PDA

View Full Version : TRX 250R gasket gasket ?

lisnup65
03-25-2005, 04:37 PM
Since the TRX I got had cracked cases, I have pulled the motor apart and had the cases welded up. I purchased a K&S gasket kit, but the head gasket seems way to thick. The part # they give matches the head gasket # for a OEM Honda gasket though. The one that was on the machine was like my 85 250R motor and it appears thinner. Should I just use a gasket from the 85 gasket kit or should I put the one that came with the TRX kit on? The gasket that came off the machine is .040 thick and the 3 layer metal gasket that came with the kit is .090.

x.system
03-25-2005, 08:43 PM
I would use the paper gasket and stay away from those all metal gaskets, I've had nothing but problems with those. I tried the all metal gasket about 2 months ago and it blew within about 2 hours right before a race. I had a paper gasket just in case of this and changed it out right before a race and it has held up like they usually do. You can get a 3 layer paper gasket and use it all or use one of two sizes if you split it. You can change your compression by using different thickness material. You can also use a cr gasket but I have never done this. How were your case's? any bad cracks internally?

lisnup65
03-25-2005, 08:50 PM
I would use the paper gasket and stay away from those all metal gaskets, I've had nothing but problems with those. I tried the all metal gasket about 2 months ago and it blew within about 2 hours right before a race. I had a paper gasket just in case of this and changed it out right before a race and it has held up like they usually do. You can get a 3 layer paper gasket and use it all or use one of two sizes if you split it. You can change your compression by using different thickness material. You can also use a cr gasket but I have never done this. How were your case's? any bad cracks internally?

Thanks for the info!!

The cases were great actually. Not a single crack internally. The oil leaking into the crank area had to be from a bad crank seal on the clutch side. I pick the cases up tomorrow from the welder. I was only charged $20.00 for the weld up which is a lot better than the $400.00 + for new cases.