PDA

View Full Version : Trikefest Newbie, could use some help

TRI Z Racer
05-15-2005, 10:51 PM
hey all, im seriously seriously considering the drive to trikefest this year. I am currently in Potsdam NY, bout 2.5 hours north and east of syracuse. what do i need to know about everything. Tenting, Trike theft\ Precautions, Food, Gas, Rough Cost.

Currently i think there are 2 of us hoping to go, I am planning on bringing clothes, my ford exploder and a snowmobile trailer w/ 2 trike on it mine and my friends. a small grill and a cooler for food and a cooler for drinks. Both of us are college students, take that into consideration. Is it like after the sun goes down people go thier own way or is still a group thing. is there like one fire that everyone hangs out at?

I have too many questions, as far as eating dust and stiinking like 2 stroke all weekend, i can handle that, i just want to be prepared.

If anyne can give a quick rundown that would be great!!!

Thanks All

Tyler

Tri-ZNate
05-16-2005, 06:23 AM
Im a newbie too so I can probably only help on one subject. I know some nights there will be drag races, so everyone will probably be there for most of the night.

Howdy
05-16-2005, 09:46 AM
hey all, im seriously seriously considering the drive to trikefest this year. I am currently in Potsdam NY, bout 2.5 hours north and east of syracuse. what do i need to know about everything. Tenting, Trike theft\ Precautions, Food, Gas, Rough Cost.

Currently i think there are 2 of us hoping to go, I am planning on bringing clothes, my ford exploder and a snowmobile trailer w/ 2 trike on it mine and my friends. a small grill and a cooler for food and a cooler for drinks. Both of us are college students, take that into consideration. Is it like after the sun goes down people go thier own way or is still a group thing. is there like one fire that everyone hangs out at?

I have too many questions, as far as eating dust and stiinking like 2 stroke all weekend, i can handle that, i just want to be prepared.

Thanks All

Tyler

Tent camping is fine. Actually quite a few people camp in tents. You could do a waterpumper86 also. He has actually camped out on the concrete in the pavilion, he has also camped out under the stars on his trailer. Last year Hagen camped out on a air mattress under the stars. I have even camped in my truck there ( 2 times ). So were / how you camp is basically left to your imagination. You can bet if you come and have a unique style of camping we WILL remember it. lol

Food, you will need to bring some. John Swinehart ( with help from others ) is planning on doing some cooking also. I will let him or one of the others involved chime in with what the have planned there. When he starts cooking, watch out! That guy really knows how to cook.

Theft: There really hasn't been a big problem with thefts ( to my knowledge ). The only one I know of from 2-3 years ago was when some lady rode up to the bathrooms and left the quad there with the key in it. I was told that they did find it the next day though. If you would feel more secure if they are locked up feel free to do so. I lock mine up 99% of the time, I only do it because I have had 2 machines stolen ( they broke into our shop ).

After the sun goes down: Due to noise complaints from the town of Laurel, Haspin Acres don't allow riding on the trails, track, ect at night. Not only that, but it's VERY easy to get lost in the trails at night ( Hagen got lost 2 years ago when they did allow night riding, he made it back safely a few hours later ). Being as we are such a well behaved group we are normally allowed to ride from camp site to camp site. Though they really frown on running loud machines at night.
In the past we all sorta congregate at different camp fires. Not like we are a divided group or anything, there are just so many people there. Each year brings new behaviors, you never really know what all is going to happen ( lol ). A lot of us try to visit as many camps as possible. But some times it just isn't possible ( too many things happening ). I have seen a camp fire with 2-3 people there and then come back by later and there is 25 people there. It's totally unpredictable. The only camp I know that is predictable for having a lot of people around is Camp Swineharts. But I think he is just baiting us with the GREAT food!!! The sad part is: IT WORKS!!! lmao j/k John! If you come feel free to make yourself at home. If you start a camp fire and get some good topic going your sure to gain some visitors.
I do plan on having a camp fire close to the Pavillion ( it's a some what centralized location ).

Dust: Unless it rains the whole time there will be dust. I have seen it rain over a inch on Friday night / Sat morning. We started the morning dealing with lots of mud, but about 4 hours later we were dealing with some dust.

Cost: This is hard to estimate. Haspin normally charges $15 per day ( we are suppost to be getting a discount for TF people ). The discount was $2 a day 2 years ago. I haven't got a firm amount for this year yet. You will need gas / oil for your machine (s). The past 2 years I used about 20-25 gallons ( not counting my truck ). But I provide machines for 7-10 people. The good thing is, they have a gas station about 2 1/2 miles away. To figure other cost you will need to factor in what and how much your planning drinking ( pop, beer, water, ect ), eating, snacking on,ect.

I hope I covered all your questions. If not just ask away, we will try to answer them the best we can.
Howdy

TRI Z Racer
05-16-2005, 11:22 AM
thanks howdy, i appreciate it, i had also sent you a PM, but just disregard this, i thought about halfway through this may give others in my situtaion a little help. sounds about how i expected it.... FUN.

If any other questions pop into my head over the next few days ill be sure to ask them, thankyou again howdy

Tyler

Tri-ZNate
05-16-2005, 07:32 PM
John Swinehart ( with help from others ) is planning on doing some cooking.

Howdy

Will we be buying his cooking?

jeswinehart
05-16-2005, 07:49 PM
but you can help with dishs - lmao !

trikerider2oo7
05-16-2005, 07:56 PM
tf is the best time of the year...last year i went and had a blast. i cant go this year though. have fun!

Lots_Of_Nothing
05-16-2005, 08:06 PM

Thanks All

Tyler

Potsdam eh? Thats about 45 minutes from me, Me and a group are still debating on going or not, I know my truck is not up for it this year, Still have to swap the windsheild out, new leafpacks, etc. All the parts are up to the neighbors on his spare race truck, Just seem to never get it done.

Thats basically the only hold up for us, My buddy had his dodge deisel with a flatbed, but that thing is one hell of a pig for that long of a trip.

If we can still come up with a way to make it down, and you decide you wanna go, Maybe we can follow each other down, It sure would make the trip easier (the whole getting lost in the middle of nowhere part).

Tri-ZNate
05-16-2005, 08:11 PM
but you can help with dishs - lmao !

lol I just may if the food is that good.

MIK6
05-16-2005, 09:40 PM
More NY guys!!!!
I think NY had the highest # of TF attendance. I takes us 11 hours from Oswego. If you attend this year you WILL be back next, that is the most important thing about TF.

MIK6 / Mike

TRI Z Racer
05-17-2005, 12:25 AM
there are 2 of us from potsdam and one from goveneur coming in my vehicle. yeah i figured it was an 12-13 hour ride. I think were leaving on weds night at like 9pm to get there thursday morning. when are you guys heading out?

Tri-ZNate
05-17-2005, 06:14 AM
ill probably be heading out tuesday at 4 p.m. so I can get a jump start on the trails.

Lots_Of_Nothing
05-17-2005, 10:54 PM
there are 2 of us from potsdam and one from goveneur coming in my vehicle. yeah i figured it was an 12-13 hour ride. I think were leaving on weds night at like 9pm to get there thursday morning. when are you guys heading out?

Is there anything your gonna need me to bring?, If not all I need is the 350, a gascan, some food + drink, clothes, a few tools, and a couple padlocks (lock onto the brake disc)... Oh, and of course i'll be bringing the camera.

Just trying to get an idea of what I have to get together.