PDA

View Full Version : is that "Super Tech" Oil any good?

BIGCRIP28
04-16-2005, 09:27 PM
i guess its kind of like wal mart brand, and it is alot cheaper than other brands.
i am wondering if it is the same oil just in a sort of generic bottle? :wondering

4cylinders
04-16-2005, 09:55 PM
hey, it's like way cheap, wouldn't run it in an atv.

trikerider2oo7
04-16-2005, 10:16 PM
i wouldnt run it in anything

smokinwrench
04-16-2005, 11:01 PM
i wouldnt run it in anything

Do you have any good reasoning why you feel this way? It has an API certification on the back of the bottle so it passes all the tests the name brand oils do. I run it in my 2003 Durango and my old 1997 indtrepid never had any problems with either one.

I wouldn't run it in a quad or trike though. Quads and trikes have engine and trans as common compartments, so the oil needs to have the good properties of trans oil and also the good properites of engine oil. Why run cheap oil in your atv or atc? At the most you should only have to change it 3 times per year. How much money will you really save by running the cheap stuff. My local dealer charges $3.50 per qt of oil and $6.?? for a filter. Not much of a savings when it's only gonna cost me about $40.00 per year to keep nice new oil in my machine. :beer

MTS
04-16-2005, 11:25 PM
i know the walmart brand i tried once....i ran it in my trike, it didnt like it at all....i wouldnt run the cheap stuff in my lawnmower

RideRed250R
04-17-2005, 01:31 AM
run cheap and * will blow something thats my opion, i run the sythetic stuff in my 4 strokes and change my oil about 2 times a year.. never had a problem, Castrol High Performance Sythetic about 5 bucks a quart.
adam

BIGCRIP28
04-17-2005, 06:12 PM
i tear that stuff up in my S10 and 110
i guess ill stick with castrol on my 350x.

Macs
04-17-2005, 07:41 PM
that stuuf is the same as all the other national brands. when we have a huge surplus of oil we will sale the oil in large quanties to these smaller distributers, they then put it in there on bottle. the only thing that you might have to worry about is which brand you are using ( quaker state and exxon/mobil distribute to super tech. and there might be others) super tech does not make there on oil and the oil they buy is the exact same grade st the manufacture sales.

crackshot
04-18-2005, 02:34 PM
And super tech oil does not have the "energy saving" starburst on it.
I run it in all my trikes. Works fine and if you think that changing from super tech to castrol and getting better results, you might want to get your head checked.
All the oil that come in new ATV's is bulk oil just like the super tech.
You guys using synthetic in wet clutches are going to find out what happens.

Mr. Sandman
04-18-2005, 03:20 PM
You guys using synthetic in wet clutches are going to find out what happens.
I've been using synthetics in my "wet clutch" trans for years with no problems whatsoever. How much longer will it take for me to find out what happens??? :wondering

crackshot
04-19-2005, 10:48 AM
I've been using synthetics in my "wet clutch" trans for years with no problems whatsoever. How much longer will it take for me to find out what happens??? :wondering

Clutch slippage, leaks

TrikerR
04-19-2005, 11:04 AM
i use polaris premium PS-4, designed for polaris predator.

trikerider2oo7
04-19-2005, 04:12 PM
i run quaker state peak perfomance 10w-40 in the x and napa 30w in the big red

PowerTrike
04-19-2005, 11:23 PM
I've been wondering about that "Super Tech" stuff also. I really don't see how there could be anything wrong with it but I still use Valvoline in my vehicles. Last night I bought some Wal-Mart "Super Tech" 80W90 gear lube last night and don't forsee any problems. Also picked up a big can of their decreaser for $.92, works great... :)

TRI Z Racer
04-20-2005, 01:51 AM
i bet that super tech stuff has bettrer lubricity then the oils that were available in the early 1980's. Think of it that way, its better then the ru of the mill oil from back in the day. But personally i run an oil that is meant for atvs due to the clutch/transmission sharing the same oil. Just another way to think about it