PDA

View Full Version : Post subject: Not enough fuel? You tell me.

LonesomeTriZ
05-03-2005, 01:57 PM
I have a 240 Vito’s kit on my blaster with a Bills complete exhaust, reed spacer, V-Force reed cage, Uni air filter with an outer wears air box cover, and the jetting that is recommended my Vito’s. I also have a T.O.R.S elimination kit and new but stock gearing.

Now, taking all that into consideration this is the problem I having. When I race bigger and faster trikes and quads, I hang with them though all five gears, but after that if I stay on it, it starts to break up like it is not getting enough fuel. It literally sounds as though it is starving for it. I have lost against bigger and more powerful machines that I seriously believe I could have beaten if that had not happened.

Any ideas?

hrc85250r
05-03-2005, 02:27 PM
float level might need to be adjusted, you might need a different needle too?? check any inline filters for being clogged....petcock filter inside tank might be plugged....lots of stuff...

LonesomeTriZ
05-03-2005, 02:40 PM
I figured as much. It looks as though I am going to have a long night soon.

03 ORANGE SHEE
05-03-2005, 04:50 PM
needle only does 1/4 to 3//4, the different tapers only can be felt in that range, either the main is to fat, or the bowl runs out of fuel before the tank can refill it, my alky shee runs dual fuel pumps because of this , it burns way to much fuel for a gravity feed, my shee is force feed. them 240 kits haul ass!! nothing like 40hp in 300 lbs!

SpeedBump
05-04-2005, 05:13 AM
My friend just built one of those Vito's 240s for his son. It is running a larger Carb (Keihin 35PWK) The little Blastard rips for sure. I would say it is lack of fuel too. Either upgrade to a larger carb, or mess with the jetting some more.

BTW, my Tecate stomps His 240 Blaster! :w00t: :naughty: :w00t:

LonesomeTriZ
05-04-2005, 07:56 AM
needle only does 1/4 to 3//4, the different tapers only can be felt in that range, either the main is to fat, or the bowl runs out of fuel before the tank can refill it, my alky shee runs dual fuel pumps because of this , it burns way to much fuel for a gravity feed, my shee is force feed. them 240 kits haul ass!! nothing like 40hp in 300 lbs!

That is pretty much what I was thinking as well. I am not sure how to fix that. I think the bowl is going dry too fast.

LonesomeTriZ
05-04-2005, 08:02 AM
My friend just built one of those Vito's 240s for his son. It is running a larger Carb (Keihin 35PWK) The little Blastard rips for sure. I would say it is lack of fuel too. Either upgrade to a larger carb, or mess with the jetting some more.

BTW, my Tecate stomps His 240 Blaster! :w00t: :naughty: :w00t:

Now you just hit on a good subject. Some one correct me if I am wrong. I wanted to go to a bigger carb, however I have been told that will may not correct the problem if it is indeed a matter of the bowl going dry too fast. I was told I would have the same problem with a bigger carb. Does that sound correct?

TrikerR
05-04-2005, 08:15 AM
if you have a bigger carb but keep the same jetting it would still put in the same fuel but will have a bigger bowl. can you adjust the float level...?

LonesomeTriZ
05-04-2005, 08:22 AM
if you have a bigger carb but keep the same jetting it would still put in the same fuel but will have a bigger bowl. can you adjust the float level...?

I tried that. It had no effect.
So is the bigger carb and still having the same problem a myth?

Dan Tenn
05-04-2005, 09:00 AM
I tried that. It had no effect.
So is the bigger carb and still having the same problem a myth?

If the float bowl is the same size, same problem. A bigger float bowl will theoretically hold a larger amount of fuel, which will let you run wide open longer.

I have a question? How long after top gear, and wide open does this happen?

Reason I ask is that my YT175 would fall on its face after about 5 seconds in top gear WOT. Cure was to drop the main jet size, and lower the needle to lean out. I know it may sound strange, but mine was really fat. Now it rips.

LonesomeTriZ
05-04-2005, 09:05 AM
I am able to hold it for about a minute if not longer. I would feel a drop in power after fifth, but for that moment I could still hang in there.

03 ORANGE SHEE
05-04-2005, 11:05 PM
you may have to buy one of them $90 pingel high flow fuel valves (on/off/reserve).you know all the yama's flow better on reserve , pull the hose off and watch it, you will see a slight difference in flow

LonesomeTriZ
05-04-2005, 11:10 PM
I never knew that.