PDA

View Full Version : Street legal 250r ATC? Is it possible????

250r'en +TCB
05-06-2005, 10:16 PM
DO you think its possible to make a 250r ATC road legal? They have trikes that are like motorcycles, honda and harly make them. So what would it take to make a 250r ATC road legal. I mean besides the obvious crap like headlight, tailight and directionals. All I can think of that would limit you is the WHEELBASE. Maybe the back tires have to be a certain length apart. The trike is already high enough off the ground (way higher than a street bike) So it has to be wheelbase.

So, can anyone tell me what that wheelbase has to be to be considered street-legal? I lIve in NH by the way(if that matters) :TrikesOwn :Bounce :wondering

deathman53
05-06-2005, 10:55 PM
http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/deathman53/street%20legal%20250r.jpg

its from a dirt wheels in 86

Maine_Triker
05-06-2005, 11:30 PM
The differential for the rear will always be a problem. I have a street legal big red, but we don't use it on the road because of this problem.

RideRed250R
05-07-2005, 12:13 AM
wat differential?? its a solid axle, yah your going to wear tires faster but you prolly get a good price on gas, the problem would be mixing oil every time you stop for gas.
i wish you still could legal them in cali, they stoped that in 02 for california
adam

Maine_Triker
05-07-2005, 09:58 AM
I was saying, the lack of a differential would be a problem, because every time you turn you would have to slow down and be careful, unless you want to roll over.

Oldshell4481
05-07-2005, 11:07 AM
yeah i ride the road alot, turning at a good rate of speed is a bi**h, and tire wear definatley is an issue. im planning on getting new tires this summer, and makin some new trails so ill be bale to stay off road.

Meat-BoX
05-07-2005, 11:25 AM
Dont steal my idea but screw the 3 wheels and Bust a Street Legal Quad out. I saw a guy on TV who put all that crap on a Warrior and rode from Some state all the way to LA. Showed cops checkin him out but he was good to go. His ride was Stock allso.
I wrote a English Paper back 10 Years ago about how the Quad will be the Next Mode of Road Transportation. A nice LoneStar TT Quad with like a Kawasaki V-Fprce 700 in it, with reverse, would be perfect. With Hoosiers Woo Hoo. I allready checked it out here in NY and its possible. Paperwork and weird homemade forms. But Possible. Any one have a Nice Roller they want to trade for a Yamaha 225?

Dirtcrasher
05-07-2005, 12:09 PM
I was saying, the lack of a differential would be a problem, because every time you turn you would have to slow down and be careful, unless you want to roll over.

The differential in the SX/ES doesn't have spider gears like a car so it's no different than a solid axle other than the ground clearance.

ATC crazy
05-07-2005, 07:46 PM
I've ridden for miles on the road when I had my SX. IMO....The solid axle out back dosent change the handling characteristics through the corners much at all. Now if you are going slow through a corner, I can see where it would kinda "leap" through it. It has never suprised me through the corners...just lean through them like you are supposed to do on a trike and you can feel confident

Tri-ZNate
05-07-2005, 07:56 PM
SXs are awesome on hardtop. I had mine out today.Just slow down a gear and take the corner and your good.

250r'en +TCB
05-07-2005, 10:06 PM
:TrikesOwn does anyone know the legal wheelbase though for NH or how I could find out?

Banage
05-08-2005, 10:42 AM
If you ever try to do it, make sure you get tires that DO NOT say "for off road use only" or "not for highway use"

Oldshell4481
05-08-2005, 10:48 AM
Ive noticed riding on the road with tire pressures that are not exactly the same can make it hard too, drag all over the road, it definatley makes the trike more tippy.

TimSr
05-08-2005, 12:07 PM
:TrikesOwn does anyone know the legal wheelbase though for NH or how I could find out?

This topic has been done to death, but you need to contact your state's department of motor vehicles. What is legal in somebody else's state or country is totally irrelevant to what may or may not be legal in your state.

Personally, with all the trike conversions available for street bikes, that are highway approved in most states, it seems a little nonsensical to me to try to convert an All Terrain Vehicle into a street vehicle. Why do all kinds of conversions and modifications so you can wind out a 250 two stroke and scream down the highway when you can hop on a 3 wheeled Gold Wing? Makes about as much sense as trying to convert a CR250 into a street bike.

250r'en +TCB
05-08-2005, 01:52 PM
:TrikesOwn I want to do this for 2 reasons. SO after I get out of school I can just ride to the trails for the rest of the day. ANd, I live about 2 miles from my states(NH) main trails, the railroad beds. It's a pain to have to put them on the trailer just to go 2 FREAK'IN miles! :Bounce

TimSr
05-08-2005, 02:00 PM
After you spend the money to make the necessary changes to make them "street legal" including tires, exhaust, mirrors, lights, rear differential, registration, and insurance, how well do you think they will perform for off-road use? Also many states require an added endorsement on your drivers license for trikes. In Ohio its different than a motorcycle endorsement.

Get a cheap $200 trailer.

ATC crazy
05-08-2005, 05:50 PM
Some of us dont have the $40K to buy one of these street legal trikes. There was a 1996 Goldwing trike at a motorcycle shop a month ago for $30K!!

Id rather put $1k (if that) into a 350X and take that on the road. There are ways to do it...you just have to know how.

RideRed250R
05-08-2005, 05:57 PM
i think it would be cool to have a atc as a trike defently be cool to roll up to some street bikes on.... and prolly get toasted, but i bet * could beat a car in acceration. anyways it could be a fun trike but like timsr said, it prolly would only be good for the street,
adam

1shot
05-14-2005, 12:14 AM
It's funny I saw this post.
I just got my 85' 250es registered & plated yesterday.
All this info is for AZ. only since states vary. This is the story.............

Over about 2 weeks I spent about $100 for lights, horn, mirror, wiring, switches and other misc. items and put some work into it. I got it all brought "up to code" and then when I tried to register it I was told the "Certificate of ownership" Wasn't the same as a title and wouldn't be sufficient to complete the registration process. I had to contact the original owner and get a signed notarized "Power of attorney to allow me to fill out paperwork in his behalf.
Well, I did the running and got the power of attorney and went back to the DMV.
Upon starting the process everything went well till we hit this part of the conversation:
She asked "2 wheels or 4 wheels?"
To which I replied (obviously wrongly)"3 wheels".
She then turned around and said:"those are death traps, illegal and dangerous, I can't register them" :eek:
I told her: They are not illegal there was only an import ban on then in 1987 but there has never been legislation banning them.
Well, I sat there for another 1 ½ hours while she searched all the statutes and memo's in her office and after considerable computer searching she couldn't find ANYTHING saying they couldn't be registered.
Their own list of requirements has 2 different lists of requirements for making atv's street legal.
"3 wheel ATV requirements" and "4 wheel ATV requirements".
The paper states: "to make a 3 wheel atv legal for on-highway use....."
So after an hour and a half she couldn’t find anything to support her claim and said she would "send it upstairs" to her boss (???)
I got a title, an RV plate but she wouldn’t register it for me.
I am SOOOOO agitated and angry. :mad:
She couldnt find any law forbidding it but wouldnt register it because she felt they were “Too dangerous to have on the road” :wondering
I called the head DMV office in Phoenix, AZ. And requested a supervisor and posed the question to him and explained how she acted. 3 different supervisors (different depts.) Conferenced called with me while they searched their laws and statutes for an answer, They all reached a conclusion and said that : Arizona law does not distinguish in any way the registering process for ATV’s.
2 wheels, 3 wheels, 4 wheels, 6 wheels...... it doesn’t matter. :w00t:
You have to have:
brake light, tail light, horn, mirror, muffler, brake, headlight,license light, and fuel cap
You also have to fill out a “Highway use form”
You must possess a motorcycle endorsement for 3 wheeler (quad - only a driver license)
If they give you trouble at your local office have them call “Gina @ tech support)
The local lady called Gina and she told her she HAD to register it as a motorcycle and give me a plate. Needless to say she wasn’t happy with me. :D

erectordale
05-15-2005, 09:31 PM
lol thats they way i like to show them do my research know i'm right and show them they don't know there business

ATCnut
05-15-2005, 11:26 PM
I wish I could do that in Washington. Here they require a differential and DOT tires, plus all the stuff you needed in AZ. I want one because there are some beaches in WA that are concidered highways. You can drive your car, but I cannot drive my trike.

crazy_casey
01-11-2007, 11:14 PM
LOL yeah the trailer thing would be a pain but all the modifications wouldnt make it as fun on the trails i live in the middle of no where and we have trails leading all on the side of the road in the ditch for some from to town to town i know of one thats goes from my house to a town 14 miles down the road so u might want to check into seein if u can make a trail from your house to the trails

ATC crazy
01-12-2007, 12:26 PM
Wow...talk about bringing this thread back from the dead...

Anyways:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/ATC-Crazy/streetlegal250r.jpg

http://streetlegalatv.com/welcom2.jpg
http://streetlegalatv.com/welcom1.jpg

New2ATC
01-12-2007, 12:33 PM
I wonder if I could register my LT125 for on road use if I did all the needed mods.. Would be cool to ride to work,that and it would make the trips to the store for milk so much better..

joethekid03
10-06-2011, 05:52 PM
yea i have a 1984 honda 250r and im putting a 2004 ninja 650 motor in it...can i make it street legal.im in NY and ik about all the blinbkers and stuff but im gonna get road tires and extend the rear a lot so it wont tip as much.i want to use it for road only.im about to get my permit and this is alot cheaper on gas and a lot more fun then a car or truck and its just plain out way cheaper to do it this way.so could i?

300rman
10-07-2011, 05:18 PM
Makes about as much sense as trying to convert a CR250 into a street bike.

A CR250 would be useless on the HWY, but for around town, it would be an absolute riot. Fast, light, maneuverable....but I would do a CR500 for the road.....whomp on them streetbikes all over the in-town roads.

fabiodriven
10-07-2011, 08:55 PM
A CR250 would be useless on the HWY, but for around town, it would be an absolute riot. Fast, light, maneuverable....but I would do a CR500 for the road.....whomp on them streetbikes all over the in-town roads.

They're not all that uncommon around here. jeffatc250r on the boards here has one as well as a close friend of mine about 20 minutes away from here. They do really well on the road. Somebody posted a video not long ago of a CR 500 on a road race track whooping up on the street bikes. He was eating them alive until they got to the long straight. Anybody know where that vid is?

Aka_am
10-28-2011, 06:45 AM
in ohio, you can get a body of change affadvit. it states that youve done the nessary items to make your bike street legal. after they change your title from offroad to on.