PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good idea???....

MassTrike
03-09-2005, 12:39 AM
Well upcoming in September we have a local fair that takes place on the "state school" feilds back in the day they used to have helicopter rides and such but they have since been short on cash. They do have ride and so on, but I was going to go to the board that sets the whole thing up and propose a event of ATV and Dirtbike racing, the idea may sound a little strange to them at first but I figure when i mention the number of people i know for a fact will race the event (20+ people), and the thought of the money that will be brought in, they might lend an ear. they have a pretty good amount of land, 60 acres to be exact. I would like to see a MX style track, tight turns and some long strightaways with a few jumps here and there. Id also write up a waiver of some sort so they wont have to worry about getting sued if some idiot wipes out and decides to cash in on it. I see some of you guys have really cool county fairs that have all types of events.Let me know if I should go after this little dream. I know my town has some old riders from racing at southwick mx.

faf_racing
03-09-2005, 01:01 AM
Nothing wrong with your idea,its pretty cool actually. Since its not your land the may not wanna "tear it up" with atv or bikes etc... in a town close too me every year they have a fair which is included they call the "Ironman" which riders come from all over and even local and amateur riders can paticipate for like a 30$ registration fee and race this cross country track they have. its fun for all especially the kids they love too see this kind of stuff. so good luck on promoting it and hope you can get it done.

foster
03-09-2005, 12:53 PM
We did a similar thing at my club. I wasn't involved in the organizing so my details are skimpy, but I know you'd have a lot of work ahead of you -- insurance, advertising, waivers (and the proper wording of the waivers), landowners' permission, expenses, etc...
But our club organized mud-bog races. It was great! We raised over $2,000 for the local hospital with the event, and put a little change into the club's pockets, too.
Got landowner's permission, recruited local farmers to dig out the mud lanes, got the local fire department to fill the lanes with water to create the muck and the fire department were then given the opportunity to wash off the bikes for a $5 donation later (they made over $2k themselves.) Then we got the local press involved to make us all look like heroes.
It was a huge undertaking, but it worked out and it was a blast.
Here are some pics.
Good luck.