PDA

View Full Version : Howdys Super Bowl party Update:

Howdy
01-27-2003, 12:33 PM
Welp, we had our 14th Annual Super Bowl party at the shop last night. Do to weather and some sick kids it was a smaller turn out ( 14 or so ) than normal. The regulars ( 8 people ) that couldn't come did call and we got to chat with them during the game.

The game was boring in the 2nd & 3rd quarters ( in my opinion ). But we normally are there to watch the commercials. Who watched the game? What was your favorite commercial? Mine was undoubtly the Fed EX one. I think it rated as #1 at the shop also. lol

We did have some excitement at the shop with 10 minutes left in the game. For you to understand it I need to give a little description of the Barn/Shop/Party Room. The barn that houses everything is 40'x64'.
The North 24'x40' is the shop work area/ motor storage. It houses our wood burning furnace for heating.
Then the middle 24'x40' is the ( un-heated ) storage area
The Southern 16'x40' of the barn is the party room. It is a" Got to see it to believe it kind of room." The Party room is carpeted and has 3 sofas ( 1 hide a bed style ), a 54" TV, "Make Trax" video game, Poker table, Kitchenette, with refrigerator, microwave, ect. The room has forced air heating via a Howdy built "Junk Yard Wars ( J.Y.W. ) style fan ". The fan blows heat into the room and returns the same amount of air back to the shop area of the barn.

Ok, now the excitement: We were in the party room and I smelled something HOT. I ran to the shop to investigate. I found the fan motor on the furnace burned up ( not the J.Y.W. fan, It is separate ). Thankfully the fan ( J.Y.W.) for the Party room was running good. It was keeping just enough air flowing to prevent a fire in the shop ( furnace was over heating ). We jury rigged another motor we had quickly onto the furnace fan and got it running again very temporarily. As soon as the game was over we had no choice but to shovel out the furnace completely to get it cooled down. After looking at the furnace motor we found the motor wiring had literally melted. So now the shop is without heat until the furnace can be pulled out and a complete new fan set up can be installed. Part of the reason for the motor burning up is the bearings in the fan went bad and the other is we stoked the furnace up too hot ( because of the real cold weather). I doubt it happens again. lol We learned our lesson.

In final: We are 100% sure that if both fans would have failed the shop would have burned to the ground. With over 60 machines in it plus tires, gas, oil, ect the fire would have been huge. Quick thinking Saved the shop ( and all the Trikes ) for another day.

The best News: Everyone that was at the Party is fine. They decided with only 3 minutes left in the game they knew with out a doubt who was going to win and they started packing up and heading out. They all voweled to be back for the Fish fry on Good Friday. We will have the furnace repaired and put back in service and tested before then ( hopefully within 2-3 days ).
Sorry this is so long but I just had to explain it.

Thanks
Howdy

theeechozen1
01-27-2003, 04:29 PM
I'd have to go with the upsidedown clown commerse from bud, that would be my favorite

J.D.
01-27-2003, 06:09 PM
Mine was DEFINATELY the "Office Linebacker" commercial from Reebok, that huge linebacker tackling guys in the office then screaming at them was hilarious.

Howdy
01-27-2003, 06:25 PM
The clown was right up in the top rankings at the shop. #2 or #3
The "Office Linebacker" was good also. How ever it didn't make the top 5 on our list. It was about the Cadillac commercial though. lol

I just wished I would have gotten to see all the commercials. A few too many beers and lots of stuff going on prohibited me from watching them all. lol
Howdy

theeechozen1
01-27-2003, 06:33 PM
You have over 60 machines!!! Holy Schnikeies!!! Did you get the pics I e-mailed to you to resize of the tri-rz?? Also do you have a left case half for a 85-89 250r in that huge barn there somewhere that you would like to sell?? thanx
gene

Howdy
01-27-2003, 06:35 PM
I just finished the pictures and sent them to you. I don't have any 250r motor parts to my knowledge.
Howdy