PDA

View Full Version : More ATV Bans Possible!!!

Mr. Sandman
04-14-2005, 05:48 PM
ATV riders beware, the bans on ATV'ing may not have ended with our beloved three wheelers. If the CPSC and anti-ATV groups in the attached article have their way, our sport will be hit again. You may think this won't affect you because you're over 16. Well think again, because one day you might have kids that you want to introduce to riding and won't be able to due to age restrictions. If they get this to pass, it might just be the foot in the door they need to go even further. Join or contribute to the ATVA or AMA or any other group that fights for our right to ride to help stop this BS.

http://www.off-road.com/atv/press/2005_04/cpsc.html

3 weelin geezer
04-15-2005, 04:29 AM
Here it depends what kind of atv you are trying to buy. If you get a 250 for a 10 yr old they will probably deny the sale. Saw that happen at one place then the guy sez: no, wait. I meant it was for me but I would let my kid use it. Too late. Shoulda just kept his mouth shut I think. Its not like walmart where they actually ask you what you will be using .22 ammo for rifle or pistol. I just tell them rifle but what does it matter? I AM over 21 anyways. Who cares?

BIGCRIP28
04-15-2005, 08:52 AM
Its not like walmart where they actually ask you what you will be using .22 ammo for rifle or pistol. I just tell them rifle but what does it matter? I AM over 21 anyways. Who cares?

i always tell them its for a rifle even though its for my pistol.
they actually think someone under 21 (like me) will say pistol? lmao

Merriman
04-15-2005, 12:20 PM
yeah and read these bans too:

http://www.atvaonline.com/News/05/atv_ban0415.asp

and

http://www.atvaonline.com/News/05/CPSC.asp

Mr. Sandman
04-15-2005, 01:24 PM
20 years ago, all the talk was about banning 3 wheelers and I never thought it would happen. As you all now know, it did, so for everyone that blows off these proposed bans as someone's pipe dream, please realize, some of us have been there before and it could very well happen again only this time it may be your ATV or riding area!

ScottZJ
04-15-2005, 01:25 PM
i always tell them its for a rifle even though its for my pistol.
they actually think someone under 21 (like me) will say pistol? lmao

If they would ever ask me, I would show them the gun its for, cuz its most likely on my side hahaha.

crackshot
04-15-2005, 01:53 PM
good. ban 4 wheelers. not fair they picked on 3 wheelers and 4 wheelers got to dominate the market.

Lots_Of_Nothing
04-15-2005, 03:47 PM
Good, I hear them things are dangerous.

YAMAHA_Jim
04-15-2005, 09:32 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if ATV's and most other off road vehicles were banned 10 or 20 yrs in the future.They burn alot of gas,and they annoy the people that are trying to save the planet.
I say Pave the Planet and lets all get really fast go karts.

threewheelin-feelin
04-15-2005, 09:49 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if ATV's and most other off road vehicles were banned 10 or 20 yrs in the future.They burn alot of gas,and they annoy the people that are trying to save the planet.
I say Pave the Planet and lets all get really fast go karts.
HAHAHAHAHA

3 weelin geezer
04-16-2005, 09:41 AM
Yeah, jim. Get a go cart. Now, can I buy that trike in your avatar along with 'accessories'? I.e. that cute chick sitting on it.

threewheelin-feelin
04-16-2005, 01:32 PM
so was the ATVA around back in the 80's... and were fighting to save 3wheelers?? or did they just start recently?

YAMAHA_Jim
04-16-2005, 06:18 PM
3 wheelin geezer,You wouldnt want that tri-z.It has a half inch of dust on it. :D

The ATVA wasnt around in the 80's.Back then, I think trike/quad racers had to be AMA members to race.

TimSr
04-16-2005, 07:39 PM
The ATVA is an offshoot from the AMA that came about later. The AMA was "fighting for our rights" back then, and they folded like a wet piece of toilet paper.

YAMAHA_Jim
04-17-2005, 10:48 AM
Tim sr, lol,thats a great way to put it. I was an AMA member back then.I was racing bikes and didnt give two hoots about 3 or 4 wheelers.I didnt get into ATV's until 1998.

TimSr
04-17-2005, 08:44 PM
Tim sr, lol,thats a great way to put it. I was an AMA member back then.I was racing bikes and didnt give two hoots about 3 or 4 wheelers.I didnt get into ATV's until 1998.

I was in the same boat back then, but after years of fighting the gunowner's rights fight, I was well familiar with the tactic known as incrimentalism, and had tagged these people as treehuggers against offroad riding, who were going for what was politically viewed as the most evil of offroad machines first, with new restrictions to be incrimentally added as it became politically feasible. It amazing how much guns and offroading have in common. Trikes were the "assault weapons", dangerous with no useful purpose. What do people NEED those for? Then we go after riding areas because of crimes committed by a few irresponsible punks trespassing and doing damage. Then you start looking at similar vehicles such as quads. And of course, you look for incidents involving children. Then you look at environmental issues, and attack all offroading, and close riding areas. After a few punks engage in police chases on roadways, we throw in registration and insurance requirements for no realistic reasons to the lawful, and add a few additional taxes. And while we are at it, why not add some tests? Then we can revisit the environmental thing, and get rid of two strokes. Oh, wait! Some obnoxious punks are riding around trying to annoy people with an unbaffled exhaust, we better regulate those, and have inspections....... Next thing you know, you have to take several tests and take long, expensive government sponsored training courses, pay lots of taxes, registration and insurance fees, be of an adult age (or ride a mini), pass a criminal background check, have your machine inspected, and pay for that, overpay (to cover liability) to ride in small overcrowded riding areas 90 miles away with your emissions tested 4 stroke quad and you are ready to ride! Yes, I get as upset evertime some punk brags about his drunken police chase with his baffle removed, as I do with the punk that uses his gun to hold up a liquor store. The end result is the same, and the sport becomes regulated to the point of only being affordable for the very wealthy all because the police and the newspapers got ahold of some punk before I did.

Be vigilante and guard your rights. Police your own ranks. Dont wait for some impotent group like the AMA to do it for you. Most important, the dumbest thing you can do is say, "go ahead and ban quads", and "go ahead and ban bikes because that doesnt affect me". Any attack on bikes, or quads, or trikes, is an attack on whatever it is you happen to ride offroad with. Trikes have been bagged, and now the sights are on bikes and ATV's, moreso ATV's. (Quads + Trikes = ATVs) so yes, it IS our fight.

Red Rider
04-17-2005, 10:04 PM
Well said Tim.