PDA

View Full Version : GM going bankrupt

Ivant
04-20-2005, 02:52 AM
Whats the story with GM, I have read that the credit rating has been put to junk status.

I think they are still the largest manufacturer but seem to be digging a bigger hole for themselves.
Are the cars any good? supposedly 33% are bought by employees of the company and the maraket is flooded.

The article I read said the recent board changes are only like re-arranging the deck chairs on the titanic!

Can't imagine the problems it will cause if they go under.

1984kxtTECATE
04-20-2005, 02:57 AM
IMO there new cars look like ****, look at the new monte carlo........Supercharged V6 that wasnt what the real monte carlo was, Chevy is trying to hard to make cars to compete with honda, the SSR is ugly as hell along with the colbalt and the rest of there line-up except the Vette, the Duromax diesel engine is made by Iszuzu, they dont have a straight axle front end anymore not even as a option. Ford and Dodge are taking over the fullsize truck market. I wonder how true your original statement is and if it is how is it going to effect the rest of the domestic car market...... they say Chevy is the heartbeat of america.......looks like its about ready to have Cardiac arrest

Pistonhead
04-20-2005, 10:00 AM
They went downhill as soon as they dropped the camaro (the best ever all around car in my mind). Seriously if GM was thinking they'd have a new 2005 LS6 Camaro.

MTS
04-20-2005, 10:16 AM
yep GM is digging themselves a bigger and bigger grave, which piss's me off now theres even talk of them droping the pontiac line like WTF....it sucks they droped the camaro-but they have been going down hill for a while befor that,

hrc85250r
04-20-2005, 10:35 AM
i like the supercharged v-6's and those cars (grand prix and monte carlo) are gm's biggest selling cars right now...i think pontiac might be their highest selling brand right now, there are so many driving around....and thoses/c v-6's arent slow, they put out almost 300hp now, my friend has a 96 ssei and he had it up to 135mph before it hit the rev limiter.....

petesatc
04-20-2005, 10:40 AM
Ford's profits down as well..... 38%. on this time last year......there over capacity in car markets at the moment... china is the only big growing market....i can see more comany's going down in the next year or so... just look at Rover(uk) ......Fiat is looking like it's going over a cliff and my old employers Jaguar is losing 1200 jobs in the summer.......big change to come!!!!!!

1984kxtTECATE
04-20-2005, 01:06 PM
i like the supercharged v-6's and those cars (grand prix and monte carlo) are gm's biggest selling cars right now...i think pontiac might be their highest selling brand right now, there are so many driving around....and thoses/c v-6's arent slow, they put out almost 300hp now, my friend has a 96 ssei and he had it up to 135mph before it hit the rev limiter.....

No doubt that they arnt slow, just compare them to the old styling and I dont see a match, I will give the new monte carlo credit for being unique though.

wanta86r
04-20-2005, 02:09 PM
No doubt that they arnt slow, just compare them to the old styling and I dont see a match, I will give the new monte carlo credit for being unique though.
If everyone hasnt noticed its 2005. It would be ridiculous to make todays cars like the ones from the past. Dont you think there have been big advances made since the 70/80's. I am a muscle car fan all the way, but cars are never going to be how they once were. i would be insulted if gm's designers brought out some old designs. Would you pay 25,000 to 30,000 for a boxy, gas guzzling, carburated unreliable motor? I think not. And as far as Gm going broke- thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard. all car company sales are down now because with the financing they had been offering you'd be a fool not to buy new over used. Think about it, 18,000 for slightly used with between 8 and 9 % interest, or 20 couple grand at 0%interest for something that is brand new with a factory warranty- duh- by the way GM RULES!

1984kxtTECATE
04-20-2005, 02:35 PM
If everyone hasnt noticed its 2005. It would be ridiculous to make todays cars like the ones from the past. Dont you think there have been big advances made since the 70/80's. I am a muscle car fan all the way, but cars are never going to be how they once were. i would be insulted if gm's designers brought out some old designs. Would you pay 25,000 to 30,000 for a boxy, gas guzzling, carburated unreliable motor? I think not. And as far as Gm going broke- thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard. all car company sales are down now because with the financing they had been offering you'd be a fool not to buy new over used. Think about it, 18,000 for slightly used with between 8 and 9 % interest, or 20 couple grand at 0%interest for something that is brand new with a factory warranty- duh- by the way GM RULES!

Then I guess it is ridiclious making the new mustang and T-bird and the SSR and P.T. Crusier, the trend is going more retro. And it is a stero type to call all the old V8's unreiable, good luck breaking the intrenationals truck motor or even the old ford 289's and 302's. I reliaze there are advances in technologie these days, I look in the jegs catalog, I could completely update an old V8 through stuff they sell, further more look at the older mitsubishie cars, they have been known to be unreable granite it dosnt mean all of them but a lot go to the shop. The newer chevy V8's have a cheap plastic intake gasket that springs a leak around 50-60,000 miles becuase it is cheaper to produce. I think chevys cars for the most part look horrible, with a few exceptions. I am not going to go into detail about every model I dont like. Gas milage has to do with gearing and power, example 1996 Ford 460ci engine, 10-13 mpg loaded or unloaded it had 4.10 rear gears, my Dads friends 1971 Dodge Charger S/E 440 750cfm carb gets 25 mpg with the final gear ratio of 3.23's. Carberated engines for the most part stopped being produce due to emmisions and what not, there are very reliale older motors out there. Just becuase it is new does not mean it is better.

trikerider2oo7
04-20-2005, 04:12 PM
i dont really like their newer vehicles with the gay front ends but...the older ones are awesome. like '02 and down with the exception of the corvette and the newbody syle camaros. every single vehicle owned here at my house are gm's except my sisters piece of crap stratus. i love gm's...i hope they get their problem fixed

1984kxtTECATE
04-20-2005, 04:19 PM
i dont really like their newer vehicles with the gay front ends but...the older ones are awesome. like '02 and down with the exception of the corvette and the newbody syle camaros. every single vehicle owned here at my house are gm's except my sisters piece of crap stratus. i love gm's...i hope they get their problem fixed

Same GM is not my favorite company but I would like to see them get out of this finacial trouble, after all since I was born in America I plan on supporting american vechiles.

diggerzmound
04-20-2005, 04:47 PM
after all since I was born in America I plan on supporting american vechiles.

I'm with you man...
:beer

OldSchoolin86
04-20-2005, 08:20 PM
after all since I was born in America I plan on supporting american vechiles.Your patriotic spirt is awsome but all these companies are globlaly traded now, there is no "American" auto builder. Athough GM(and Ford) are close to being American companies, the only thing really worth concidering now is if they keep American workers busy.

Dynofox
04-20-2005, 08:49 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if they were, most of their cars are junk. My dad was a die hard chevy guy, buys a new truck every 2-3years. This past year he bought a Nissan titan and couldn't be happier, wouldn't think of going back to a Silverado. I can understand wanting to buy American, but I'm not going to drive around in an inferior vehicle that is worth nothing on trade (this can be said about pretty much all American cars). I bought my first foreign vehicle this year, Nissan Xterra SE and love it.

NOS_350X
04-20-2005, 08:54 PM
Well dont think that GM is in any more trouble than Ford or Dodge (Crysler-dimes/mersadies (sp?)) If anything is going down, its Dodge, They made a last ditch effort by remaking the Hemi But i havent herd if its helped there sales any. In my oppinion theres no diffrence in new viechles, its all about preference. If you drive the piss out of them all of them are eventualy going to brake.

Banage
04-20-2005, 09:21 PM
I just think in the end they are one company they hide all american cars i mean

honda200boyatc
04-20-2005, 11:54 PM
i think its just a big scare so GM can sell more car and truck. because people will see that and say o crap i better buy before there is no more to buy.

just another think for the new to talk about

markdb420
04-21-2005, 12:06 AM
I am a diehard Ford guy, and I want GM to remain strong for the workers and for the stockholders. I hate the POS Toyota Turdra that we had, that POS got traded in on a better quality F250 Crew Cab Powerstroke diesel. As far as the Titan, what an ugly truck for sure.

honda200boyatc
04-21-2005, 12:12 AM
ya i agree with that me to im a ford fan till i die

Pistonhead
04-21-2005, 09:45 AM
Same GM is not my favorite company but I would like to see them get out of this finacial trouble, after all since I was born in America I plan on supporting american vechiles.

I was born in Canada, but the vehicles I own are exclusively American. I feel good knowing I can go to the local hardware store to get a fanbelt or thermostat instead of having to jump through hoops like other people I know. :w00t:

MO350X
04-21-2005, 09:55 PM
I'm a diehard Chevy fan with a DEEP love of the Ford Mustang (1986 and later) as well.

BUT.....[/*]

GM had better get their head out of their rear ends and "go out on a limb" like Ford and Chrysler to make cars people CRAVE, not just "need".

A few examples:
1. Chrysler comes out with the PT Cruiser some years ago and it's a hit. Now it's sales have plummeted. What does GM do? They FINALLY bring a PT Cruiser wanna-be to the market.....WAY too late. A guaranteed flop.
2. GM nixes the Camaro and Firebird and what do they give us? The GTO....A collossal sales failure in it's first year. Why? Take a look at the price! What were they thinking? The GTO really is a fabulous car under the skin but it's about the most boring body style I've ever seen....bloated Cavalier anyone?
3. GM STILL doesn't have a pony car. Lo and behold Ford comes out with a car that I absolutely crave-the 2005 Mustang GT for $25,000 starting price! And they can't make enough of them....have you tried to find a GT lately? Few and far between.
Wait and see....GM will take at LEAST 2 more years to get their act together and produce the new Camaro/Firebird (it's coming, trust me) BUT.....I can guarantee you GM will grossly overprice it.....wanna put bets on $30,000+ starting price? I think I'd win that bet.

Meanwhile, Chrysler has produced the 300C sedan which makes me drool to no end. And they sell each and every one. Put "hemi" on it and it will sell.
GM sedans comparable to the 300? Let's see....Buick? Pontiac? Chevy? Nope.

I could go on for hours.

cliff2302
04-22-2005, 01:54 AM
the SSR can't be compared to a PT cruiser. PT cruiser- built on a neon chassis with a weak 4 cyl. SSR- full frame, all aluminum 327. The SSR is a specialty vehicle, and it was a big hit. They only made a limited number of them and they are all sold.

brapp
04-22-2005, 01:57 AM
i cant be happier with my 2000 silverado, i beat the ball out of it an dit holds up, just ask o3orange shee, he seen me almost rollth e b***h and it has been sunk tothe point wher ewater was comingin the doors and never skipped a beat. but i hat a toyota tacoma befor thet and it was nothgibut problems, i am actualy gonna buy a 99 3500 crewcab diesiel silverado the pre duramax , love the looks and has the power to go anywhere, but gonna banks the b888h and have more power on tap!

MO350X
04-22-2005, 02:44 PM
the SSR can't be compared to a PT cruiser. PT cruiser- built on a neon chassis with a weak 4 cyl. SSR- full frame, all aluminum 327. The SSR is a specialty vehicle, and it was a big hit. They only made a limited number of them and they are all sold.

I am not talking about the SSR.
I am talking about the little "mini retro Suburban-looking" thing that Chevy is coming out with.
It's a copy of the PT, just a wee bit larger.
With the Colorado 4 or 5 cyl., I believe.

The SSR was a sales flop in the first year.
GM had a phenomenal backlog of SSR's and GTO's sitting at dealers across the country.
Around here, they had HUGE discounts/rebate programs just to move them.
The GTO, for example, had $6000-8000 rebates just to clear them out.

WHY DID THIS HAPPEN?
Personally?
First off, they're WAY over priced.
Secondly, I think it's because of car-savvy buyers.
Most folks KNEW GM would put a sedate, simple version of the GTO and SSR out in the first year.
And they did!
What do we get for 2005?
1. An SSR with some BITE (the 6 liter LS2!!) and a 6 speed manual.
2. A GTO with NINETY more HP (the 6 liter LS2!!)and an improved look (DUAL exhaust and some plastic improvements).