PDA

View Full Version : Keihin 39mm to boot prob!!!!

venom
04-23-2005, 08:15 PM
Just picked up a PWK39mm for my 88 Trx250r and the air box side won't fit in the boot, its bigger than the carb that came off it. Looks to be around 1/4" bigger. Has anybody ran into this problem before? Does anybody make a kit to adapt it to fit? I had a 86 that had this carb on it and it fit on the boot, the prob is I wasn't the one who installed that one it was already done when I bought the bike. ANY IDEAS?????

x.system
04-23-2005, 08:24 PM
It will fit, I have one installed on my 87trx. Try warming it up in hot hot water and then install the carb. You will probably have to do this with it off the bike and let the two pieces sit together over night so it stretchs the boot. Mine is still a pain to install but it does go on with a little effort. I've also had it on my 88trx.

venom
04-23-2005, 08:27 PM
Thats what I had thought from the 86 I had. My buddy did the install and it wouldn't go so I wonder if the boot has shrunk some from 88 to present? Thanks for the info

ChrisD
04-23-2005, 08:32 PM
Do you drink beer? This is stupid, but I have used 39pwk's for years on different bikes and this always works. Heat up the end of the intake boot from the airbox (torch, gas range, etc) and push the bottom end of a beer bottle into the warm boot. I usually let it cool , then heat it up and cool it a couple more times with the beer bottle inside the boot. It will permanently stretch the boot.

Bill X_R
04-23-2005, 08:34 PM
Try heating it up by what ever means you seem fit, but use a beer bottle to streach it out some...work great!

venom
04-24-2005, 12:20 PM
Good deal my brother!! Never thought of that, a nice Heiny or Corona would work best, think I'll pass on trying a 40 on it,lmao!! Sounds good, thanks guys!!