PDA

View Full Version : My New Trikes Got Held A The Border!!

Yamahauler
04-10-2005, 07:18 PM
I just went down to the states and I bought two Tri-Z's from a guy on the board today.
I had phoned customs to see what you had to do to import trikes, they said, you need a bill of sale and a title. So Ive got that, I get to the border, the guys phoning around everywhere trying to figure out if i can take them through. everywheres coming up that they dont know.
The customs guy had two papers, one said any 3 wheeled atv's 15 years or newer CANNOT be imported, my trikes are 20 years old. Another paper said NO 3 wheeled ATV's can be imported.
I just phoned another port, they said any trikes 15 years or older can be brought across, and this guy said he was sure.
I'm confused right now.
If I can't bring them across I dont know what the hell i'm going to do with them.

does anyone know anything about importing trikes?

Maine_Triker
04-10-2005, 07:35 PM
I know I had one heck of a hard time trying to bring my 350X into Canada, and we were just driving through, coming back to the US!! Good luck man.

atczack
04-10-2005, 07:52 PM
Man, that **edited**! I know it would be super expensive, but if worse come's to worst you can take them apart and mail them across the border! That would cost an arm and a leg though.

deathman53
04-10-2005, 08:21 PM
I would say take them apart and put the parts in your truck and ship the frames, then technicly you aren't transporting trikes, just all the parts minus the frames.

350x'inNY
04-10-2005, 08:34 PM
Hmmm... I was thinking about this when I was coming back from MI last weekend. I thought for sure I was going to get searched! I had all my speedo/tach stuff, and about all my ATC goodies and toys too! I'm glad that that Honda dealer offered to ship all those tires I bought for $20 total! Else I'm sure I'd of gotten stopped!

A friend of mine in Canada has some nice ridding, and I was also wondering about Kintore coming down sometime to go riding. If I'm an American taking it into Canada am I OK? Can a Canadian come into the US with a trike? Would they check/tag your plates to make sure you came back with it? hmmmm... :wondering.

Yamahauler
04-10-2005, 08:37 PM
that way i can't get them registered up here.
i'll see if i can get it through this port. if not i'll try other ones. from wat i'm hearing now, the guy that was working the border is kind of a jerk and dopesnt let stuff go through very easy.
we'll see how it blows over

BIGCRIP28
04-10-2005, 08:38 PM
build some armor for your truck and just ram through dont stop for anything

foster
04-10-2005, 08:55 PM
It is legal to import trikes -- I'm sure of that. I looked it up once AND I called customs. Not so sure about the age restrictions but I believe that is correct also. It doesn't apply to you anyway.
Once the border-dude figures out what the law is, he'll probably let 'em through. Patience and good luck, man.

Yamahauler
04-10-2005, 08:58 PM
dont you mean isnt?

Yamahauler
04-10-2005, 08:59 PM
whoops never mind i thought you said illegal
my bad

MTS
04-10-2005, 09:20 PM
just unload them and drive them through a field and have your friend meat you on the other side with the pick up if worst comes to worst, the border is EASY to cross between canada and us...specally in BC ther is the Canadian road, a little ditch like 2 feet wide then the amarican road haha

chris200x
04-10-2005, 10:10 PM
Too bad you didn't live in Mexico!!! Seems like they have no trouble getting anything across the boarder.

Mobular
04-10-2005, 10:15 PM
OK, I've been through this before. You have to do some legwork, and know their game when importing trikes. This can be approached a few different ways. First you need to download the Canada Customs tarrifs 2005 PDF file http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/general/publications/tariff2005/winzip-e.html . Read up on the codes and tarriffs. Than you need to find all of the applicable tarrifs and items that they may try to stall you on. Try these:
8703.21.10.00 it's for a non amphibious ATV...6.1% duties applicable.
8714.19.00.00 this can be used if you are bringing in ATV parts, again no duties applicable.
8711.30.00 motorcycles and cycles.... with an internal combustion reciprocating engine exceeding 50cc, but not 250cc(specifically All Terrain Cycles).
8711.30.00 motorcycles and cycles with an internal combustion reciprocating engine exceeding 250cc, but not 500cc (specifically All Terrain Cycles).

I've never had a problem once they are given the proper tarrifs codes. Good luck!

straight pipe
04-10-2005, 11:06 PM
this sucks!! i'll talk to the gretna border guys here, one of em owes me a favor so i'll see what i can do. that's if the tarrif codes don't work. good luck!
but if all else fails taking em up in pieces would work....if this is the route you'll take pm me in trackshare and i'll help ya out.....my only price is you'll have to let me have the second ride. :naughty:

hrc200x
04-10-2005, 11:36 PM
That is how I got my first 3 wheeler, a guy came from Thunder Bay Ontario to Duluth, Minnesota to buy a atc 70. Tried getting it back accross the boarder and they woudn't let it through. Luckly the guy that purchaced the trike had a friend in my home town which is only 20 miles from the boarder and left it at his house, the guys house it got left at my dad knew and a few weeks later I was driving around a 70.

I've often wondered if you could dissasemble part of it and bring it accross in parts. Say the fork assembly is for a dirt bike, and the rest is for a 4 wheeler or somthing.

Mobular
04-10-2005, 11:56 PM
There is no need to lie about parts being for some other "legit" machine. Just use the above parts tarrifs code and it'll all go smoothly. Just educate yourself at their game, and they can't blow any sunshine up where it does not belong. And there is no absolute "ban" on the importation of trikes into Canada. There is just wording that no 3 wheeled ATV made past 1987 may not be imported. None of those around to worry about...........

Yamahauler
04-10-2005, 11:57 PM
i cant get those tariffs to open, I have Adobe, but its saying it is a .MDB file not .PDF. I'm praying to god i can get these things up here.
were is the gretna border?
I know i could get the across if i went to Emerson, but that is miles and miles away, so if this one was closer...
I'm phoning the RIV office tomorrow. see what they have to say. they are supposed to know about all of this.

I phoned another port today and the guy there said that there was no problem bring them across if they were over 15 years old.
I phoned the port back that didnt let me cross, I told him what the other guy said and he started yelling at me, he was yelling so loud my mom could here what he was saying, and she was in another room. I just yelled to him, "IM SORRY!, GOODBYE" and I hung up.
wish me luck

Mobular
04-11-2005, 12:15 AM
OK, call back the other crossing and speak to the officer that said that the trikes are allowed in. Have him quote to you, the appropriate code(s) and if at all possible send a copy of the pages. Take these with you when you pick up your machines. If you still get flak, as to see the senior inspector and have him run the items through. Do not let it go until you have the trikes at home. It CAN be done without a problem. This one guy is just being a flake...

MassTrike
04-11-2005, 12:15 AM
Thats crappy, these border patrolmen should know the laws if they take on the job, its not a guessing game, he should have the book right in front of him.

dizasterzrfun69
04-11-2005, 02:56 AM
Too bad you didn't live in Mexico!!! Seems like they have no trouble getting anything across the boarder.

hahahhahahaha good point! :D

Yamahauler
04-11-2005, 06:59 PM
I drove to the border this morning and It wasnt the same guy that was working sunday on the canada side, so that was good.
I phoned there and they said after phoning around it was fine, i could take them across, so I get all excited.
I was going to go get them and I went to check through the American customs, they said we need the bill of sale and the title, so i only had the title for the good one and the Bill of sales for both, they said that was fine and they would put a parts title on the junker one or something.
I asked how long it would take, they said 72 hours. They've got to find out if it was stolen and stuff like that.
So I'm going down tonight to see the trikes and I'm going to make sure that the VIN number and engine code are the same on the bike as the bill of sale because I never checked before.
I hope that the same guy is working at Canada custom on thursday that was working today, or else I'll end up having to phone a hundred differant places trying to convince him i can do it.

ATC crazy
04-11-2005, 07:49 PM
Just post a yard sale 50' from the border... LOL

Go to a nearby library and print out the laws, shove them in their border patrol's face and drive right on through... But seriously, good luck getting it through their thick heads

RabidPitWeasle
04-11-2005, 08:21 PM
Problem is most of the "border patrol" are newer people who don't know the laws or are to dumb to look them up and nobody wants to take the flack for allowing those wicked 3wheeled animals into canada. Hope you get them over the border Cory you sure are persistant enough. Did you get the name and rank of the guy who was giving you so much of a prob? If so let the other border dudes know what a chimp he was .

Yamahauler
04-11-2005, 08:57 PM
Ya, everyone knows this guy from my family, no one can stand him.
I actually just got back from where my trikes are being held, I moved them out of sight, i dont want them to get stolen. I also checked the VIN's and Engine Codes and found an error on the Bill of Sale. I forgot a few letters when i was typing it out. I told the US Customs about it and they said it was no big problem since the title said the VIN # anyway.
I should be getting them on thursday.
The guy working the Canadian border was the same guy as yesterday. He said he now knows I can import them when the US is done what they are doing.

I'm pretty sure it'll work out.

MTS
04-11-2005, 09:05 PM
soooo what kinda shape are the Z's in :D?

350x'inNY
04-11-2005, 09:20 PM
SO did I break the law dropping some parts off in Canada to Kintore? :wondering

Bruce

Russell 350X
04-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Thats kinda stupid they won't let you cross the border. Good luck with it.

Russ

straight pipe
04-11-2005, 11:09 PM
Ya, everyone knows this guy from my family, no one can stand him.
I actually just got back from where my trikes are being held, I moved them out of sight, i dont want them to get stolen. I also checked the VIN's and Engine Codes and found an error on the Bill of Sale. I forgot a few letters when i was typing it out. I told the US Customs about it and they said it was no big problem since the title said the VIN # anyway.
I should be getting them on thursday.
The guy working the Canadian border was the same guy as yesterday. He said he now knows I can import them when the US is done what they are doing.

I'm pretty sure it'll work out.
right on man! that's the spirit. post pics when you get them up here. still can't believe the ignorance of these border guys. it's all good!

Yamahauler
04-14-2005, 07:16 PM
I Got them across today, it was pretty smooth, no problems there. These things are as fast as hell. Were going riding tomorrow, i cant wait!

renotrikeguy
04-14-2005, 08:56 PM
Gongrats on finally getting your trikes home...

RabidPitWeasle
04-14-2005, 09:48 PM
Glad to hear it Cory! had me worried for awile keep "old yeller" running strong. I'll see about that Tecate 3 here in town next time I see that guy, being you have the border thing all taken care of now.

Yamahauler
04-15-2005, 04:57 AM
yep, I'm still interested in that, even though I have no money left!

Thanks

ClayW
04-18-2005, 10:01 PM
Bruce loves to break the law! :cool: What a criminal :eek: LMAO! :D

250r'en +TCB
05-06-2005, 08:09 PM
the US canada is a long open border, so if all else fails sneak them across. I have ridden across a bunch od times on my snowmobile

Yamahauler
05-06-2005, 08:34 PM
I already got them across 3 weeks ago. I wouldnt sneek them across, for one reason, if you get caught, you'll get the bikes impounded, that would be a stupid idea

Kintore
05-06-2005, 08:53 PM
SO did I break the law dropping some parts off in Canada to Kintore? :wondering

Bruce

ahaha Bruce, first time I read that. Its all fine and dandy. Just parts and not the whole machine I think is ok.

Like ClayW said your such a criminal! lol just kidding.

darrel632
08-08-2005, 10:17 AM
You could try registering and insuring them in Canada; put the plates on them toss them on a trailer and lie through your teeth claiming they are and were your bikes since you were a tiny lad.

Yamahauler
08-08-2005, 01:17 PM
I actually think that would work. All you have to do to get them registered is show the bill of sale and then they run the vin #. But one of them had a title in north america, so it might have showed up when they ran the vin.

But, since I've already got them across the border, I don't think I'll try that. :lol:

brapp
08-08-2005, 05:08 PM
just take the rear wheels off !!
then thier 2 pieses of scrap and say your going to convert them to 4 wheelers when you get them home or something like that.

Yamahauler
08-08-2005, 07:10 PM
Why do people keep telling me how I can get these trikes across? THERE ALREADY HERE!!!!! hahaaha

shanepaul
08-02-2007, 08:39 PM
if i was you id get on it and rip past :P

Yamahauler
08-02-2007, 11:13 PM
if i was you id get on it and rip past :P

OK, good idea. I will haul them back over the border into the US and then sneak them across. Thanks! Very good idea!!:w00t:

Tri-ZNate
08-03-2007, 01:01 AM
lol almost 2 years and people are still giving ideas on how to cross :lol:. Good luck on crossing over, and if all else fails UPS them acrossed :lol:

Mike_Ham_250R
08-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Why the hell would you bump a 2 year old topic? It is against the rules for one, and it is also just stupid.

Billy Golightly
08-03-2007, 01:04 PM
Why the hell would you bump a 2 year old topic? It is against the rules for one, and it is also just stupid.

O RLY? :welcome:

Mike_Ham_250R
08-03-2007, 04:12 PM
http://www.orlyowl.com/yarly.jpg

LonesomeTriZ
08-03-2007, 06:04 PM
I did not know it was against the rules. I have done it just for the cool factor. I think it is pretty cool to see what evry one was talking about back then.

Billy Golightly
08-03-2007, 06:53 PM
I don't think its against the rules...to my knowledge atleast? :wondering:

Yamahauler
08-04-2007, 01:01 AM
Maybe I should just fax them over

Mike_Ham_250R
08-04-2007, 01:04 AM
Oh I am thinking of other forums then. Oh well.