PDA

View Full Version : A story of a stubburn 200x (long)

200xkwit
04-02-2005, 03:21 PM
Well up until a few minutes ago I thought I had had the worst luck ever possible with an ATC know to man..

I got home from school at around 2:45 yesterday afternoon with the notion in my head of taking my newly fresh build 200x out for a trouble free ride. aaaahhh yes a trouble free ride....its been so long sence ive made it out of my yard and out into the wilderness for a trouble free ride. Wasteing no time at all I went inside the house and threw on my riding pants and shirt and grabbed a small overthro jacket and my boots and headed out side to the shed. Yup there she is sitting there so fresh and so innocent just waiting for a gental breakin ride. 5 kicks and shes purring like a kittin. Now you can imagine my excitment after rebuilding this engine about 8 or nine times in the course of 2 years, which for me is 8/9 to many!! well after an entire engine overhual goin thro everything and everthing over agian and have hopfully found every kink that was ever kinked in this motor for the last 20 years its been around, I am ready to take this beast for a ride. Off I go, nice and smooth runs good. out I set down the road and down the train tracks.. really far down the train tracks as a matter of fact. Well I went out into the boonies for a while up to just about every riding spot I knew off those particular train tracks. Id been gone for about 2 and a half hours(stopping and letting the motor cool off every 30 minutes of course to help out the break in) carful not to so much as blib the engine....really babying this one. On my way back I was riding mid range speed around bottom of 4th gear mid high 3rd and she quites out on me yup nothing no pop no clink clink clunk like I had preaveously heard those so many disasterous times before. Ok so hold on I thought to myself recooperate dont hurt yourself here... no clunck no clank just a blank engine that happend to have huge amounts of compression. were better off then we have been. Nothin else to do besides start walkin ( come on I know some of yea been there with me!! lol ) well I walked too 2 houses with no one being home and the third house I go to a very nice guy came to the door and I asked him for the phone and called dad ... dad.**** broke.bring.truck in dada dada dada on dada dada st lol dont tell me im the only one to ever have this happen to them!. Although I couldnt help but laugh at the situation I wasnt too worried about the motor due to the high levels of compression it had and how it sh*t the bed, and the fact this guy let me chill on his pourch while my dad was on his way to pick me and the bike up. I was talkin with the guy and he told me how he just bought a quad for his daughter(she was pretty good looking by the way) and he asked me a whole bunch of questions about the trike and stuff and we bulshited for a bout a half hour or so. Well dad came scooped me and the bike and we went home and I went to bed ... had to sleep this one off I was pretty pissed the more I thought about how much I just spent on this damn thing.

well woke up this moring and its raining out but I decided I had to find out what was wrong with it. First things first so I put a new spark plug in and nothing. Then I took off the cover for the cdi box and .. whats this?? score! the little pin that goes on the cam shaft spindle fell in my hand .. put it back in and started her up (started a little rough) but she started and ran great!!! ..damn I was lucky could you imagine that little pin goin down the cam chain pit into the gears!!!!!!!! whole mess of metal lol .. that had to be the luckyest thing in the world lol .. I guess maybe shes not as bad as I made her out to be when I cussed her out yesterday huh lol

let hear your unfourtunte stories!!

MTS
04-02-2005, 03:26 PM
use some red loctite on that little pin and it wont fall out...:)

chris200x
04-02-2005, 03:38 PM
You would of saved yourself a long walk if you had a screwdriver with you. lol. I usually use the "phonecall" as the last resort. Usually if something happens like you described no major bang or clink. It is something simple. It always helps not going riding alone too. Seems like everytime I used to go out alone something would happen. Not mechanical but usually sinking it in a puddle or creek! lol

4cylinders
04-02-2005, 09:07 PM
hey, that's what loctite is for, saves a lot of walking. glad you got it fixed, good work.

chris200x
04-02-2005, 11:44 PM
I know what your going through with your 200x. I took my motor to have it done (it was in 1000 peices) and the morons assembled it all back together nice. Get it home mount it back up. Try to start it...NO SPARK. Then to my dismay I found out that the fricken sprocket shaft is rounded and useless. So now the motor has to come back out and have to split the cases again. If this 200x was a horse I'd shoot it. When will it end.

250r83
04-03-2005, 08:16 AM
Last year, I needed a new machine. I came across this really nice 250r, all stock and started right up. I bought it for $1000. Got it home and tried to start it, wouldn't run right. Worked on it for a week and finally found out that one of the jet parts was missing where the air and gas mixes. Once I changed that, it worked fine. First day out riding with my brother and his 350x we had a great time, on the way home it is a nice long stretch of road riding, we were racing and @$@#^#&, siezed..... Checked it out and the cylinder scorched and rings gone. Had it rebuilt, new piston, honed and new rings and gasket kit. Bought a spare engine on E-bay that was supposed to run in ther interim. Put back together, my brother and I went pit riding, YEAH, great power and ran like a charm. Next ride we take it out on a lake and are racing @$@#$%&, seized..... Put in the spare engine that I bought, JUNK (damn lying sack of crap seller on ebay scammed me, pison was the wrong size and it slaps around in there.) See previous solution. Put the bike back together, runs great. I take it out for a mellow maiden ride and it does a major hiccup. I baby it home, put a for sale sign on it for $900 bucks. First guy that stops, I tell him the story and he buys it and the parts for what I'm asking. I have a Lakota 300 right now but I want another second machine 250r, that one was cursed I think. The worse is I get to hear all the #$%^@$ stories from my brother how his 350x is a two stroke killer all the time.

Scott

SPD FRK
04-04-2005, 12:23 PM
I was a few miles from camp once and thought I was so smart to have a spare plug with me. Hard to replace it with no wrench though. I did discover that its easier to push a trike home backwards.
200Xkwit, your best bit of luck that day was meeting that cutie. Get back there and see if she wants to go riding sometime.

84honda 200X
04-04-2005, 05:39 PM
Lol i had the same thing happen to me only i had replaced the timeing chain and i think i forgot to tighten that bolt that holds the cdi and everything together. Well i went town the road about 100 yards from my garage when it just died like yours and it had the same symtoms as your but mine fired one time then it died and backfired that sounded like a 22 goin off. So i brought it back to my garage took the cdi apart and found the little cam pin missing. Started looking at it and it didnt look right so i threw it away and grabbed another cam pin and put it in hasnt given me trouble since.

Cheap250
04-04-2005, 11:58 PM
well a couple of months ago my 185S exhuast broke in half, i had it welded but not very well (with holes) but it kept it together, a little stuff called max steel(like jd weld) and it would run like new, wrong the stuff stank nasty as hell until it burned off, well after i finally stopped smelling like fried metal everywhere i went the electrical gave me problems. replaced all the parts from my parts bike (200S) and still couldnt figure out what was wrong with it, i put it up for the winter and decided i would tackle it in the spring, my friends had planned a ride for spring break that was 2-3 days long and i was the only one with a trike who wanted to go, so i as soon as i got home from hearing this i tried desperatly to sell my machines, to scrape up 400 bucks and buy a yamaha 225DX that was in near mint condition from my friend's uncle. realizing i was going to be able to sell them in time i decided to go under the flywheel and clean any electrical connections underneath it. my 185S didnt seem to like that idea very much and didnt want the flywheel to come off, well after a whole weekend of trying and 6 bent bolts later we figured the flywheel wasnt going to come off even with a puller so we put the recoil and other components back on and left it for a couple hours, later my friend arrived and we went in the garage to try to regain spark, i went through and wire brushed all the electrical connections to find that 2 wires had gotten plugged together that shouldnt have been thus cause my machine to lose spark fixed that problem cleaned the carb and air filter got a new plug and got the slip on off of my 200S to put on my 185S and have tons of bottom end torque, the slip on was gutted and ran straight through unfourtanately we live in the middle of the village and i cant run it very often here so i brought it to my friends house in the country, shut it off to discover the pull starter wont catch and turn the engine over. popstart the machine and ride it back to my house to plunge back into the recoil, cracked the round thing on the inside in three different places and had to use the 200S recoil with no problems but now the recoil rope is too short but will get fixed along with my much needed new motor mounts and im still look forward to spanking a blaster or two during spring break