PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use a Camelbak?

Dammit!
04-10-2005, 03:55 PM
Saw some dude sporting one of these (http://dirt-bikes.ridegear.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/shop/Hydration_Systems/F-16651_Lobo.html?L+scstore+bpxn8092ff32ac32+1113170 326) at the dunes. Didn't talk to him though. Just wondering if they're annoying when you ride at all. Having some water and a pocket for my camera would be really nice to have next time I go out there.

There's a ton of different models (http://dirt-bikes.ridegear.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/shop/Hydration_Systems.html?L+scstore+bpxn8092ff32ac32+ 1113169247). The "lobo" just seems like the right size for what I want to use it for.

TrikeKid
04-10-2005, 05:20 PM
I've ridden with people that use them they are constantly having to stop and piss every 20 minutes.

Power_Ram100
04-10-2005, 06:23 PM
I have a Camelbak MULE, i use it for MT. biking. It holds alot of water. I put Gatoraide in it cuz the plasitc bladder makes the water tast like crap. When the baldder is full there is some room for food etc.. Usually i dont use it cuz i ride a big red that has storage, but now I have a tri z so i guess ill give it a try.

TrikerR
04-10-2005, 06:50 PM
thats the exact model i have...great for riding, has space for some little mucnies, a camera and a couple of tools. they're also quite comfortable as they are small and hug your back, is you use the waist strap, it dosent move at all.

atczack
04-10-2005, 07:15 PM
I got one too. I like it. I only wear it every so often, but it work's good.

Red Rider
04-10-2005, 07:32 PM
I use a Jansport hydration pack. It makes your back a little bit sweaty, but it works great & eliminates the need to head back to camp real soon for liquids, other than gas of course. It's comfortable & you'll hardly notice it's there. It's the same basic thing as a Camelbak, but less expensive. While paying less for the Jansport was nice, the main selling point was that it wasn't a Camelbak. Camelbak supports too many organizations that are against off-roaders. So basically, when you purchase a Camelbak, a portion of your money goes towards the potential closing of your favorite riding areas.

ScottZJ
04-10-2005, 11:51 PM
I use a Mule also, 100oz of your favorite beverage. It works great for any type of riding, mountain biking, MX, trails riding, trikes and so on.........peace

ATC-Eric
04-11-2005, 02:52 AM
I would suggest the Lobo just because i have one. I like to call it my man purse. It holds two litters, has a big poket for all your junk, an its just small enough not to get on your nerves.

md1985250r
04-11-2005, 06:27 PM
Go with a camel back zip tied to your CHEST PROTECTOR. Safety is a MUST!!!Works great for me , I can take a drink while roosting on my buddies... :D :D

GREG

Dammit!
04-12-2005, 12:52 AM
Camelbak supports too many organizations that are against off-roaders. So basically, when you purchase a Camelbak, a portion of your money goes towards the potential closing of your favorite riding areas.

That seems pretty retarded. Where did you find this out at?

MTS
04-12-2005, 01:01 AM
I use a Mule also, 100oz of your favorite beverage. It works great for any type of riding, mountain biking, MX, trails riding, trikes and so on.........peace
100oz of my favriote beverage....i really really shouldnt be usin that while riding ;)

Red Rider
04-12-2005, 03:42 AM
That seems pretty retarded. Where did you find this out at?
I remembered an article that ran in Dirt Bike magazine a while back. When you questioned me on my source, I decided to do a little searching and came up with this:
http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/jul2000/mhobbs/
I may have put too much trust into Dirt Bike's article, and bad-mouthed Camelbak as a result. But, then again, running ads in the Sierra Club's magazine may not have been the smartest business move on Camelbak's part either. You decide.

SoCalDesertRider
04-13-2005, 12:40 AM
I have heard the same thing about Camelback in other sources too. I don't know how true it is, but I bought an MSR (Malcolm Smith Racing) Hydrocell pack that zip ties to the back of my chest protector and holds about 55 oz of water. I put a Camelback bite valve on it with a shutoff valve before the bite valve so it doesn't leak water while I'm riding.

I like the water pack, it's real convenient to have on longer rides and I don't even feel it back there at all. Having it on the chest protector eliminates the sweaty back problem with the backpack style water packs.

The only bad thing about it is maintenancing the water bladder so it doesn't get moldy inside. I bleach it, but then the water tastes like bleach if I don't rinse it out really good. Oh well, it's better than bein thirsty and having nothin to drink!

It's called the MSR Hydrocell Race, cost about $40 in the Rocky Mtn ATV/MC catalog.

ATC-Eric
04-26-2005, 12:16 AM
Dosent make any sense,

I went to buy a new 2 liter blatter for my camelbak lobo, and it was $35! :eek:

I ended up looking down the shelf, and found a brand new bag that held 2 liters for the same price :wondering

Needless to say, i now own 2 camelbaks.

bigredhead
04-26-2005, 09:43 AM
I buy a 2 L bottle of water on the way to the trail and bungee it to the rear rack. Done.

another option for hot summers.. is to fill a 2 liter bottle 1/3 of the way up.. put it in the freezer sideways.. ( make sure water does not block the cap.. ) before you go.. top it off with cold water and you are good to go for a whole day !

We stop often enough on the trail, that it's not a problem to get a drink .. if i'm thirsty.. i hit the brakes.. stop where ever i may be.. and have a sip.

Riding the desert might be a different story tho.. mot much shade out there i hear !!LOL

Tucson 200x
04-28-2005, 11:35 PM
Beer in the six pack rack and one small bottle of water next to the beer :D :D :D

Live4today
05-01-2005, 10:12 PM
And this is why I love this site. I was thinking about getting one, but then just thought about carrying a backpack with some food and drink in it. People say these things have small spaces to hold a camera, and junk food or whatever, and you gotta stop to get the camera out to take a picture MOST OF THE TIME, and same thing with eating munchies, so I could drink whatever I have packed then. I'll save the $35, or $40 for some gas. With these gas prices, it's needed.

Live4today
05-14-2005, 02:11 AM
Found one at the local Wal-Mart for $18. Decided what the hell, I'll give it a shot. And it does have quite a bit of room to put stuff too!