PDA

View Full Version : What year is this YZ jug?

LonesomeTriZ
04-25-2005, 06:46 PM
I have this good looking YZ jug, but I am unsure of the year. I know it is much newer than the 85 that is interchangeable with the Tri-Z bottom end. But this thing bolts directly on. The casting even matches where the power valve linkage cover meets the clutch cover. I think it will work, but I would rather have some opinions from those of you that have done the conversation.

TRI Z Racer
04-25-2005, 09:33 PM
im not sure what year it is, i think they changed from the straight intake to the angled intake in 86, your head looks alot newr then mine does though. maybe you can get a pic from ebay.

LonesomeTriZ
04-25-2005, 09:39 PM
I tried that and I could not find one. I actually bought this one from Ebay. The seller had it posted as a Tri-Z jug.

TRIZTUNES
04-25-2005, 09:42 PM
HI!!

that is a 87 yz 250t (2hh)

you should find a yz bottom end it is alot easier then trying to convert the tri-z
to accept to power vavle linkage.or just buy the right side case it is cheaper than doing the machine work. does that yz jug have the o-rings for a head gasket.you are going to have to find a drive gear from the crank that drives the governor.you can use the yz piston or tri-z,yz is a flat top: tri-z is a dome.
they both have the same bore and stroke.

TRIZTUNES!!!!!!!!!!!

LonesomeTriZ
04-25-2005, 10:54 PM
Wow. I take it you have done this before.

diggerzmound
04-26-2005, 11:11 AM
The problem with that cylinder would be the head.... If you use an 85 or 86 YZ you can bolt your Tri-Z head right on, and not have any coolant hose issues.. The YZ head directs the coolant port on the front of the head frontwards where the Tri-Z points it out to the throttle side..

As for using the YZ side cover, not gonna happen, the cover does not have the right casting to accept the Tri-Z kick starter.. ANd the only thing in the case of the YZ you will need is the inner bearing for the powervalve actuator..

The best situation is if you can pick up an 85 or 86 YZ engine, then you can take all the parts you need and switch them over..

Fired my powervalve motor up Friday, runs like a peach, definately gonna need some main jet changes though..

LonesomeTriZ
04-26-2005, 11:40 AM
Okay, let me see if I get this. That jug is for an 87 and up. I can use it, but I should use a Tri-Z head. I know what mods I must make to a TRi-Z side cover to make it work, so I should be good to go then. Am I correct so far?