PDA

View Full Version : MX race

smokinwrench
05-21-2005, 02:28 AM
I raced my first mx race this evening, it was just races to fill the time gaps at a monster truck show. The track was built for bikes so it was very tough. Lots of guys showed up looked at the track and didn't race because it was so nasty. Sponser was dang mad because it was supposed to be a quad friendly track.

I had the smallest, oldest quad with the oldest rider. I was in the lead on the slop heat for 2 of the 4 laps. YFZ finally got me when I killed it on a tight corner.

Heat race was terrible I got a bad start and then every time I passed someone I would run into a stalled quad or some guy that was slow in the corners. I finished 4th.

Main was dang tough. I was 4th after the hole shot. Ran there for about 3 laps. Then passed a predator and we battled for quit a bit. Then with about 1 lap to go we both passed another YFZ. Then the predator passed me 1/2 lap left. He hit a long double with a short single right after. He cased it and crashed bad (quad straight, rider left, and seat went right) So I got 2nd.

The guy that won everything was on a YFZ and he races all the time. There was 7 quads, my 400ex, 2 yfz's, 2 predators, Z400, and raptor. All machines were piped.

smokinwrench
05-21-2005, 02:31 AM
Couple more pictures. I hope to get some pictures emailed to me that showed me way up in the air, friend of ours must have a better camera or faster.

TimSr
05-21-2005, 08:03 AM
MX is like crack. Ill bet you're searching right now for other races in your area! Youll also have a whole new outlook on those stupid "Will a ? beat a ?" debates. You have all my respect for being a participant instead of an armchair racer. I dont need to say that I hope you had fun, because I know you did. Great post!

chris200x
05-21-2005, 08:32 AM
LOL, were in the heck is that guy going in the last pic you posted? Looks like you had fun.

smokinwrench
05-21-2005, 09:52 AM
LOL, were in the heck is that guy going in the last pic you posted? Looks like you had fun.

I'm not sure, that was the slop heat when I was outrunning the YFZ. I think he hit a jump to hard and didn't make a turn, because right behind him he should have made a sharp 180 degree turn.

smokinwrench
05-21-2005, 09:59 AM
MX is like crack. Ill bet you're searching right now for other races in your area! Youll also have a whole new outlook on those stupid "Will a ? beat a ?" debates. You have all my respect for being a participant instead of an armchair racer. I dont need to say that I hope you had fun, because I know you did. Great post!

I was planning on racing tonight also, but I just can't do it. I have to get rested back up for a big duning weekend.

I raced in a sport ute class last fall on a 500 scrambler but it wasn't even close to this.

I plan on doing a harescramble soon, I'm thinking that is more my style of racing.

okieRrider
05-21-2005, 10:01 AM
Sweet man the pics look great and it looks like you had a blast

smokinwrench
05-21-2005, 06:31 PM
Sweet man the pics look great and it looks like you had a blast

Oh I did, get ya a 400ex and I'll be waiting for ya at the Beaver Dunes Races.

Micah's wife got a couple of sweet pictures of me way up in the air, I hope she can figure out how to email them soon. Micah realizes now why Raptors are just good fun factor dune machines, he had the front wheels in the air all night long, and when they weren't in the air it was nose diving on the jumps. We pumped his rear tires up to 11 psi and that helped a bunch. He finished 4th in the main and completed all of the heats, I know for a fact he stopped in the Polaris shop today and eyeballed a new Predator.

Derrick Adams
05-22-2005, 08:01 AM
Just wanted to tell you congratulations. Awesome finish for your first race! Seems like I finished 10th out of 20 in my first MX race. That was about 15 years ago. I do remember feeling like I wanted to up-chuck afterwards. :rolleyes:

CHAINSAW
05-22-2005, 10:51 AM
Congrats on doing a good job Josh!! Sounds like you had some fun.

Tri-ZNate
05-22-2005, 11:09 AM
Nice job. I love the pic of the quad that ran into the fence (second post, last pic)

250r'en +TCB
05-22-2005, 03:28 PM
sweet!!! Nice for your first time. I want to get into quad racing........badly

SpeedBump
05-23-2005, 09:44 PM
Congrats.....glad you had fun. Like Tim said....this vs that....a good rider on an average quad can give people fits all nite long. Good job.

I was wondering the same thing about the "fence racer"! :p

AirManCam
06-08-2005, 10:29 PM
Nice job Josh! If you don't want to get so fatigued, try some long travel a-arms with some elkas, I know its expensive, but you wont be half as tired after each race.