PDA

View Full Version : Opinions of this 250SX?

Chicho
05-18-2005, 01:24 AM
Hey everyone, I'm new here and apologize if this is in the wrong forum.

I have an '87 250SX which is basically in need of a total overhaul. It had been left outside in upstate NY for nearly 5 years exposed to the elements. My brother got it from me years ago because I "owed him one." He drove it until it ran like crap and then just left it out back in the woods. I really don't have the time or desire (or skill) to rebuild and refurb this thing. But when I was over there the other day I remembered how much I used to love tearing around on that thing. So, I went over to ebay to check out what I could find...

Ebay - '85 250SX (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6724&item=4550857691&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW)

I was wondering what you guys thought this thing would be worth - a fair price. I have an e-mail out to the seller asking for more details and will post them if anyone is interested or needs extra info.

I really don't know much about the value of these machines, but this one looks pretty good. I have already set my own preliminary cap and bid accordingly, but the more I look, the more I want. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Trackburger
05-18-2005, 06:16 AM
Looks like its in really good shape, do you plan on keeping the one you already have in the back woods? You could use it for parts, or maybe try to sell it to offset the price on this one a little. Good luck!!!

lonestar
05-18-2005, 03:42 PM
I think you and me might have a bid war!!!!!That trike is in real good shape.

Chicho
05-18-2005, 05:07 PM
**edited*** I knew I shouldn't have mentioned it so early on in the auction... ;)

**dont type around word filters**

Huffa
05-19-2005, 01:38 PM
A piece like that could easily go up into the 2000 range becuase of how nice it is! Just all depends how bad someone wants it.

It's not like every month on ebay you see ones like that and surely the shape it's in you can add at least a good 3-500.

I have seem simular ones in quite nice shape but that one is by far the best so far in my book.

I live 30 minutes from it also and have to pick up a Yamaha 225 frame in NY so I could possibly deliver it for a small fee if your not too far off the beaten path.

An hour east of Oneonta is where the frame is.

I am VERY :Bounce interested in how much he wants for that 250 SX. If it sat for 5 years there could be all kinds of "Hidden" things wrong with it. That's a crying :cry: shame people do that. They ruin them just by not putting them inside!

I love to take trashed :cry: ones and slowly rebuild them - give them their life back! PLEASE, please let me know.

If you give me a great deal then I will deliver trike absolutly FREE of charge! I can even check it out for you but feel in that shape there isn't a whole lot to check. Only thing I see is the front tire seems below 50% tread and tha's about it.

Take a few pictures or wait, a whole bunch of the 250SX and email them to me at huffa@ptd.net I may be interested even if you don't get the one down here.

Check to see if the engine at least truns free.

Give me all the details and what is missing on it.

THANKS ...........APPRCIATE IT!

-Huffa

PS ...........Here is one about an hour EAST of Scraton PA

May 25th, 2005
Category: ATV's

'85 HONDA 250SX, looks & runs exc., $1000. +(GREELEY) ###-###-####

It has the number blocked because you must buy the paper to see it. The paper sells down my way.

Chicho
05-19-2005, 06:37 PM
Huffa -

Thanks for the offer and the background info. Meat-Box from this forum has also expressed interest and he did contact me first. I have sent him pics already, so I would have to give him the first crack unless he wants to let it pass. I will, however, forward you some pics and the same info I forwarded to him. The motor runs, it actually doesn't sound that bad either. I unclogged the air filter (and removed the debris from what I'm guessing was mice) and it kicked over after about a minute. I was shocked. It usually kicks over after two or three tries now.

Well, I'll forward you the pics and what I know about this trike - I haven't heard back yet, but you may have to fight off Meat-Box for it. I have to go out for a while now, but later tonight I'll send it all out.

Oh, the trike is right in between Newburgh, NY and West Point.

Thanks again for the info and the offer, I'll give more details in the e-mail.

/edit: I just sent the email out now

bigredhead
05-20-2005, 04:15 PM
wow.. that thing is in AWSOME shape.

only thing i see as a potential minor problem.. the drive axle boot is slightly out of place... but that' about it.

Chicho
05-20-2005, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the opinions everyone. As of tomorrow at 2PM it is mine - the next weekend it's gonna be on the trails in upstate NY! Seller decided to end the auction early.

Thanks again for the opinions and info. They were/are appreciated.

mad_max
05-20-2005, 09:01 PM
Man, for $1200 I'd say you got a helluva deal!

Huffa
05-20-2005, 10:25 PM
A great deal!!

Bet you won't sleep much tonight!

It will be garaged I hope? ...........and electric blanket in the winter. :D

Tri-ZNate
05-20-2005, 10:36 PM
I got a '85 SX for $1200 but it didnt look near as nice. That thing is shiny.

You may need to bring that to TrikeFest :naughty:

Chicho
05-21-2005, 01:08 AM
Just to be clear I ended up paying more than $1200 to end the auction early. Total came to $1500, but I am still happy with that. Ebay shows $1200 since that was my highest bid and the reserve when he ended the auction.

Huffa is going to take my old 250sx off my hands in the coming weeks since Meat-Box really hadn't gotten back to me... can't wait to see how he turns that thing around. My apologies to Meat-Box if I sold it out from under him - I just never heard anything back after leaving the ball in his court and Huffa seemed really enthusiastic about rebuilding.

It'll be garaged for sure, Huffa... no more critters and snowstorms for this one.

Trikefest sounds cool. I've been reading around the forum a bit and it would be cool to put some faces to the screennames and swipe some know-how off of some of you guys.

Thanks again for the info, opinions, and congrats. It was high-time for a new toy...