PDA

View Full Version : Crappy Mechanic's

smokinwrench
04-03-2005, 11:50 PM
Just a little note to all of you that wrench on your own machines. Make dang sure you tighten all bolts and buy a repair manual so you know what your doing.

I just bought a used 400EX and because someone was to stupid to tighten bolts properly caused me a breakdown, I just got lucky it wasn't a serious one. Looks like they installed a stage 2 hot cam and forgot to tighten the bolts down that hold the cam gear on. The bolts came out and grooved out the side of the head before coming clear out and causing everything to fall off and bend the gear. Looks like I can repair it right now for about $200 (if the valves aren't bent) and thats just because I got lucky.

Moral of the story if your unsure of how to or if you can fix it, it might be cheaper in the long run to pay someone to repair it for you.

MTS
04-04-2005, 12:02 AM
that sucks, i had quite the oppisate tho, who ever had the tri-z befor me went freaking crazy with red loctite....even on the cylinder base gasket!! and axel nuts too.....not i nice experiance getting half a bottel of red loctite off crap..lol

Yamahauler
04-04-2005, 12:08 AM
When I opened the clutch cover on my Tri-Moto, I found both clutch nuts were loose(i spun them off with my bare fingers) They had been taken off with a chisle so you couldn't get a socket around them, so i bought new ones.
The shift shaft had a hose clamp around it, I took it off and it was fine, i dont know why it was on there.

1984kxtTECATE
04-04-2005, 01:04 AM
I took my Tecate into the shop and got it back, I took it up to browns camp oregon, (lots of dirt trails) I was shootin up a hill and threw the chain, and the axle housing shifted, it was because the f***** service people at the honda shop didnt tighten it up.

3 weelin geezer
04-05-2005, 02:46 AM
Hmmm....Mine had a red shop towel air filter. Guess they thought why spend the money on a k&n filter when its just the same. Its red and made up of cotton. Forgot to put oil in the 'element' though. Had to rebore it to make it stop burning oil. I wonder when the oil filter has been cleaned last? I must remeber to check it whenever this damn wind dies down a bit.

TrikeKid
04-05-2005, 03:46 AM
I took my Tecate into the shop and got it back, I took it up to browns camp oregon, (lots of dirt trails) I was shootin up a hill and threw the chain, and the axle housing shifted, it was because the f***** service people at the honda shop didnt tighten it up.
If i'm thinking of the hill youre talking about that would definately not be fun. I kinda doubt some so called mechanic's abilities sometimes. My dad bought an old Yamaha from a guy with a business of restoring old moto crossers. While working on it we found most bolts to be loose, not have loctite where it would be a very good idea and many larger fastners like swing arm bolts and axel nuts to not have cotter pins in them at all.

03 ORANGE SHEE
04-08-2005, 01:48 PM
sounds like you might want to switch back to yamaha :p i remember how much the shee gave ya problems

jenndnn3
04-08-2005, 03:00 PM
Two words. Torque specs!!!

smokinwrench
04-10-2005, 10:24 PM
Two words. Torque specs!!!

Got it running yesterday afternoon. My boy torqued the head for me and gaped the plug. I'm teaching him young he's only 6.

I have ridden it craploads the last 2 days. The more I ride it the better I like it.

3 weelin geezer
04-11-2005, 01:21 AM
You think you have a bad mechanic, huh? What is this part in the pic? Its not a clutch or a reverse brake drum.

Howdy
04-11-2005, 08:43 AM
You think you have a bad mechanic, huh? What is this part in the pic? Its not a clutch or a reverse brake drum.

That is the oil rotor for a 185-200cc Honda motor. It bolts onto the centrifical clutch. The oil rotor spins ( with the clutch / crank ) and seperates junk in the oil as it flows through. Thus this oil rotor is actually a cleanable oil filter.

Do I get a cookie? lmao j/k
Howdy

3 weelin geezer
04-11-2005, 09:15 AM
Yup ya get a cookie (although I had a beer BUT since you prefer a cookie...) The key word here is 'cleanable' like it ever had been...NOT! I guess the previous owner didn't know it even had one. The nastiness on there was about 10 mm high. Enough to make some brake lining materials with it.