PDA

View Full Version : Scrambler opinions ? other 4x4 / sport ?

bigredhead
03-09-2005, 05:46 PM
Ok.. i'm not yet rich enough but it always starts with a dream .. within a year i'll be out to buy one i'm sure .

I'm looking for something 4x4 without the utility look to it. I've been reading up on the scrambler for last few hours, and it seems like a good option, 4x4 looks sport, auto trans, etc... but i cringe at the chain and belt drive thing, anyone able to give their 0.02 on this aspect ?

What other models offer the looks of sport, but 4 wheel drive ?

I do alot of woods trails, fire roads with mud etc....

MIK6
03-09-2005, 06:11 PM
I was in the same boat as you. I have ridden a T3 most of my life. My friends all rode Polaris Sportsmans, we would get to a mud hole and I would have to sit and watch them playing in the mud. I looked for a sporty 4X4, after riding everything out there I fell in love w/ the Kawi Prarie 700. It has a solid rear axle and a HUGE motor, it is the lightest bigbore 4X4. I know it is a auto, I wasn't sure at first but after riding a wheelie across the dealers parking lot I was sold. Kawi now has a BruteForce 650 out, it is a Prarie 700 chassis w/ a 650 motor and BF plastics for the same price as a 500cc 4X4.
Go to a bunch of dealers make them let you test ride EVERYTHING, you will find something you like.

MIK6 / Mike

Wickedfinger
03-09-2005, 07:03 PM
Obviously I'm a big Scrambler fan - but - Mik6 hit the nail on the head, get out there and see them in person and test ride all that you can. Ultimately, you will come to your own decision.

wheelie king
03-09-2005, 10:04 PM
The scram is by far the "sportiest looking" 4x4 that you can get. Also, do not sweat the belt thing. I had a 2002 Suzuki Quadrunner LTA500F (Vinson) , that was a 500 CC belt drive. The belt had to be adjusted every 1500 miles (as recommended in the manual), and that is not really that much. I had it in water to the headlights many times, and never so much as a slip. And I DOMINATED in the mud. I regulary rode (and still ride) with a Scrambler, and the Scram had the Vinson on the holeshot, but on a sandy hillclimb or all out mud romp, the Vinson was king. Out-climbed Yammie Gizzlys, Kawis, and a Honda Rubicon. The only thing that ever out- climbed me on that Vinson was a clown on a Honda Rincon with paddle tires all the way around. He had like 3 different wheel/tire combos that he'd run, and those paddles were one of his tricks.....he loved to rub that in my face.

just my .02

Good luck

brapp
03-10-2005, 12:50 AM
i had a scrambler400 4x4 and i learned my lesson dont hit the over ride button in reverse and smash the throttle my forearms are scared for life i did a wheelin in reverse on the front tires and it hurt!!!!! other than that its insane quads.

K1500
03-10-2005, 03:01 AM
I have been looking at the 500 Scrambler myself. I have an 04 Rubicon that I work with but would like something a little sportier too. I just don't know about the Polaris On Demand system. You put it in 4wd but the rear wheels have to be spinning 20% faster than the front before it engages. It might be fine but it could be tricky trying to get up a steep muddy hill.

brapp tell us how it works, does it stay engaged until you let off the throttle? I'm sure it works well, most of the swampers you see are Sportsmans.

bigredhead
03-10-2005, 12:02 PM
I'm told by a friend who's had one that i was NUTS to even consider it... on account of the 4 chain gimick setup........

Can anyone comment on that aspect ?

Dan Tenn
03-10-2005, 05:36 PM
What do you mean 4 chain gimmick setup? I have a 2001 Xplorer 4X4 its got the 400cc 2-stroke with chain rear, shaft front, on/off 4X4, and looks like a utility quad. Its the best sport utility model Ive ever seen. I beat mine hard doing yard work and such, and is also a good trail rider. Never had a problem yet.

Wickedfinger
03-10-2005, 05:40 PM
They havn't been chain in the front since 1998 man, get with the times. As far as the shaft front/chain rear goes - all I can say is that with the concentric drive system, it works great.

Lomax
03-10-2005, 05:44 PM
I just bought a 1995 Scrambler 400 4x4 tuesday night. I got it for 300 bucks, (with a blown motor but thats an easy fix on those). I always kinda wanted one but never really wanted to cough up the cash for a new one, So far from what I can tell about it, I bet its a blast to ride (ought to have it going in a week or two). I have ridden a sport 400L and those things will Haul.
As for the chain drive 4wd system there is a 500 scrammy that rides with us and its been flawless to date as long as you keep the chains oiled up and the mantienince in check.

REDMAN225
03-11-2005, 06:24 PM
i've raced my scrambler in motocross 4x4 class. i can tell you the machine handled way past my expectations and nothing bent, broke or came off. oh, if the chain didnt break from me flying off huge tabletops, then i doubt it will! trust me, the system is reliable and the scrambler is a great 4x4.

SpeedBump
03-12-2005, 01:46 PM
They can be found relatively cheap used, and it is basically a Warrior with a front differential and auto shifter. (you can put in the manual clutch from a Warrior) I have ridden a couple of them, not too bad, but a bit underpowered for deep muddin. The Kawasaki BF, well, if ya wanna plunk down THAT much money, you will have the biggest, baddest most powerful 4X4 sold today. Like some other guys have already said...personal preference comes into play. Ride a bunch, ride WITH a bunch. Read as much as you can from people that not only own them, but have owned them in the past.....some guys think whatever THEY OWN NOW, is simply the BEST thing on earth. Most times that isn't true. As for the Scramblers, my buddy has 2 of the 500 HOs, and they run fine, are dependable but are very heavy. Polaris ATVs are heavy across the board. If I were going to buy a big 4x4, I would want the lightest, most powerful one and that would cancel out any Polaris.

Wickedfinger
03-13-2005, 03:25 AM
Nobody mentioned the Yamaha Wolverine.... theres a reason for that ...........

TrikerR
03-13-2005, 03:33 AM
i work at my local polaris dealer, and we took the 03 scrambler 500 out for the weekend...man is that thing a blast. we took it to the dunes and the local trail network and we were just hammering around...never needed to put it into 4x4, even on muddy rain washed tracks. the suspension is awesome...the fox rear is so nice.

TravEX
03-13-2005, 10:31 AM
the Wolverine is a good quad to look at, rode with 1 one time, and it looked like it handled good and had decent power, dunno how it does in the mud,,,

i am a Polaris fan when it comes to 4x4's, but i would look at the Prairie 700 for a sporty 4x4, and i will never look at anything but the Polaris ATP for utility, i love mine, good power, does decent in the mud, and can haul about anything,,,

good luck, and like Wicked said, just get out there and look at em, test ride em when you can, you'll find the one that suits you!

Travis

bigredhead
03-14-2005, 11:25 AM
Hey.. i just wanted to say THANKS for the input from all you guys !... muchos gracias.

Everyone around here tells me i'm nuts to consider a scrambler. but from everything i read it seem to be a good machine.

I wish they'd come up with shaft drive front and rear.

But again. major thank you to all of you who replied !!!

Lomax
03-14-2005, 11:54 AM
The new scambler does have shaft drive to the front to lessen mantinence but the chains dont seem to be much hassle from watching that 500 that rides with us

Live4today
04-04-2006, 11:44 PM
I wanted to bring this thread up again to see if there are more opinions now, or if more people test drove different things or what not. It was interesting to read the opinions of everyone on the different 4x4's or sporty 4by's out there as I am looking myself. I have a 96 warrior and a 90 moto4 that do the trick for now though.

atvnut
04-08-2006, 08:23 AM
I bought a 95 400 scrambler new in 95.......I hope they have refined them since then....The formula sounded so good on paper! However in the real world, this machine got towed home on 80% of all rides.....In its defence, I was impressed with its performance on the 20% that it kept running.....No dealer would even take it as a trade in...I finally found a dealer 4 hours away that dealt in both polaris and arctic cat and traded it in on a arctic cat 4+4.....I swear it was like trying to sell a venerial desease!.....Therefore I would reccomend avoiding at least the early models.........I have been burnt.....I avoid ALL polarises....But thats just me... The polarises seem to be like chicken wings.....people either love them or hate them.....I hope you have better luck than I had! I would HIGHLY reccomend the Kawi 700 prairie! Ive had mine for 2 years.....Its been flawless!

mbg75
04-12-2006, 11:28 AM
i have a 2000 polaris 400 4x4 scrambler. as far as power i am running a HPD race mod kit. 70+ hp!! with this kit it has more power than any big bore utility quad out there. easily out runs most sport quads. (nothing lauches like a 2-stroke 4x4). i even have a plow set-up for it so i no longer shovel snow!

They do require more maintenece, but all in all, it is very reliable. yes, it is on the heavy side, but so are all those utility quads and big bore sports.

The 4wd kicks in almost instantaneously. however it does causes heavy steering when in 4wd due to the front wheels being fully locked in. (not a open diff, like most other 4wd's).

let me know if you have any other questions.
hope this helps.

cole2676
04-16-2006, 04:22 PM
Ive also had a 250 2 stroke polaris w/ the one belt and three chain setup. it sucks. I now have a kawi 700 kfx I know its not a 4x4 but this is one quad no polairs scamburger will touch. and as far as the rincon go's 2 of my frends have them and even they will tell you they suck. overrateted bad underpowerd and they have to put about $1000 into it to even make it compatible to other quads in its class. if you want a real 4x4 get a BRP outlander 800HO so you can pull your freinds out (sideways). any company that can dominate in snowmobiles,quads watercrafs and evan leer jets and locomotives, can get you through the mud Im sure. nothing wrong w/ the others but just take a look at what they make now, HONDA, cars YAMAHA,keyboards and fluts,SUSUKI, still make motors for ARTIC CAT cause they cant make there own.and POLARIS made in the good old USA dont have to meet the overseas shiping weight so there power to weight ratio sucks if you match it to other quads in its class, sorry I dont want to step on toes, they are all great in there own way and they all have good and bad things about them, I just think we are spending to much money for them ( BRP) the most$$$ and they dont have somthing for long and they go and change it before they even get the bugs worked out. and we are stuck w/ a pile of s**t that the parts cost to much for because they only made them for a short time. thats why the banshee and the 250rs were the best bikes you could get. they made them for so long and still one of the best sellers be cause they did not change, they were proven and they worked. sorry for rambleing just had to some crap off my mind.

conig
04-20-2006, 04:08 PM
mines 2x4 and I adsolutely love it, the chai mantenace for the rear is an absolute breeze compared to any other chain drive ive owned it never really gets loose so its just a spray of chain lube every other ride or so.

they can be tempermental to jetting when modded out but at 60+hp(mine is anything but stock) out of any machine that should be expected. it your looking for more info gen2usa.com is a great site.

cole2676
04-21-2006, 12:11 AM
sounds like a fun ride, you've got a lot of good aftermarket parts. how is it for jumps and handling.