PDA

View Full Version : CR500 trike conversion project Begins.

Billy Golightly
05-02-2005, 07:26 PM
T-minus 1 month, 2 days still Trikefest05. And heres the story.

Earlier this year I traded my 84 ATC250R to atczack for his 1985 CR500. Both machines needed a fair amount of work. The first 2 picture reflect the CR500 in dirtbike form a few days after I brought it home. I did a few things to it, and rode it. The only problem I had was cranking it...the thing is a BEAR and a half to crank. I'm a big guy (Around 230) and it takes all I got to turn this thing through. I'm going to have to get some MX boots. I've rode it probably 3 different times in bike form and 2 out of the 3 it was pull started with my ass hanging over the rear wheel and working the clutch in 3rd gearing trying to keep the rear wheel from sliding.

If you've been on the homepage much recently, you've probably seen the Laegers CR500 conversion kit article from ATV Sports that BLAZERONE22 sent in. I scored this same kit on ebay for a mere $260 total with shipping. The seller has been a bit slow to send the parts but thursday I received the first shipment, and Saturday another. The first shipment was the front wheel, tire, hub, brake disc, front axle, and caliper (No pictures). This front wheel setup has a small adapter plate made out of a plate of aluminum to adapt the CR500 larger diameter brake disc onto the ATC250R front hub. The CR500 brake caliper is also used. Upon inspecting the front wheel bearings with the front axle still in it I noticed the front axle was actually bent, about a 1/4 inch in the middle. At this point I'm questioning the maintence, and use these parts had before I received them. The second package, was the much anticipated custom steel tripple clamps, Some front forks that turned out being junk (Pictures below), and a rear axle. The tripple clamps came without the stem and even had some damage from them apparently removing the original stem. The whole area where the stem presses in is bent to hell and even the round tubing in a few places from a hammer swing gone astray :rolleyes: The forks, well, theres not much to say about them except the one has a chunk broke out of the bottom leg and the other has some kind of gobbed up **** on it at the top thats suppose to be a cap.

The intitial tear down started Saturday when the whole frontend was dissasembled enabling me to have the original stem pressed out of the OEM tripple clamps so it can then be pressed into the new wider, steel ones. It was at this time I also discovered that there was a problem with these new steel tripple clamps. Both it, and the frame had the steering stops in the same position, the middle. This made a definete conflict on how they were to mount, but was not that big of a problem since I later just ground it off and prepared the surface for new ones to be welded on in the some position as the ones on the old aluminum clamps. After encountering this problem I was sweating bullets to see if the forks were even the same diameter as what needed to go in the new clamps, luckily they were.

Today I took the old bottom tripple clamp to town and had the stem pressed out by a friend since the hydraulic cylinder for our press was out being repacked. After I got back home I immediatly checked the fitmet on the stem and the new tripples and found that it was the right diamater, but also found that during the previous owners hammer swinging fury he had damaged the area where the stem presses in and causes it to be out of round and mushroomed on the inside. This should not cause a whole lot of problem with fitment but it does definetly make me wonder if these parts were on a trike/bike that was involved in a serious accident prior to their removal and sale. I waited today till around 3:00PM hoping the mailman would bring me a new package, but he didn't. Figuring I would get my next shipment (Hopefully the subframe, seat, and fenders, or the swingarm) tomorrow I started dissaembling the CR500 so when I received the conversion parts I could put them right on. I removed the seat, the gas tank, air scoops, the rear subframe, the rear fenders, the airbox, and I'm not even sure what all else (Picture below of the pile of stuff).

mymint87
05-02-2005, 07:28 PM
OOOOOH YA .......It's going to RIP!!!

03 ORANGE SHEE
05-02-2005, 07:28 PM
sure hope you got your will squared out! :p

Billy Golightly
05-02-2005, 07:29 PM
So heres what it looks like now, torn almost all the way down waiting on the rest of my conversion parts to come in hopefully tomorrow. I've gotta say it looks weird with no front end, no gas tank, and no subframe :p I've got a fairly large list of parts I'm gonna be trying to buy for this thing as soon as I know the rest of my parts are here. These parts include new clutch kit, kickstarter shaft seal, long chain for the extended swingarm, Boyesen reeds, clutch cable, Seat cover for whatever that seat is I'm getting with the subframe, water cooled 250R front fender to go on the new tripple clamps, wheels and tires, and an assortment of rubber bushings and other bolts and minor neccessities I will be needing. I'm so lucky I found this kit, as there is no way even with the shop full of tools I have at my disposal could I have made the entire thing from scratch. I just hope I can get everything together, and make it hold together long enough for it to dominate at the drag strip at TF05.

Maine_Triker
05-02-2005, 07:38 PM
Heck Yeah man!!!!! She's gonna be sweet!!!

Orangecnty250r
05-02-2005, 07:56 PM
I just read the magazine article.

I love the custom work some people have done for this conversion But I have to say scoring an actual Laeger conversion kit is out of this world. Nice Score!!!

Billy Golightly
05-02-2005, 07:59 PM
I just read the magazine article.

I love the custom work some people have done for this conversion But I have to say scoring an actual Laeger conversion kit is out of this world. Nice Score!!!

Absolutely, for me that was the most exciting part. I just hope that my swingarm, and subframe are not in terrible shape and that I will be able to use them without much hassle. Although after getting some of these parts like the front forks I'm expecting the worst :(

Lots_Of_Nothing
05-02-2005, 08:06 PM
Cool Bill.. Definatly looks like a metal cage surrounding a motor when you take the front + rear off :cool: .

Maybe you should throw some inverted forks on it while your getting new forks? :D

Oh.. durr.. wait.. You have cr500 forks, You have a complete cr500... Ahhh.. haha.

Atleast the guy sent the stuff.. Too bad some of its ****,, But its better then nothing eh? Maybe that explains his crappy auction pictures, the angle of the pics for the frontend were terrible.. Go figure :rolleyes:

trikerider2oo7
05-02-2005, 08:13 PM
sound slike a cool deal billy. but dont ya think your gettin in over your head? what happened to the 500x???

90nut
05-02-2005, 08:17 PM
Well I have been contemplating this cr 500 conversion far a while now. I have now found an 89 cr500 that runs great other than the kick starter slipping. It is my cousins and he wants 700 for it. I don't know what I am going to do but I am seriously thinking about it. I want to try to get him to trade me for my 302, tranny, 9 inch rear end, and fuel injection kit for the 5.0. I was going to use the stuff in my ranger but I think I may just have to part with it to get a ATC 500!

Billy Golightly
05-02-2005, 10:18 PM
I'm still waiting on 2 of the main parts, the swingarm and the subframe, but atleast I've got some of the stuff to get started with. I'm actually thinking about going with a 250R front fork setup because of how these clamps are bent...and because of weight. That might be a change later on down the road though.

I could finish the 500X if I wanted to, theres not that much left to do on it, I'm just at the end of my paitence with it right now and will have to wait a couple months till they recover before I start working on it again :p

More updates tomorrow if/when I receive more parts.

Billy Golightly
05-03-2005, 04:33 PM
No more parts today...Waiting impaitently for the rest of it to come in.

Derrick Adams
05-03-2005, 08:17 PM
FINALLY! Something interesting to read!

toyota200x
05-03-2005, 08:43 PM
Wow that it crazy that you found one of those kits. Hope you get your parts and they are not in bad shape.

Derrick Adams
05-03-2005, 09:38 PM
I just hope I can get everything together, and make it hold together long enough for it to dominate at the drag strip at TF05.

Them's big words buddy.

Billy Golightly
05-03-2005, 10:11 PM
Them's big words buddy.

Common Derrick, we got to have a 3 way 500cc 2 stroke line up at Trikefest. Get yours started also and we'll have some competition for Speedbumps Tiger 500. :D

Tri-ZNate
05-03-2005, 10:24 PM
1985 CR500 huh? Thats before they smoothed out the power band right? :cool:

Derrick Adams
05-04-2005, 12:18 AM
Common Derrick, we got to have a 3 way 500cc 2 stroke line up at Trikefest. Get yours started also and we'll have some competition for Speedbumps Tiger 500. :D

Don't worry. If I can get the CR500 bought this week, it will be there!

I see Honda, Honda, Tiger on the podium. :naughty:

Billy Golightly
05-04-2005, 07:09 PM
No parts today...Going to call the seller at 9:00PM (6:00 his time).

Billy Golightly
05-04-2005, 11:00 PM
No answer after 3 different calls, tried emailing, emails bounced back (Account closed?) Pinged IP address in email headers, its not connected now so the computer is not on. I've had another person call and they got a disconected message? Then another one got an answer. But all I get is a generic voicemail. Just used the ebay "Ask seller a question" thing to try sending him a message in case he changed his email on the ebay profile to something else, and I'm going to call and leave a message tomorrow. At this rate...chances of 500R at haspin are LOW.

TrikerR
05-04-2005, 11:30 PM
i doubt he would of sent the first few parts and then stooge you on the last couple of pachages.

Billy Golightly
05-05-2005, 10:45 AM
Doesn't seem logical, but **** who knows. Someone might have contacted him after he sold it and I sent him the money and offered more and he decided to take it.

Blown 331
05-05-2005, 11:01 AM

You guys are probably gonna laugh but you may be able to add a 2004 TRX500R to that line up, I'm not scared! 500cc of Honda uni-cam power.

bigredhead
05-05-2005, 11:16 AM
All the boxes should have been shipped at the same time..... imo.

Long drive to dude's house ?

Billy Golightly
05-05-2005, 03:11 PM
I finally got the swingarm, so maybe The rest is till coming. It was post marked April 21st, same as the first box so I guess its just been floating around, hard to believe but thats what was on it. Main reason I never ship anything US mail unless I have.

Lots_Of_Nothing
05-05-2005, 03:14 PM
Clouds are clearing eh?

Give it some time I guess., It took like 3 weeks for my front axle to get here. I love when you pay for priority shipping w/ tracking, and they send it parcel post w/ nothing.

BigGreenMachine
05-05-2005, 04:21 PM
So come on with the new pics already! LOL Just jazin ya man. Hope everything shows up soon.

Billy Golightly
05-09-2005, 09:50 PM
Updates Updates and more Updates!

Swingarm came, and subframe just came this afternoon. All I'm lacking now is the seat, the swing mount for the subframe (To flip the seat up) and the plastics. Let me go back a couple days and explain whats been done.

Swingarm came, it was luckily in good shape. Had some crappy assed neon green like paint on it (same as the subframe pictured below). I cleaned it up some and tried rattle can painting it but it didn't turn out good and I'm gonna have to take it off and redo it so it wont look totally ghetto with peices chipping off and whatever :p I've got a little high gloss black Imron left over...I might go with that. I'm not sure. Gonna swing by NAPA tomorrow and checkout their paint options and see what I can do. I also need to repaint the subframe for sure. I dont think I'll be able to paint the frame...so I hope it doesn't end up looking to bad. I had to pull the needle bearings out of my old swingarm and put into the new one, luckily they fit without a hitch and were not damaged during removal or installation. The rear end is also very soft now thanks to the extra leverage from the longer swingarm, which is good to keep it low and for drag racing but the front is still kind of stiff. I'm contemplating draining the fork oil and putting something like 5wt in it if I can which should hopefully help soften it up in relation to the rear. I'm not familiar with the front suspension innards of the CR500 (I've lost my book and have to get a new one) but I'm now wondering if it has a 2 spring setup like the stock Tri-Z, if I might be able to take the one short spring out to get it a little bit softer and closer to the ground in the front. Gonna try and look into that.

I had my friend straighten out the one bottom clamp that was bent some and press the stem into the new clamps. Came home and put those on, got the forks in there and when Zack was here he noticed the frontend was tweaked pretty bad, the forks were like twisted. We messed with it for a few minutes and think we got it fairly straight. I guess what happened is since the front axle wasn't in, and the forks werent clamped yet, the two tripples had like turned opposite directions and twisted the forks, or some weird **** like that. Anyways we got it pretty straight for the most part. The front axle which is a 250R one was a different size then the original CR500 front axle in both diameter and threads. So we had to drill out the one fork leg to 1/2 and tap it with a 14mmx1.5mm tap for the axle to screw into it. I then also discovered that the other end of the axle, where it rides in the right hand fork is SMALLER then the CR500 one by about 2mm so I used some brass shim stock, and just kinda rolled up a peice (its like thick foil sort of) and used that, works like a charm. Next thing was the front hub was not centered, so we had to make some spacers for that. Got that done and then got the front brake caliper bolted up.

Right about that time the mail lady pulls up with a box, which turns out to be my subframe. Unbeliveably, it was post marked the same as everything else APRIL TWENTY FIRST! Freakin insane, I'll never have anything else mailed with USPS if it isn't priority. Subframe has one bracket "welded" onto it that looks more like painted chicken crap, but eh you know whats how it goes. Its some sort of florescent green like the swingarm was. Its definetly getting sand blasted and re-painted.Probably something close to the original color of the frame. I'd like to paint it black but then I'm not sure what color I'd paint the swingarm. Bah decisions decisions.

Set the subframe aside and went back to the front end, pulled out an old front master cylinder I had from a 200x with a neat 2 finger lever on it. Was planning on using that but its junk, Stripped the screws in the cover out and then after drilling the heads off the rest of it broke off clean in the bottom. So I went on ebay and ordered 2 brand new old stock Cannondale front master cylinders, and 2 rear ones from fixturefan (Right at a $100 for all 4 peices and shipping) instead of having to screw around with the other one. I'm not sure whether I'm going to attempt to rig up rear brake or not at this time. The old master and the mount are still on the subframe but the problem is the 85 CR500 was still drum brakes on the back and therefore the frame does not really have the setup for the linkage to work the master cylinder. So that will take some thinking and finigling to make work right. I would still like to try and get one of those 2 finger leavers for the front master cylinder, probably when I place my order with either Rocky Mountain or Dennis Kirk for wheels tires and other things I need for it like the clutch kit, gasket/ seal kit, clamp on airfilter, reeds, cables, other assorted things.

So thats whats going on now. Enjoy the roller pictures.

Maine_Triker
05-09-2005, 09:55 PM
:w00t: :w00t:

She's lookin' good I tell ya!!! :naughty: :naughty:

REVSTER/250R
05-09-2005, 10:39 PM
sweeet keep the pics coming

Dynofox
05-09-2005, 11:08 PM
Very cool! Does the new triple tree accept an ATC front fender?

Billy Golightly
05-09-2005, 11:24 PM
Yes, in the Laegers article on the site it mentions it uses some 250R componets on the front end (hub, axle, wheel, ect) so I'm gonna guess the mounts on the tree are also for a 250R front fender.

Derrick Adams
05-09-2005, 11:50 PM
Sure are glad you posted that tapp size for the forks. Louis and I were just talking about that.

Hope to be starting on mine this weekend! Talked to SpeedBump today, said his should be done for TF too.

Orangecnty250r
05-10-2005, 06:39 AM
Seeing those parts bolt right up on that 500 makes it look like it was never even meant to be a motocross bike. I absolutely love it. If it was so easy for these companies to do this 20 years ago it would be even easier now. We need to lobby for a company to make conversion kits.

Nothing out there would ever beat an old school kit like this. You have any good fabrication guys that could reproduce a kit like yours?? Anyone have the entrepreuneur in them.

Keep up the good work that Machine is awesome!!!!

200xracer18
05-10-2005, 09:46 AM
all i have to say is that trike is tits but the green has to go

Billy Golightly
05-10-2005, 09:47 AM
That is probably an enventual thing that is going to happen. I have pretty much, a full machine shop here minus a pipe bender and a vertical band saw. The kit is kind of heavy, every peice is steel. Swingarm, tripples, subframe. I would like to experiment with some aluminum componets, like for the subframe and tripple clamps. I want to see about making kits like this for modern dirtbikes :D

Darius1502
05-10-2005, 09:52 AM
I totally agree. I think its great to put the kits on old 500's....but gosh what about an Aluminum framed CR 250 with a CR 500 power plant....now that would be awesome!!

Also keep in mind that since Honda and Yamaha have done some cross breeding with thier product lines (i.e., YFZ 450, YZ 450F, CR 450, Fourtrax 450) the job may be easier.

I see it coming....I really do!!

OldSchoolin86
05-10-2005, 09:55 AM
I totally agree. I think its great to put the kits on old 500's....but gosh what about an Aluminum framed CR 250 with a CR 500 power plant....now that would be awesome!!
With the right tools these conversions would be real easy to make for the new bikes. If I had the tools and money you'd already see them.

The trike is looking good billy, can't wait to see it at TF05.

TrikerR
05-10-2005, 10:01 AM
if you do...i want one for a Cr80 and CR125...paypal do. lol.

toyota200x
05-10-2005, 10:05 AM
Sorry if this has been posted but are the foot pegs home made? It looks like someone made them on a metal lathe. The trike is looking really good.

Man would I love to see a '05 cr 250 made into a trike. I have been thinking about doing that once I am done with college.

TrikerR
05-10-2005, 10:10 AM
Sorry if this has been posted but are the foot pegs home made? It looks like someone made them on a metal lathe. The trike is looking really good.

yea, it kinda looks like a BMX grind peg :wondering

3Razors
05-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Mark Laeger still makes these kits on a limited basis. He sold his company long ago "Laegers" and now he's into oval track car stuff. Jeff Slavery at metal tech engineering makes CR500 conversion kit too.

www.metaltechproducts.com

Billy Golightly
05-10-2005, 01:41 PM
yea, it kinda looks like a BMX grind peg :wondering

Yeah, I started off making those since the bike peg was to skinny. I didn't get it right where it mounts to the frame though and its kind of sloppy heh. I'll probably take them off and re-do them. They look neat but need some more work.

RideRed250R
05-10-2005, 01:54 PM
what year bike is it again???

Blown 331
05-10-2005, 01:57 PM
How did you find that kit? I guess no one makes them anymore? I want one!

RideRed250R
05-10-2005, 02:05 PM
i wonder if * couldnt just modify the old swing arm with a 250R rear half and fit a 250R front forks and trees on it
adam

Orangecnty250r
05-10-2005, 02:15 PM
http://tiger.towson.edu/~lmielk1/atc500r.html

Theres a little more to it than that.

Billy Golightly
05-10-2005, 02:22 PM
The bike is an 85. Talk about weird, Honda had disc brakes on the back of the 250R in 82, and the flagship dirtbike still had drum on the back in 85 :eek:

The kit was actually purchased on ebay, and Craig (mywifeknowseverything) had posted the link to it here in the ebay forum but I sent him a PM and told him I was watching it and I'd really appreciate it if he'd delete so not everyone in the world would see it. He was a cool dude and did, I REALLY owe him one for that. Thanks a million Craig!

I'm getting ready to head over to the shop and sandblast the subframe and paint it. I got some stuff today called "Allis Chalmers Orange" that looks fairly close to the original honda orange the frame and original subframe was.

Yamahondaman
05-10-2005, 04:27 PM
Hey Billy .... Last Time a CR500 Beat me was at SaltsDale ...MEAN Machine !!!
only by 2 ft. Though !!! wrong Paddles that day...Hade the HILL Paddles on
I'll be ready for 05 !! One Thing though !!!! Them guy's that put 10,000 buc's in those Banshee's are HARD TO BEAT !!! with our..."1000" Bike's !! i like it !!!

Yamahondaman
05-10-2005, 04:31 PM
Orange.........................NICE !!!!

Billy Golightly
05-10-2005, 05:09 PM
Thanks alot Ronnie. No doubt some of those guys are tough (Or impossible, Pocket change racing, those guys up at GA with the 3cyl banshee come to mind!) I've got alot of little stuff I need to order for it. I was hoping to be able to get another pipe other then the DG one but I guess it'll work. Right now all I'm waiting for is the seat, the pivot the seat mounts on (For it to flip up) and the fenders. Hopefully it'll come soon.

Yamahammer490
05-10-2005, 05:10 PM
Check out www.red-racer.com for lots of cool stuff related to the older CR machines. They have "Tahitian Red" spraypaint which might match very closely. I found the site when I was looking for old school stickers for my perpetually-on-hold Yamaha 490 conversion.

Good work on the CR500, by the way!

Yamahondaman
05-10-2005, 07:15 PM
Hey Billy... i heard THAT THING ...."3-Cyl. Banshee" cost like 45-50 THousand Buc's !!!! NO WONDER IT'S FAST !!! :-) i can get my cousin's "ZILLA" ..it's onlt 15 Thousand Buc's or His 1000cc TRI-Z ...... Check It Out ... Hey Yamahammer .... i had a 85 ATC250-R Called the .......SLEDGEHAMMER !!! Cool Huh ? .... SEE YASSSSSS

MTS
05-10-2005, 07:28 PM

Also keep in mind that since Honda and Yamaha have done some cross breeding with thier product lines (i.e., YFZ 450, YZ 450F, CR 450, Fourtrax 450) the job may be easier.

I see it coming....I really do!!
My mechanics teacher has an alum frame 02 cr250 with a 91 cr 500 motor in it, that thing freakin motors, kills absolutely EVERYONE in super motard at the tracks hear, even in the rain he is lapping second place..... :D

Billy Golightly
05-10-2005, 07:34 PM
Hey Billy... i heard THAT THING ...."3-Cyl. Banshee" cost like 45-50 THousand Buc's !!!! NO WONDER IT'S FAST !!! :-) i can get my cousin's "ZILLA" ..it's onlt 15 Thousand Buc's or His 1000cc TRI-Z ...... Check It Out ... Hey Yamahammer .... i had a 85 ATC250-R Called the .......SLEDGEHAMMER !!! Cool Huh ? .... SEE YASSSSSS

Holy ****, now thats some serious coin! Where does that zilla and the Z race at, anywheres local? I'd really like to see them in action. Probably blink and miss the run haha.

Oldshell4481
05-10-2005, 08:01 PM
That is awesome, is there any way that the front forks can be shorter, it has that chopper look to it. but i guess where its a drag trike it might help. i have no clue about racing. cant wait to see the finished project.

KASEY
05-11-2005, 12:57 AM
wel if he gets it built and running he will DOMINATE at the tf05 drag races,,,,

200xracer18
05-11-2005, 09:29 AM
One Thing though !!!! Them guy's that put 10,000 buc's in those Banshee's are HARD TO BEAT !!! with our..."1000" Bike's !! i like it !!!
yah i have a banshee for sale or trade right now with about $10k in it on alky and nitrous i used it for flat track ice racing

Billy Golightly
05-11-2005, 03:08 PM
Seat and fenders came this afternoon, along with the one piece they pivot on. The pivot piece is tweaked pretty bad at the back where it bolts onto the subframe. Primer is drying on the subframe. I'll probably shoot 1-2 more coats of primer on it tonight and maybe try and get some of the final on it tonight before it starts getting dark. Right now I'm getting ready to order a bunch of stuff from Dennis Kirk, and Rocky mountain for it and my Tri-Z. When I get done I'll post a total back here.

Billy Golightly
05-11-2005, 04:03 PM
Qty
Unit
Product
Other Info
# On Hand
Weight
Unit Price
Price
1 each Part# 262849
Complete Gasket Set with Oil Seals Type: Complete Set Units: each 3 on hand 0.43 Lbs. $77.95 $77.95
1 set Part# 38633
Vesrah Clutch Discs No. of Discs: Set of 7 Type: Clutch Disc Units: set 10 on hand 0.37 Lbs. $83.99 $83.99
1 each Part# 170051
Genuine Keihin 13 Series Main Jets - Size 150/152/155/158/160 Type: Main Jet Units: each More than 10 on hand 0.06 Lbs. $20.99 $20.99
1 each Part# 170052
Genuine Keihin 13 Series Main Jets - Size 160/162/165/168/170 Type: Main Jet Units: each More than 10 on hand 0.06 Lbs. $20.99 $20.99
1 each Part# 38704
Vesrah Heavy-Duty Springs Type: Spring Units: each 2 on hand 0.18 Lbs. $11.99 $11.99
1 each Part# 18336
Power Reeds Type: Reed Units: each 4 on hand 0.06 Lbs. $39.99 $39.99
1 each Part# C5502F
Clutch Cable Type: Cable - Clutch Units: each More than 10 on hand 0.31 Lbs. $13.95 $13.95
1 each Part# 30704
Two Stage Red/Black Pod Filter for Straight Carb Type Inside Diameter: 2.5 in. Length: 4 in. Type: Air Filter Units: each More than 10 on hand 0.18 Lbs. $15.99 $15.99
1 each Part# 21202
Tether Kill Switch Type: Tether Units: each More than 10 on hand 0.12 Lbs. $17.95 $17.95

Thank you for your order!

If you have any questions or comments, please either email or call Customer Service:
Orders@denniskirk.com or 1-800-328-9280

What do you think of this Merchant?

Total Weight: 1.77 Lbs.
Sub Total: $303.79
Shipping: FREE
Tax: $0.00
Order Total: $303.79

There is my Dennis Kirk order...

Billy Golightly
05-11-2005, 04:49 PM
More stuff, from MAC (Midwest Action Cycle)

19508-KA3-710
19052-KA3-830
19051-KA3-830
90403-KA3-830
16221-KA5-690
19509-KA3-730
30300-ML3-000

Total with UPS ground shipping: $140.23

Lots_Of_Nothing
05-11-2005, 04:52 PM
What tires are you going with? I remember talking about it in chat.. I was up to my neigbors today, and he had these on the shelf, Didnt know if you would be interested, But I snapped a pic anyways;

http://img148.echo.cx/img148/2419/tires2hq.jpg

Tires sold to Bill.. Glad to help you out. Told you I could get a deal :cool:

hrc85250r
05-11-2005, 04:56 PM
hey lots of nothing, i might be interested in those, let me know whats up

Billy Golightly
05-13-2005, 06:11 PM
OK, got the subframe mounted today (the paint that went on it sucked, might as well been rattle canning it but whatever I can't afford to be picky right now). Anyways look at the pictures below. In the laegers article on the site it says they used watercooled 250R seat and fenders. Obviously the ones I have are a far far far cry from being correct considering everything is mounted right. They look like 83-84 seat and fenders to me, am I right? If so I can make the changes (hopefully) with a different seat and fender without hacking up the subframe. Someone throw me a bone and quick!

Billy Golightly
05-13-2005, 06:13 PM
last ones.

After re-reading the laegers article it says "...an ATC rear fender and seat assembly.." the previous context is 85-87 250R, but it doesn't specify exactly on the seat and rear fenders. ****...

RideRed250R
05-13-2005, 06:32 PM
yes those are 83-84 seat and fenders. water cooled fenders are un even, if you have a water-cooled set you will totally understand when i say uneven, its like the right and left side of the fenders are about half a inch longer then the back, also the seat is pointed not like a square shape.
adam

Louis Mielke
05-13-2005, 11:30 PM
Dude, you so need to get the 88-89 CR tank and shrouds. That years red color will match the 250r plastic. Then it will be perfect.

ScottZJ
05-14-2005, 12:41 PM
Billy I got you a set of maier rear plastic with 85R seat, I posted on your for sale section post. Hit me up if you want them asap so I can ship out today.

atczack
05-14-2005, 04:43 PM
Kick ass Billy!!! Lucky I live so close, I can come ride it, umm, I mean, help you with it if you want.... :D

ATC crazy
05-14-2005, 06:11 PM
In the last pic of the rear-end...it looks like the frame is tweaked :wondering

Oldshell4481
05-14-2005, 06:43 PM
it might just be the way the plastic is sitting on it

OldSchoolin86
05-14-2005, 10:35 PM
More stuff, from MAC (Midwest Action Cycle)
I live 15min form this place if you ever needed anything brought to TF.

Billy Golightly
05-16-2005, 07:25 PM
Na actually the footpegs is whats off. I need to tweak the way they fit and actually make then angle a little upwards so your foot wont slip off.

I got my new liquidated cannondale brake parts from fixturefan today. Got the front mastercylinder on and bled, man that thing clamps like a mofo. Pull the lever a quarter of the way in and the front tire is tighter then heck. Works real good. The rear mastercylinder is going to require a little bit of fabrication and custom linkage from the brake pedal to the new master on the subframe. Mainly, because the bike had a drum brake and I dont have any linkage to start with. I will probably start off with a peice of all thread stock (or threaded rod as its known) to get some bends and get the jist of it figured out. The one picture below of the green parts on the floor, is what came with the kit. I'm gonna throw away the old master cylinder and try to use the old caliper, caliper mount, and the brake hose. Hopefully the rear caliper is useable and will not need rebuilt also.

Also, carb float is either stuck or the needle valve and seat need replaced in the carb. I hooked the fuel line up to it today and it instantly started pouring out. Hopefully my DK parts will come in tomorrow and I can get alot of stuff put on it. My new set of seat and fenders from ScottZJ (Thanks again man!) will be coming in Wednesday evening. Remote possibility I will be riding it this weekend....never know :D

chris200x
05-16-2005, 07:31 PM
Honda atc, you think a front mastercylinder set up you have would work on an 85' 200x? Were'd you get that from?

Billy Golightly
05-16-2005, 07:36 PM
I dont see any reason why not...I got it from ebay. look up the seller "fixturefan". Their real cheap, I got 2 fronts, and 2 backs + shipping for a little over a $100.

Tri-ZNate
05-16-2005, 07:48 PM
I cant wait to see the 500R drag at TF!

Lots_Of_Nothing
05-16-2005, 07:53 PM
Add this to the "on the way" list Bill;

http://img86.echo.cx/img86/8805/tireship29bi.jpg

Billy Golightly
05-16-2005, 08:02 PM
saweet! Front fender and rear tires are on the way then.

Lots_Of_Nothing
05-16-2005, 08:11 PM
Well, front fender coudnt go in the packaging, due to the fact.. well.. Haha.. you'll see the way those tires are packed...

Fender is going out tomorrow via priority mail. It should beat the tires there.

Billy Golightly
05-16-2005, 08:16 PM
*Raises an eyebrow* haha OK. Well either way stuff is on the way so thats good. Thanks man.

Derrick Adams
05-17-2005, 05:34 PM
So what tires are you running on the back of yours?

I picked up some 18" turf tamers for mine, but I think I may put them on the Z and run the 20" Badlands on the back of the 500.

Billy Golightly
05-17-2005, 06:50 PM
Jared is hooking me up with some original Ohtsu Pro-wedge tires. They'll be mounted on gold 250R rims. They are 22x11x9's. The prowedges are those kind of wacky looking paddle/balloon tires but they actually are about the best thing there is for dirt drags. Now, if it rains...I'll have to pull the All-Traks from my trx250R and use them :p

I got my DK parts today. Got my new clutch plates and springs put in, changed the kickstarter shaft seal and was going to change the waterpump one when I took the cover off. Holy crap! The entire thing is like eroded, its like the aluminum in the case in that area has just dissolved. Derrick you better pull yours and take a look at it. I found some JB weld on the bottom of mine a while back, but man the whole inside of the water pump was reconstructed out of JB on mine. Unbeleivable. Anyways, after that was all I done I changed out my clutch cable, reeds, and added in a tether switch since my old kill switch was dead and I kind of wanted a tether for safety. No pictures now, sorry. Also ran into a problem with the clamp on airfilter, it doesn't fit inbetween the frame and shock. So either I got to A: find a peice of pipe to bring it further back and make a hanger (will be hard since it will have to be an oddball size) or I use part of the airbox boot from the CR500 and use a CR500 type airfilter along with a custom hanger (Probably what I will be doing.) If I got that route I got to order another new airfilter. Will probably decide which I'm doing tomorrow. Seat and fenders will be coming in from ScottZJ tomorrow. Hopefully my 15ft length of chain will be in from ebay also. I did some looking around at the exhaust and rear brake setup this afternoon, got some ideas but not gonna do anythign till the seat and fenders are here where I can mock up around them. If things go my way, I believe I will have a one of a kind exhaust that has never been done before :-)

Billy Golightly
05-18-2005, 04:01 PM
Well I dunno wtf to do...I got ScottZJ's seat and fenders today and they do not fit any better then the aircooled ones that were on there. I still have a 2.5inch gap between the seat and fenders. After looking at it some, it appears that the subframe is to long, or something. I dont quite understand it. After closer inspection, the one I have is not the same one/style that is in the magazine article. My seat pivot mounts another 3-4 inches back which is creating the gap inbetween the seat and gas tank. Atleast, thats what I think. Maybe the pivot peice I have is not the original one, I dont know. One things for sure, something is ****** up.

I might have to just bolt the dirtbike seat and subframe back on...but thats weak, gay, and stupid looking. **** I dont know...:cry:

Louis Mielke
05-18-2005, 04:23 PM
Hence the atc500rs delema. looks or function. it kinda really sucks. I heard that was the big complaint about the leagers kits too, the seat and fenders never matched up quite right. Whatever you do don't put the bike fenders and seat back on...that would be gey. lol. anyway. awsome that you got ahold of a whole kit. very awsome.

Billy Golightly
05-18-2005, 04:28 PM
In the article everything lines up perfect and looks great...so I know it can be done. I just want to know WHAT it was that they did to make it right. Knowing my luck I've probably got a rare prototype one that was the first or second one they made before they did a major revision to the way it was all used :rolleyes:

Louis Mielke
05-18-2005, 04:33 PM
Just remember, heat gun is the plastic fabricators best friend. Make those things fit. Also, I wouldn't cut the subframe, worse come to worse have new mounting locations added.

Billy Golightly
05-18-2005, 04:34 PM
The part that I really dont understand is how everything else can line up with the pivot on the subframe, the seat and fenders bolt down perfectly in line with the bolts in the pivot, but the fricken thing is that far off from the tank :pissed: Bah I dunno. My trx250r seat seemed to fit slightly better but it still looks weird as hell.

Louis Mielke
05-18-2005, 04:37 PM
Are the fenders that far back or just the seat? Seems the thing for these older seats and stuff is that then bend backwards after time..the seat isn;t just outa shape is it from seat time? post a picture maybe a second hand view will point out something your not noticing.

RideRed250R
05-18-2005, 04:47 PM
the question is...... just take a heat gun to the seat pan and bend it forward like stated before, i think thats what i would do.
adam
hope * get it all set up

Billy Golightly
05-18-2005, 05:55 PM
Its almost exactly the same as the old seat and fenders:

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11071
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11070

More then normal seat pull back, IMO. In the laegers article, the top, and the bottom of the seat both are pushed up very nicely with the gas tank and the rear fenders have a small gap 1/4 to 1/2 an inch from the bottom corner of the tank. I also, just noticed the gas tanks are different. Mine seems to have more a tear drop in the bottom then the one in the article does. The scoops are the same shape...but wait the place where they line up on the tank is different. Theres an edge on the other one, the lines do not match. WTF are they usin an ATC250R gas tank on that then with the CR scoops? Hmmm... Oh snap, I think I just figured it out. If you look closely at the one side picture in the laegers article: http://www.files.3wheelerworld.com/MagScans/Laeger500R.pdf the back half of the engine cradle where the subframe bolts on, seems to come more the front then mine does. Check the positioning under the tanks. SOB! Must have been one of the year changes from the 85's and others. That sucks.

TrikerR
05-18-2005, 06:46 PM
it looks like its the tank fault. it should be anonther couple of inches longer.

Derrick Adams
05-18-2005, 08:17 PM
So what's the solution? Move the tank rearward, or shorten the subframe?

It also looks like those early conversions had oversized tanks on them.

Billy Golightly
05-18-2005, 09:48 PM
Haven't figured it out yet. Its looking like shorten the subframe is what it is. That or the bike seat and fenders. The only problem with shortening the subframe is that its going to make the fenders close tot he pegs, and it feels kind of akward.

RideRed250R
05-18-2005, 10:00 PM
i think i got it for yah... look at the pics of the red once sideways... does that seat look higher to you??? and then look at the bottom of the plastic, its right at the foot pegs, also i think its a high flite seat and add some 1/4 inch washers under the rear of the plastic, it looks in the picture that its angled pointing down in the front of the seat.
adam

Jeb
05-19-2005, 08:54 AM
I agree that those 500's in the article have desert tanks on them.

Billy, is your CR an 85? Aren't the article ones 86 or 87 models? Don't know if that would make any difference or not.

Perhaps you could make some aluminum brackets to move the seat/fender assembly forward?

Billy Golightly
05-19-2005, 09:22 AM
Yup, mines an 85. I posted a message on a CR500 riders forum about the differences between the 85's and 88's. The kit supposedly came from an 88 model. At the time I got it though, I was kind of under the impression that the 85-88's were for the most part the same. Evidently not so. I'm probably gonna have to hack something up, like the seat pivot. I'm also gonna check fitment using a trx250R seat from my quad (seems to look longer then the ATC R one) and see how that turns out. I think I can get it figured out one way or another.

Billy Golightly
05-19-2005, 04:19 PM
Alright..seat problem is more or less solved. I'm just not gonna run fenders for now. Made a new bracket and welded it onto the seat pivot. I'm using the 85 250R seat I got from ScottZJ. The pivot is still functional, but theres no use in it since you can crank it with the seat down now. I actually cranked it up and ran it a bit, sounds good. As soon as my chain, and K&N filter from Denns Kirk gets here I'm going for a ride :D

Lots_Of_Nothing
05-20-2005, 02:07 PM
Bill, I just tracked them tires and saw something I havent seen before.. They rescheduled the delivery?

Rescheduled
Rescheduled Delivery: May 23, 2005

Shipped to: LIVE OAK, FL, US
Shipped or Billed on: May 16, 2005

Tracking Number: 1Z 9AW 604 03 0002 677 6
Service Type: GROUND
Weight: 28.00 Lbs
Note: Your package is in the UPS system and has a rescheduled delivery date of May 23, 2005.

I guess they must of thought it would be there the 20th or 21st, and then they realized that you are in the middle of nowhere.

86250RZ
05-20-2005, 02:20 PM
[QUOTE=Lots_Of_Nothing]Bill, I just tracked them tires and saw something I havent seen before.. They rescheduled the delivery?

This is very common. I shipped 3 packages out the other day from my shop and 2 were rescheduled. Normaly happens with late pick-ups from UPS or if you take a package to UPS late in the day.

Orangecnty250r
05-21-2005, 02:24 PM
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://100megsfree4.com/honda/h0500/cr500r-86.jpg&imgrefurl=http://100megsfree4.com/honda/h0500/elsinore.htm&h=183&w=325&sz=18&tbnid=ihmpxN0ATMAJ:&tbnh=64&tbnw=114&hl=en&start=4&prev=/images%3Fq%3D1986%2Bcr%2B500%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26r ls%3DGGLD,GGLD:2004-52,GGLD:en%26sa%3DN

Pretty good info on cr 500 identifying years, serial #s and specs. I think you already figured out your problem but good info for anyone thinking of this project.

Billy Golightly
05-21-2005, 09:20 PM
:eek: :eek:

Let me reiterate,

:eek:

I just rode it, and holy cow. Its got so much power, even at low RPM. I only rode it for like 5 minutes and quit because my parents were hollering at me telling me I was gonna kill myself (Was even wearin my helmet!) But holy hell, this thing FREAKIN FLIES! I've never in my life rode anything so fast before. I was just barely getting on the throttle, just kind of rolling onto it, and going across our front pasture I was still fighting to keep from sliding off the back seat. Thing is absolutely unbelievable. If I can get the balls to rev it up and dump the clutch, and keep the rear tires with some decent traction I'm convinced theres not much of anything that can catch it. Man its FAST. I woulda rode it earlier this afternoon but I had problems and could not get it started for anything in the world. So I was pissed at it, I tried 2 different times about 3 hours apart, couldn't get it to go. So I went to town and did some errands with my mom before we go to pickup that roller Tri-Z tomorrow and when I got home I was like "I'm going back over there and I'm kicking till that peice of **** cranks, no matter what" Well after 10-15 attempts I turned the choke off and did an old 4 stroke trick for when its flooded (Full throttle) first time I kicked it back fired and I was like "Ahhhh hahah i gotacha now!" kicked it 2 more times and it fired right up with the muffer-less pipe cracking and ecohing inside the shop. I idled over to the house got my helmet (it stayed idling the whole time) and went took a couple quick spins on it, and man its FAST FAST FAST! Its hard to turn also, because of the legth I guess. First time I've ever really rode anything with a long ass extended swingarm like it.

I took some pictures of it out in the yard, here they are. Trail Pros and rear rims will be replaced with some vintage Ohtsu Pro wedges on gold 250R rims monday. Also the new airfilter (K&N) will be coming then also. I bought a clampon to go on the carb, but it wont work because of the small amount of space between the frame and shock. I ended up gutting the original airbox and using the tube and the filter mount, my dad made a nice little aluminum hanger to bolt onto the subframe (Bracket was already conveinently located there when I got it). Also getting a front fender, so that will help out the appearence a bit. I need to go buy a heat gun and mold the seat pan a teeny bit. The forward corners dig into your leg when you kick start it. I think I can heat it up and pull it in some, which will in turn pull the front down and make it fit even better with the gas tank. In a couple of the pictures you will see the subframe, and the pivot mount. The old bolt on bracket I left on the pivot mount. The new one is the large oval shaped peice, it works well. Eventually I will probably pull the cover/foam off and drill holes in the pan and add in 2 more bolts to allow the seat to bolt up to the front of the pivot bracket since its only hooked in the back now. Debating on whether I'll leave it straight piped (Its not loud when you put a helmet on, honest, hahahahaha!) or alteast make some preperations to put on a silencer if I need to. I know sound is a big issue at riding places (Haspin in particular) and I dont want to cause any problems so I will probably get something setup where its easily removeable. Also included is some pictures of my new controls, Motion Pro twist throttle and cable, Cannondale front mastercylinder, and the tether switch I got from DK since I wanted to have one of those for safety reasons. I also replaced the clutch cable. Its a biatch to pull, really hard. Thats the CR500 clutch springs I reckon, alot harder pull then normal 250cc stuff I'm use to heh. Anyways that'll be it, I'm gonna be leaving in the morning to go up to GA and spend the day screwing around up there (Prolly gonna go to the theatre and see episode 3) and then go pickup the Z monday morning and head back down. My stuff from DK and the tires from Jared will be here when I get home, get that stuff put on it. Be able to do a little carb tuning, work on the pipe stuff, and be close to done :D

Billy Golightly
05-21-2005, 09:26 PM
More pictures....

Billy Golightly
05-21-2005, 09:32 PM
Last ones...

Tri-ZNate
05-21-2005, 09:43 PM
lookin real good! You better bring that to TF

Derrick Adams
05-21-2005, 10:05 PM
Wonder if you turn those front forks around if it will steer better? It sure seems like it has ALOT of rake like that. Think i'll try it on mine when I get to that point. MAN, i'm excited now, that thing looks freakin' AWESOME as a trike!!!!

How does it sit, height wise compared to the Z?

Billy Golightly
05-21-2005, 10:16 PM
Very close to the same actually. I know this sags more when I sit on it then my Z does, so it might end up being shorter actually. The thing with flipping the forks around is that either the front caliper is on the front side of the fork then, or I just swap sides. I guess you could do that? I'm probably gonna keep mine raked out like that since its for the drags only. How is yours coming Derrick? I've noticed with mine this afternoon, evidently I got a bent shift fork or something. Its damn near impossible to get it into neutral even if its turned off and the engine isn't running. Keeps wanting to skip passed it. I'm not gonna worry with it now, screw with it when I get back after haspin.

toyota200x
05-21-2005, 10:27 PM
Wow you have done a lot of work. How old are you? Keep on working through those problems and you will have a rad machine.

Derrick Adams
05-21-2005, 10:33 PM
Turns out mine has a broken shift return spring. The guys are taking care of it before I take back possesion of it. I'm also having them check out the water pump before I get it back.

I've never really been able to figure out the science and theory on front axle location. What's your thoughts? (as far as axle location on the forks) You said, you'd like to keep the axle in the front for drag racing, for what reason? Are you thinking that it would it effectively make the front weight out further to help keep the front down, or would having the axle behind the forks effectively shift your body weight more to the front?
Is shortening the front wheel length the same as extending the rear wheel length? Or not? I think it could be argued either way. Food for debate!

Billy Golightly
05-21-2005, 10:46 PM
Well, no doubt that the further away from the rider the point with the ground gets, the less traction it has. Very long extended swingarms have very little leverage and wait on them, which actually hurts traction. I would assume the frontend, would be the same. However it does not pull any, so traction is fairly irrelevant, (right?). I would like to lower the frontend some if I could, but keep the rake. I dont see how thats possible, and even lowering it looks to be a little bit tricky now. Honda machined the forks on these down to a smaller diameter in a posistion that makes it impossible to slide them up in the clamps like we do on our trikes. The smaller part of the fork just flops around inside the tripples, theres that much of a difference. I was also thinking about checking and see if there was a second spring in the forks, like the Tri-Z and other trikes. Thought I could remove that, and get a few inches lower but the CR only has one long spring from what I've seen in the service manual. My only option might be trying some thinner fork oi. And I'm not sure if I want to pull them out and do that now or not. In the future, I might run 250R front forks because of the length and weight differences.

Toyota200x, I'm 18. Been doing ALOT of work on this thing to get it ready for TF. I sure hope everything goes OK with it between now and then.

BIGCRIP28
05-22-2005, 07:55 PM
how many links are in that chain? :D

86250RZ
05-23-2005, 02:27 PM
All I have to say is.....Sweeeeeeet!

ATC crazy
05-23-2005, 04:36 PM
You actually rode that thing with NO rear brakes!!!! :eek:

Haha....she's looking great Billy! I cant wait to see it totally finished.

Billy Golightly
05-23-2005, 08:08 PM
I got my tires...got them mounted. Fricken 200X wheel hubs, the studs are to short on them so my nuts are only holding by like 3 threads haha. Also got my K&N filter, got it on and rode it some more. I was by the shop and I went over a small hill and it died on me, haven't got it to crank since then. I thought I had the technique down pretty good (choke off, throttle wide open) but it wouldn't do it so I had to roll it back in the shop. This thing is just STUPID fast. Everytime I try to row through the gears I have to stop or I'm gonna fly off the back, I'm not kidding. These new tires hook up pretty good. I was thinking about taking it to the sand drags at Saltsdale, down in Umatilla FL this coming weekend but I think I kind of decided I'm gonna pass becase I dont want to take the chance on breaking something on it. I'm gonna keep working on it and tweak on it some more. Gonna work on the exhaust and make it where I can put on a silencer and still keep it easily removeable. Also need to do rear brakes. I have to weld on a peice to the rear brake pedal, waiting on my 200X disk from dirtface (Thanks again man!), and then see if the caliper that came with it is any good or not. I still dont quite understand why all the rear end and axle stuff is 200x, but thats what it is :p The front brake works great, and it will help you get stopped thankfully. I'm probably gonna also cut my shifter in half and make it shorter..the posistion the footpegs are in now makes it a little bit akward to get to the shifter in a hurry. Also gonna order a smaller front sprocket, maybe bigger rear also. Its geared very very tall. Overall its coming together very well. If its running at TF, I will shave my beard if another trike beats me :D

hrc85250r
05-23-2005, 09:04 PM
pics??? i would almost break my foot trying to start mine....at times it was black and blue....good luck!....

wheelie king
05-23-2005, 09:29 PM
Aw man, Billy,.......
Shave your beard if you're beaten??? I smell a bet or two at TF....... :beer I've seen B ride......I at least got a 10 spot on him!!!! :w00t:

Billy Golightly
05-23-2005, 09:41 PM
I'll get some more pictures tomorrow, not much of anything new other then the tires and airfilter, but I'll get some.

LMAO Greg, I figured I had to do something to get something stirred up for the drag racing. Frankly I'm a little bit worried about what Ronnie (Yamahondaman) has up his sleeve, he has WAY more experience then me. I'm the newb when it comes to this stuff. We'll see how it turns out :D

Oh yeah, on the chain question, a little over 6.5ft is how long the chain is :eek:

Derrick Adams
05-23-2005, 10:31 PM
Your soo lucky you didn't say you'd shave your head! :p Now i'm super determined. :beer

Billy Golightly
05-24-2005, 09:01 PM
As I promised, new pictures. These pro wedge tires work pretty damn good in the sand and loose dirt. I did a few runs up and down the dirt road infront of my house, and I dug trenches like 4 inches deep in the hard pack all the way till I got out of 3rd gear :eek: Nothin special about the pictures, just a close up of the filter, the tread on the tires, and the pegs that I need to tweak a little bit more. I've been riding it quite a bit trying to get adjusted to the power...i think I'm starting to get the hang of it. I need to tighten the slack up in the clutch cable a little bit...if you even release it a tiny bit off the bars it catches. No real room to slip it when starting is what I'm saying I guess. I'm probably gonna swap out the lugs in the hubs for some longer 250r ones, so I can get a full nut on the threads holding the wheels on instead of a 1/3 :p Overall, its shaping up real well and if the motor doesn't blow up between now and TF I should be in good shape.

BIGCRIP28
05-24-2005, 09:44 PM
are you gonna run any rear fenders on it?

Billy Golightly
05-24-2005, 09:47 PM
Maybe eventually, but not for now.

03 ORANGE SHEE
05-24-2005, 09:54 PM
that came along nice, rear fenders will cause too much drag ;) all in all it turned out nice, see ya there........ :D

Red Rider
05-25-2005, 01:11 AM
HondaATC, those foot pegs don't look like they're gonna provide much traction. Don't slip a foot off, or you'll have 500cc's of Honda 2-stroke power ripping your pants, boots, leg hair, & skin off! :eek:

Billy Golightly
05-25-2005, 08:28 AM
Hahaha yeah, the footpegs aren't perfect yet. I'm gonna take them back off and put them in the lathe and cut the grooves a little bit deeper. Maybe weld on a small shoulder on the outside edge. The seat is the slipperiest thing now. Need to get a different cover made out of some of that gripper material or something.

Billy Golightly
05-25-2005, 09:52 PM
A couple videos shot this afternoon

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/remote/500RClip1.wmv
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/remote/500R2.wmv

Billy Golightly
05-25-2005, 10:08 PM
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/remote/500R3.wmv

Thats the last one. Enjoy!

ATCWRENCH
05-25-2005, 11:05 PM
That is just nuts :Bounce :w00t:. I have one hellava need for speed and I think that would do me just fine for a while. To bad I can't make it to trike fest this year or you would have to beat me off your tirke with a stick and then wipe off all the drool on the seat. The only thing i have to say i dont like about it is the twist throttle, they only belong on a bike and granite it used to be a bike but i would still convert it if i had an adrenaline machine like that.

Oh yea and one other thing. Too much fun, whats that mean?
Dont have to much fun cuz I know i would.

Billy Golightly
05-25-2005, 11:13 PM
hehehe I use to always be a thumb person, but I converted to twist a while back and prefer it on everything anymore. Feels alot more natural, once you get use to it.

Orangecnty250r
05-25-2005, 11:25 PM
Thanks, The video clips are great. It sounds like its a handful. Congrats!!

bigredhead
05-26-2005, 01:15 PM
oh man. i love the sound of that monster...

Needs rear fenders if you plan to ride it around.. but holy crap that that sounds wicked.

Have you dared trying to pull a donut with it ?

BIGCRIP28
05-26-2005, 02:04 PM
cool vids. sounds and looks nice.

Billy Golightly
05-26-2005, 03:05 PM
I did break the rearend loose a little bit doing a turn, but no real donuts yet. Its actually probably to long to do a good one. Tires are for straight lines only also. Will probably get another set of wheels with some good paddle tires on it soon.

atczack
05-26-2005, 06:30 PM
Kick ass Billy!!!!!!!!

Dynofox
05-26-2005, 09:21 PM
Looks like a blast to ride! You should charge a fee at TF to let others take it for a spin, you'd probably pay for your whole trip that way! :D

jmack3986
05-26-2005, 10:31 PM
i wonder if someone will make a a new kit for new CRs like the crf 250 and crf 450 or even a cr250

Meat-BoX
05-26-2005, 10:35 PM
videos didnt work for me :cry:

BIGCRIP28
05-27-2005, 08:53 AM
videos didnt work for me :cry:

you might need divx or xvid codecs

ATC crazy
05-27-2005, 07:04 PM
Wow Billy....that thing is Awesome!!!

Billy Golightly
05-27-2005, 07:07 PM
heh thanks ATC crazy.

I got my brake disc today. I'm gonna be working on putting some rear brakes on it, and also my center mount exhaust so I can run a silencer if I need to. Was planning on molding the seat pan a little bit...but I'm kind of afraid to heh. We'll see.

84250r
05-28-2005, 12:42 AM
Looks great Bill. You should make this a sticky!

ATC crazy
05-28-2005, 08:55 AM
Ditto on the sticky!

Im not a 2-stroke guy, but I thought a 2-stroke motor needed a silencer in order to run properly?

Those pegs also look great Billy. It gives it a sort of, BMX look to it.

Billy Golightly
05-28-2005, 03:46 PM
The way the pipe is designed is what makes the back pressure on 2 strokes. The silencer just adds alot more of it, and in the process robs some power (And weight too). Almost all the people who run drag pipes dont run silencers, unless they are in a place that requires it. I know the dirt drag strip I was at, I dont think I seen a single quad with out frame drag pipes that had a silencer. I am gonna go ahead and make a way to run a silencer. Probably center mount, or something.

BIGCRIP28
05-28-2005, 04:00 PM
i never see silencers on drag pipes either.

Kintore
05-28-2005, 06:43 PM
Sweet videos Billy!
That thing sounds sweet. If I go to TF I really want to see that thing.

camatv1
07-23-2005, 11:11 PM
where and when is trike fest,... i rember seeing this conversion on slezzee-bay and even bid on it!! ( sorry it still went for cheap!!)

i might have a conversion to play with? if its close enough i'd definattely go!

Kintore
07-24-2005, 12:00 AM
Trikefest is over buddy. Next year its on well-TF date (http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/calendar.php?s=&c=1&week=&month=6&year=2006)

Its a blast, highly reccomend you go. :TrikesOwn :w00t:

camatv1
07-24-2005, 02:09 PM
dangit.... well how'd it run?

Kintore
07-24-2005, 03:52 PM
Check these videos. Billy had put on a alum. subframe since then. But dang that thing FLEW! :Bounce :p

Drag racing videos (http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=37492&highlight=drag)

Bad Karma
07-21-2008, 10:53 PM
Blowing the dust off this one... :D

Hey Billy, does the Laeger kit use the stock 250R spacers on the front hub? How thick is that rotor adapter? Any close-up pics of the front brake setup?

I'm trying to work out some details on the front end of my conversion, I appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks!

Billy Golightly
07-22-2008, 09:14 PM
Yeah man no problem. The adapter was part of the Laegers kit. Its made out of approx 1/8th 3/16ths aluminum. I can't measure anything unfortunately, I'm about 1500 miles away from it. I can't remember if I used 250R spacers or not, I don't believe I did. Come to think of it, I think that setup required the use of an 83-84 250R front hub and wheel because of the way it was designed. I think we made our own spacers for it. Its honestly alot easier to just press the 250R stem out of a set of 85-86 triples, and then press in the 500 one. It will fit and there wont be any play. Then you can use all the rest of the stock 250R parts with no mods. You might depending on what year CR frame you use have to weld on some steering stop tabs but that would be about it really.

Bad Karma
07-23-2008, 10:58 AM
Sounds good, Billy, thanks. Interesting about the 83-84 250R parts... I already have an 85 hub fitted to the CR500 forks, I think I'll just mock everything up, get some measurements, and see if it will work or not.

I thought about using the 250R front end, but it looks like it rakes the front end out too far. Maybe not, it sure would be easier. I also wondered if it caused a big loss in ground clearance or not, any thoughts?

Billy Golightly
07-26-2008, 10:39 PM
Somewhat. It does definitely increase the rake, the R clamps have a certain amount of degrees built in. I checked it one time but can't remember off hand. If it were me, I'd just use 250R stuff to g et it rolling and ridable for now, and then maybe experiment with another set of clamps or perhaps some modified stockers to correct the rake issue later on down the line.

3Razors
07-27-2008, 12:35 PM
Billy, are you not using the leager kit anymore? Might be cool to take those parts and reproduce them as a kit for anyone that wants to build one. Shouldn't be too hard to find a metal fab shop and work out a deal?

Bad Karma
07-27-2008, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the info, that's the plan right now. I have a 250R front end coming, I will use it to get the thing rolling and see how it goes from there.

I picked up my swingarm from Metal Tech, they did a great job on it. They also said they could build a set of triples for the conversion, but they would use steel, and I really want a billet aluminum set. No big deal right now, though, I still need a whole bunch of other stuff first.

Thanks again! :D

Hedbngr18
01-16-2018, 05:46 PM
Hey all! I know this is an old thread, but I have in my possession a complete Laeger's CR500 conversion. 1985 CR500 Frame (with the rake adjusted for better ride/stance), kit subframe, kit +7" swingarm (as compared to a stock 1985 ATC250R), stock tank (excellent shape), Maier shrouds (excellent shape), rear shock, 350X forks, stock air box with intake boot, handlebars, among a few other parts and pieces. I have pictures available through email if you are at all interested. I have decided to just place the engine into an existing 85 250R frame I have.

Also, I have 2 stock 1985 ATC250R swingarms. Both are in great shape, still with factory paint and decals. By no means are they in showroom condition, but they are 100% operational. One has the rear bearing carrier and one does not.

torker
01-16-2018, 06:50 PM
Hey all! I know this is an old thread, but I have in my possession a complete Laeger's CR500 conversion. 1985 CR500 Frame (with the rake adjusted for better ride/stance), kit subframe, kit +7" swingarm (as compared to a stock 1985 ATC250R), stock tank (excellent shape), Maier shrouds (excellent shape), rear shock, 350X forks, stock air box with intake boot, handlebars, among a few other parts and pieces. I have pictures available through email if you are at all interested. I have decided to just place the engine into an existing 85 250R frame I have.

Also, I have 2 stock 1985 ATC250R swingarms. Both are in great shape, still with factory paint and decals. By no means are they in showroom condition, but they are 100% operational. One has the rear bearing carrier and one does not.

You have rare parts my friend. This should go to the classifieds.

TORKER.