PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here ever write to their favorite magazine?

Wickedfinger
02-02-2003, 03:04 AM
... Here's a copy of a recent letter I wrote, sent to Dirt Wheels ... anyone think they'll respond?.

Subj: letters/readers rides.....
Date: 1/16/2003 11:54:34 PM Eastern Standard Time
To: dwletters@hitorque.com
File: Trx250X.ZIP (1016258 bytes) DL Time (49333 bps): < 6 minutes

Hey team, I've been an ATV rider and wrencher for over 20 years as well as an avid reader and subscriber of Dirtwheels since the early days, but this is the first time I've ever written to you. I only do so to thank you for all of the hard work and dedication that you have put into making your publication the very best of its kind about the sport and hobby I ( and you) love so much. Dirtwheels has always been an indispensible source of information in helping me complete restorations or projects and a much cherished form of entertainment. Every time the end of the month rolls around, I wait by the mailbox for my next issue to come in and then when it does, I stop everything to read it cover to cover. Not that I would change anything about the magazine at all, I do have one suggestion for you - I think you should take all of the information and knowledge that the staff there has, compile it into one large coffee table reference tome, and call it "The History and Encyclopedia of the ATV". I was thinking something like the number of great Muscle car related books you find out there.You could write about the history of the ATV - starting with the first of Professor Honda's US90's and end up with the latest Hi-tech Quads from Canondale and others. You could cover all of the racing scene from the first balloon tired beach races to the current million dollor battles waged by the top manufacturers. What I would like to see the most would be an ATV encyclopedia covering every model, from every manufacturer ever made with pictures, specifications (including horsepower, suspension travel etc.) and stats like total units sold , The possibilities are endless with this and I think it would sell quite well. Well thats my little wish and I hope someday it comes true but untill then (and even after) I'll keep an eye on the mailbox for my next issue of the greatest Magazine in the world - Dirtwheels.

Jonathan "Tejas" Dellaira, Washingtons Crossing Pa. 19067

skippy
02-02-2003, 11:24 AM
i know the "creator" of this site did a few times, and he was published! long live wheelio!

Howdy
02-02-2003, 11:32 AM
I think ThreeWheelio was in there like 6 times. He is the Dirt Wheels King!!
Howdy

Wickedfinger
02-03-2003, 06:51 PM
... I remember seeing Wheelio in there, and talked to him about it a couple of times but I didn't think he e-mailed them.

ATC crazy
02-03-2003, 07:08 PM
I have sent letters to Dirtwheels about 6 different times and heard nothing from them. They were similar to what Wickedfinger was saying, about improvements. I thought it would be cool for them to reprint their old shootouts of the 3wheelers and the trx250r (like ATV Action did w/ the trx). Wickedfinger--your letter might be too long for them and they will either shorten it to the basics or toss it out. Great idea by the way...I would certianly buy one. ;) Now that you mention it, I think I will send a letter to them. I was wondering if you want me to mention something about your idea, because the more responses they get about it, then the more likely they are to do it. Only w/ your permission so I dont "steal" it. :rolleyes:

Jonathan
02-04-2003, 01:19 AM
I think we should all send similar letters with the same suggestion to all teh ATV magazines. I would definately buy a book like that, pics, specs, and other info on every production ATV ever made including Tigers, Cagivas, everything.

Dynofox
02-04-2003, 01:36 AM
I've writted to dirtwheels before and had my letter printed, i've also had some pictures of my old 200x in there. This was back in either 96 or 97.

fishnmagician
02-05-2003, 03:46 AM
Here a few months ago after reading a particulary trike-biased issue, I sent this bitchy email to ATV Action Magazine.

------------
What is up with you guys and good old three wheelers? This month's Ragged Edge shows describes unhealthy relationships with atv's and shows nothing but crappy trikes, and I especially disliked the Tri-Z that apparently Elton John used to own, I'll attach a pic that should explain my reasoning. Why can't you show a tricked out trike every once in a while? Any why don't you tell Sarge McCoy to use that jar head of his for something besides holding his ears apart! He had a reader with a legitimate question about turning a quad into a trike, and instead of answering the reader, he berates him publicly and calls it a "suicide mission". I have owned both 3 and 4 wheeled ATV's and for most applications, I prefer trikes! Sure, they are a bit more unstable, but guess what? So are dirt bikes! Yes, you actually have to shift your weight around and "ride" a three wheeler, instead of "driving" it, but that is half the fun! The power to weight ratio is better, the handling is better, you can wheelie and see where your going, and there's a nice selection of two-stroke power-houses to choose from! There are quite a few of us that enjoy reviving trikes from the edge of extinction. There's not a better feeling than, after spending months of spare time, and a lot of your hard earned cash restoring a trike from junkyard condition, blowing past the guy on the $6000 Raptor that looked at you like you were riding a lawn mower. So back off Sarge, it's the reader's choice, not yours.

Sincerely,

Bill Netz
Roseburg, OR

P.S. - Attached is a pic of my '86 Tri-Z. It's been bored .040 over, ported and polished, shaved head, has a DG pipe & silencer, UNI filter, Boyesen reeds, and will smoke any stock new quad out there! :)

http://home.internetcds.com/~bnetz/myz.jpg
------------------------------------------------------------

And here is what they ended up putting in the magazine:
---------------
http://home.internetcds.com/~bnetz/zmag2.jpg

------------

Hmmm, my trike is famous, pretty cool, except for the liberal "editing job" on that last line there. Almost makes me feel bad for dogging em! :)

Jeroboam7
02-05-2003, 11:38 AM
The fish lives!!! Where have you been fishy?

ATC crazy
02-05-2003, 02:51 PM
I agree with you fishmagician. ATV action has not been my favorite mag, so I stick to Dirtwheels

fishnmagician
02-06-2003, 04:02 AM
Hey Gerbil! Yeah, I haven't been around much, been going through some hard times here lately. Just when you thing there's light at the end of the tunnel, you figure out it's a train coming at you! :)

Jeroboam7
02-06-2003, 04:06 AM
Fish,
Sorry to hear that, I hope things are getting better and you can see the sun start to rise again. Hope to see you around a little more often!

GERBIL