PDA

View Full Version : Nitrous on my Neon...

Derrick Adams
04-12-2005, 10:04 PM
I'm finally getting around to installing the nitrous on the Neon this week. Since my Mustang project is at a financial stand still, I'm going to run the Neon in the Sport Compact class this year at the local drag strip.

I managed to run 15.70's last year on the motor, with the stock 185/70/13's. This season i'm adding the street slicks and a 50 shot of juice. Shooting for mid 14's. Might up to a 75 shot if everything goes well and try for 13's.

Don't know how many of you guys drag race, but mid 15's is pretty respectable for a 4 banger. I've beaten several of the slower V8 cars. It's pretty fun. :D

MTS
04-12-2005, 11:16 PM
do you have one of them first style neons that only takes me 30 seconds to break into to go joy ridin in? or the later model...lol

AZ250R
04-13-2005, 02:41 PM
Not too shabby there Derrick! I've got a 97 N/A Eclipse that I've bolted on almost all I can, no internal motor mods though. I'll bet you don't have the PS or AC on that ride anymore do ya. I'm gonna give up on making a 420A fast though & buy a GSX. I know thats a quick car from the get-go! :cool:

1984kxtTECATE
04-13-2005, 02:48 PM
Not bad for a 4 banger, but I will stick with my V8, I am shooting to run low 11's.

400ccHomemade
04-13-2005, 03:28 PM
Here's my 4 banger. High 12's in quarter.

cliff2302
04-13-2005, 04:32 PM
What mods do you have on that neon? Thats a real good time for street tires and a 4 banger. Is it auto or manual?I dont really like sport compacts, but at least yours is american.

Nice bug homemade, whats done to it? I like the looks of bugs when they're lowered like that

Derrick Adams
04-13-2005, 05:05 PM
My car is a SOHC base model. It weighs 2000lb with me in it. It has absolutely no options. No P/S, no A/C, it didn't even come with sway bars. Its the lightest Neon you could get.

As far as mods, I don't have many. I have an underdrive pulley, ported and polished stock throttle body, Cold air intake, and a full length header with 2 1/2" exhaust.

That's it. It should be good for 15.50's on the slicks. (Spins real bad with the street tires) I did a little more research on it last night, and it turns out I can spray 75hp with no problems, just need to go to a colder plug and close the gap a little.

As soon as this engine gives up, I'm putting a 2.4L in it. Should be good for high 12's on the juice and low 14's on the motor. :naughty:

SpeedBump
04-13-2005, 07:12 PM
Too bad your Tri-Z wasn't any faster. ;) I know, that isn't funny. :eek:

I got in touch with my buddy, he got the carbs ordered. Oh ya, BTW, I don't want YOU to be able to run away from me, so I ordered me up a new 39 too. :w00t:

I got a 65 Beetle sitting here, it would be real fun building a drag car outta it, but gonna make a daily driver instead. It will have a couple go fast items, but not gonna get too crazy with it. My father has a bigbore in his Kharman Ghia..1780cc I believe. It scoots. The guy that built that engine, has a 2500cc stroker...claims it pushes about 225-250 Hp. Gave that a thought, but he said it is too agressive for the street...hard to keep her cool, and gotta chop up the rearend (body) a bit to fit it in.

Derrick, what put the brakes(financial standstill??) on the 'Stang?

Derrick Adams
04-13-2005, 07:50 PM
Actually, with all the trike projects going on this year, and the baby coming, I decided just to take the year off from the stang. Besides, I'm to the point where I have to drop 6 Large bills on an engine. (I can buy a lot of trikes for that!)

I'm still trying to get the trail Z together before TF and I want to build my 500R.

No amount of porting will help you against that bike! :naughty:

400ccHomemade
04-13-2005, 08:36 PM
My bug is in pieces now, I'm building a new motor/trans, etc. When I ran the high 12's I had a 2110cc motor with Weber 48's, an Engle 130 cam, 9 1/2 compression, street eliminator heads with 44 by 38 valves, 1 5/8" merged exhaust, H beam rods, electronic ignition, wicked tight gears, 12" wide cheater slicks, one seat, gutted interior, etc, etc. Right now i'm in the process of building a 2332 with more compression, bigger exhaust, and I shaved a lot of weight off the car. Should be around 1600 lbs when I'm done, and 240 hp. I'm really looking forward to what it will do with the new combo. I just like saying I ran 12's with a 4 cylinder, 30 year old technology, no nitrous, no turbo, no blower car. I'll post some more pictures later if you guys want.

RideRed250R
04-13-2005, 09:00 PM
i have a 68 baja bug was a hard top but converted it and rolled the edges then installed a class 11 cage and took all the metal off i could and replaced with fiberglass, i have a close ration 3 &4 for sand dunes and just all out accelartion i turn about 105 at 4600 RPMS (est.) thats with a 2110 82X90.5 with 40X35.5 intake and exhaust valve heads ported by CB performance, 10:1 compression with total seal rings, i run a 110 cam with 1.25 rockers, i havent done the quarter because i havent had it done long enough and iam still redoing stuff. iam runnin a warior front with 2 1/4 wider trailing arms, with billstein 7100's. when its alld one and i get it to the dunes thanksgiving ill take pics right now its a total sleeper beater (cause it doesnt look like it should be running LOL)
adam

Dammit!
04-13-2005, 09:22 PM
Not too shabby there Derrick! I've got a 97 N/A Eclipse that I've bolted on almost all I can, no internal motor mods though. I'll bet you don't have the PS or AC on that ride anymore do ya. I'm gonna give up on making a 420A fast though & buy a GSX. I know thats a quick car from the get-go! :cool:

I'm probably having a brain fart but what is N/A?

I had a dark gray '97 GST until a couple years ago. Fun little cars. I miss it.

wheelie king
04-13-2005, 09:36 PM
NA = Normally Aspirated (non turbo or Nos)
My old 93 stang had a 100 shot NOS fogger kit, among other things, and the bottle made all the difference. Best mod I made in the long run.

OldSchoolin86
04-13-2005, 10:23 PM
NA = Normally Aspirated (non turbo or Nos)

http://www.3wheeler.org/vb/images/smilies/doh.gif
N/A = naturaly aspirated

Derrick Adams
04-14-2005, 10:51 PM
Got the system installed today. Now I just need to wire it all up!

SpeedBump
04-17-2005, 03:51 AM
.....and I want to build my 500R.

No amount of porting will help you against that bike! :naughty:Funny you mention Porting....I just spent about 5 hours or so workin on my spare T4 cylinder. Another 8 hrs or so, and it should be ready for a fresh bore and piston. The last one I did picked up a good bit. This one is getting done a bit more aggressively. :w00t:

Oh, BTW, the T4 will run fine, but not enough to keep up with your BIG BOY, so I got a back-up plan.............If I can get my Tigers ;) Still waitin on my man to dig the stuff out. Even if I can't get to pickin them up, I would like to at least get in there for a few pics....to keep me dreamin ya know.

AZ250R
04-19-2005, 04:37 PM
That's it. It should be good for 15.50's on the slicks. (Spins real bad with the street tires)
How bout solid motor mounts for that "wheel hop"!?!?! I got some that I've yet to install, but will in a few weeks. Get'n the intake mani & throttle body ported right now, hope I notice a tad bit of gains from that.

You got a like 1st gen Neon then right? Cause the 2nds, like my eclipse, have DOHCs.

Dammit, you didn't know about N/A cause you didn't have one... you had a turbo that can easily be moded into a low 13 sec car, & I WANT ONE!!! :mad:

Derrick Adams
04-19-2005, 05:31 PM
I made an adjustable rear engine strut for mine. Works real well, no wheel hop at all.

2nd gen Neons had SOHCs in them, as a matter of fact, the big upgrade in my car is a Magnum head from an R/T. Which is also a SOHC.

Here's my polished and knife edged throttle body I did for it awhile back.

AZ250R
04-19-2005, 07:46 PM
I made an adjustable rear engine strut for mine. Works real well, no wheel hop at all. So is there much more noticable vibration @ idle & just crusing around?

2nd gen Neons had SOHCs in them, as a matter of fact, the big upgrade in my car is a Magnum head from an R/T. Which is also a SOHC.I thought our cars shared the same 420a engine. So is it the same block, different head then?

Derrick Adams
04-19-2005, 10:44 PM
So is there much more noticable vibration @ idle & just crusing around?

I thought our cars shared the same 420a engine. So is it the same block, different head then?

Well, I made it solid first, but it was a little harsh so I added some poly inserts from a sway bar end link. Works great now!

Same block in both cars.

Honda300ex
04-21-2005, 11:40 PM
Some reason i dont see a stock Neon runing in the 15s. At the high school drags most of the 4 bangers where happy to break the 17sec mark. But i guess it is possiblie since you have some stuff done to it. Ive got a 88 Mustang Gt, that i run at KCIR in Kansas City, i have a big traction problem when i first got it and only ran a 14.3@106mph, But this year ive got some new BFGs on the back, alittle taller and alot wider seems to hook up alot better then my old tires. I know the car has the Potential to be a mid 13 second car, but im still not that great at launch yet. I either bog or roast them just need to find the right Rpm. Im probly going to put a 50 shot or so on my car this summer. But most likely ill finish up the body work on it. THen start saving up to put a Super Charger on it. James.

brapp
04-22-2005, 01:44 AM
i had a 454 sport silverado lol
that wa sa 92 awesome lil truck, but i'm in proces sof being converted to diesiel, nothignliek seein a bad ass diesiel smokin a viper!

toyota200x
04-28-2005, 09:05 PM
I wish I had a tuner car. I love maxed out civic Si's.

AZ250R
04-29-2005, 02:45 PM
Per request here's some pics of my N/A Eclipse:

toyota200x
04-30-2005, 06:06 PM
Thanks AZ250r. I love those cars. I like that model better than the newer ones. How long have you had it? How old are you? Did all those mods increase gas mileage? Very cool. My dream car.

AZ250R
05-02-2005, 08:55 PM
Thanks AZ250r. I love those cars. I like that model better than the newer ones. How long have you had it? How old are you? Did all those mods increase gas mileage? Very cool. My dream car.
I'm 37 & got the car in 98. Its a 97 and had 10Kmi on it when I got it. All my mods have increased the mpg from 28 to 33, so their worth it even though the cars still slow.. it don't look like it! :mad:
I'm going to put on a ported intake manifold & throttle body this week, should give it a few more mpgs even. ;)

toyota200x
05-03-2005, 11:33 AM
If all things increase gas mileage why doesn't the car come stock with them. How many more mpg does a cold air intake get you? What is the disadvantage of a cold air intake? Thanks for the help.

Derrick Adams
05-03-2005, 12:01 PM
Just an update. My nitrous sylinoid is malfunctioning, so I couldn't spray it yet. But I did manage a 15.58 at 89mph last week, off the motor.

AZ250R
05-03-2005, 05:29 PM
Just an update. My nitrous sylinoid is malfunctioning, so I couldn't spray it yet. But I did manage a 15.58 at 89mph last week, off the motor.
Bummer about the NOS NOT work'n yet :p nice run anyway, keep it up... I may try to catch ya one day! :beer

If all things increase gas mileage why doesn't the car come stock with them. How many more mpg does a cold air intake get you? What is the disadvantage of a cold air intake? Thanks for the help.
Good question, one would think the engineers aren't doing their job! ;)
However, with a CAI (cold air intake) there are risks... HYDROLOCK, is the bigest. With the car suck'n in air, in my case only 4 inches off the ground, you risk sucking watter from puddles into the motor rather easily. If I lived anywhere but in the southwest, I wouldn't have a CAI. I installed the CAI and axle back muffler @ the same time and gained around 3 mpg, and probably 3hp that ya just can't feel. :D :rolleyes:

toyota200x
05-03-2005, 09:03 PM
Isn't there shorter CAI out there that a person could buy? Thanks for the info.

Derrick Adams
05-03-2005, 09:44 PM
We installed the AEM CAI on a 3rd gen eclipse and it cam with a removable down tube.

toyota200x
05-09-2005, 09:20 PM
I am looking for a CAI for my 1995 camry. Are all brands the same? If not what are some good ones. Thanks

cliff2302
05-09-2005, 10:15 PM
anything you buy is basically going to be a tube with a K&N or imitation on it. If you want to save yourself some money and don't care about the looks, buy a 3 ft piece of flex pipe and put a K&N type filter on the end.

AZ250R
05-10-2005, 06:56 PM
I am looking for a CAI for my 1995 camry. Are all brands the same? If not what are some good ones. Thanks
You can make one out of PVC to fit any needs too, but I wanted one that was one tube with needed brackets... thus AEM.
AEM CAIs all go for around $200, theres got to be one for your ride too.
AEM short ram, 1/2 the length tube & filter in engine bay (& "hydrolock safe"!!!), go for $100 roughly.
These ebay ones look cool, & I bought 2 of them before my AEM, but they don't have good brackets to hold them in place.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7973377995&category=38634
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7973142245&category=38634
I'd go with one but make sure its bracketed down good somehow, plus the filters dont stay on well because of the lack of a bead on the end of the tube. You could just bend some notches in it to remidy that though.
Like the above thread, its just a tube with a much more free flowing filter than stock i.e. K&N. So anything you put on, that stay's on, will get you a few more MPGs & a couple of pony's to boot regardless of the brand name! :beer