PDA

View Full Version : does anyone on the board like snowmobiles...this one??

TRI Z Racer
01-29-2003, 01:26 AM
these are pics from my teams snowmobile. we have been working on it all semester and are going to start it for the first time. i will post more pics of the engine when its out of the sled. It is basically a 2001 Suzuki gsxr 600 engine putting out 105 hp stock. we have an advanced engine moitoring/mapping/controller on it and were able to get about 140 hp. we had to do excesive machining to get the motor to work in a snowmobile. we cut the bottom third of the motor off, including all gears. this allows our clutch to be mounted on the jackshaft and the jackshaft to be driven directly of the crank gear. we have had the idea for 2 years now, and until now we have just been doing the machingina nd aquiring parts. i know it sounds like the RX-1. but its completely different. there are so many other things done to the sled to make the motor work, i will try and get as many pics as possible if you guys are interested. let me know

TRI Z Racer
01-29-2003, 01:29 AM
here are a few more from tonight

TRI Z Racer
01-29-2003, 01:32 AM
the sled you see in the background with the big scoop on it is last years sled we made for competition. we compete in an SAE collegiate comp. that sled is a beast. it gets its power from its 2000 honda 929RR motor, its 150hp stock, we think we have it about 170hp. it flies. easily eats worked thundercats for lunch, and the track isnt even studded. if its on hardpack snow... it will usually always win. anyone wanna race?

ATCkrazy
01-29-2003, 10:14 AM
Yeah Im into sleds, older ones, new ones suck, parts cost and arm and a leg and I like haveing to hang off one side to make it turn, right now I've got a 83 Moto-ski mirage special 377 Rotax, a 1970 Scorpion mark 2 Hirth 220R 493cc, a cupel of old motoski zephyr's(340 and 440) and im really regreting selling my 1979 john deer trailfire 440(man that sucker could haul!)

Dynofox
01-29-2003, 11:44 AM
I've been into snowmobiles all my life. Nice work on the new project, to bad its a cat LOL. Have you ridden it yet? It seems like the motor is kind of far forward which will make the sled nose heavy and not handle well. When is this year’s competition? To see some pics of my sled click the link below my name.

hrc200x
01-29-2003, 01:29 PM
The bike motors are manual clutch right? How do you get that to work with a normal sled clutch and belt?

200xer
01-29-2003, 07:44 PM
you kinda answered your own question, with the sled clutch. At idle, there isn't enough tension on the belt to make it move. Once the motor revs up it squeezes the belt until it's engaged. The more it squeezes it the faster it goes. It has a max ratio and is infinitely variable throughout.

I don't remember what our school was using for a motor in the sled. I know it had no detectable emissions and ran at about 55 db. Wasn't very fast though.

hrc200x
01-29-2003, 11:51 PM
I know how a snowmobile clutch and a motocycle clutch work, but I don't know you'd make them work together???

Kilborg
01-30-2003, 09:54 PM
Hrc, read carefully my freind...The tranny is lopped entirely off. All tha remains of the original engine is the engine itself without the tranny. This allowed him to use a conventional sled type setup with a centrifugal clutch mounted directly onto the crank.

hrc200x
01-30-2003, 11:44 PM
ahh, thanks, that is what I missed.

TRI Z Racer
01-31-2003, 03:26 AM
here are some more of just the motor,

TRI Z Racer
01-31-2003, 03:30 AM
exactly like you said blaze, we lopped off the gears and ran a direct drive off the crank, tonight was the first night we had turned the motor over. we still havent programmed the TEC3 engine contoller, but we plan on doing it tommo after classes. the comp isnt till march 17, so we have sufficient testing time. and as for the engine too far forward, its actually further back then stock, it actually is tilted backwards where stock is almost horizontal. actually driving it will be the test

85200xer
01-31-2003, 05:29 AM
I hope you got sticky handgrips and seat like ski-doos do!!! that thing will rip trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro. ya I've been into sleds my whole life.