PDA

View Full Version : oil question

bigb9582
03-20-2005, 11:43 PM
i got a question about 2-stroke engine oil. do they make a RED 2 stroke engine oil?? ive only seen green and blue. here's why i ask.
my buddy has a 2002 yamaha blaster and it a 2 stroke. 2 weeks ago we were out riding and he was geting low on oil. so we drove across a feild that comes up behind a gas station. he went in a bought a qt. of AMOCO 2 cycle oil. it was red and it really didnt smell like 2 cycle oil. it said it was for oil injection which he has so he used it even tho he didnt want to because thats all they had and he would have ran out for the long hall back. we got back home and stop riding for the night. then two days later we went riding again and about 1/2hr worth of riding later the engine locked up tight. he kept it well maintaned has never had a problem until he put the red oil in. so we went back to the gas station with the remaining oil to ask a few questions only to find out they stoped carring AMOCO oil the day before.??? they gave him a number to call the head manager who said he will look into it and call him back. two weeks went by with no answer. so he called again today and got no one to answer the phone.

lisnup65
03-21-2005, 09:10 AM
I am not sure, but it sounds like tranny fluid to me.

bigb9582
03-21-2005, 02:01 PM
thats what i said it looked like.

sblt500r
03-21-2005, 02:10 PM
i've seen red 2 stroke oil but it was premix. i think its torqo. not meant for oil injection. how low was the tank? if it was real low he might have sucked in air and screwed up the suction.

bigb9582
03-21-2005, 08:45 PM
update
they finaly called him back today. the guy has been searching the warehouse to try to find the oil and he finally found some. he thought it was a joke until he found a lonely box in the corner that had a few qts. in it. he said he took a qt home to check it out. he highly beleives the oil is trans fluid put in the wrong bottle. he then said that he has a meeting with head boss's tomarrow and he gonna bring it up. if they all agrea its trans fluid bottled wrong, AMOCO will be shipping him a new engine for his blaster. hopefuly it all works out for him.

bigb9582
03-21-2005, 08:48 PM
i've seen red 2 stroke oil but it was premix. i think its torqo. not meant for oil injection. how low was the tank? if it was real low he might have sucked in air and screwed up the suction.

it wasnt low enough that the light came on yet. but it would have on the way back. and he didnt want to take his chance of running to low.
the bottle said it was for both premix and injection systems. thats why he got it.

03 ORANGE SHEE
03-21-2005, 09:57 PM
i use klotz, its red

TimSr
03-21-2005, 10:26 PM
Lots of general purpose two stroke oils are red, such as Valvoline, and a lot of chainsaw oils.

twgranger
03-21-2005, 10:29 PM
i use klotz, its red
Same here. I use Klotz R50 synthetic oil and it is red. Smells good too. :p