PDA

View Full Version : What's this world coming to?

Kook
05-25-2005, 11:40 AM
All I want is a used go cart for my boys to play on, putt around the yard, get used to driving things. These stupid things used to be a dime-a-dozen when I was a kid. Your Dad would call a guy he knew that had older sons, buy their old go cart for 50 bucks, then when you outgrew it, he passed it on to someone else! They want $500.00 for the freakin' things now. Heck, even if I could find a decent set of plans I could build one myself, but they all are these fancy friggin' things with roll bars and all and to buy the parts to put it together would cost you an arm and a leg. Why can't anything be easy anymore? Geesh.

bigredhead
05-25-2005, 12:15 PM
inflation is a great thing eh !

I'm eyeballing the TRX 200 tranny i have in my garage ( cost me 60 $ ) if i can find a good buggy frame !!

250RNUT
05-25-2005, 01:06 PM
And also the ones 25 years ago were built 10 times as strong as todays korean garbage.

250r'en +TCB
05-25-2005, 03:06 PM
Sucks........ I had a 5hp when I was younger. Just go out, find a 5hp engine and build a frame out of piping!!!!!

rustbucket
05-25-2005, 04:21 PM
Just give them a riding lawn mower and tell them to drive in squares. kill two birds with one stone mow the lawn and teach them to drive. Or go to your local junk day you should be able to get a rototiller with a horizontal shaft for nearly nothing. Then with a little time you can make a go cart

MTS
05-25-2005, 06:34 PM
just use some 1x1 square tubing, a 5 horse brigs from a lawn mower shop, and tires from princess auto, heck i made mine in gr.6 for under 200 bucks and it did 25mph haha

TrikerR
05-25-2005, 07:33 PM
ive got the plans your looking for if you would like me to scan them for you.

http://www.edge.au.com/buggies_raven.htm

BIGCRIP28
05-25-2005, 07:53 PM
buy a old frame and put a 9 hp on it and you can smoke the tires on concrete

Kook
05-26-2005, 11:21 AM
That would be excellent TrikerR, I'll PM my email address!

Big 28 and others, that's the problem, can't find an old frame. As to the cut some tube and weld it, yea, I can do that and at wholesale or better price, but I don't have the time to lay it out the way I want and I'm not just going to make a box with an engine on it.

9 hp might be a little strong for a 6 year-old...

Meat-BoX
05-26-2005, 12:46 PM
Instead of buying some lame cart for you kids, go all out and Get a Honda Pilot, or Odessy. Then just tell your kids that you need to test run it before everytime they ride it for their saftey. Tell your wife that your driving it all the time, to make sure the kids are safe, plus if there is only an hour of daylight left tell your kids to be home by dark with it. So you can test the lights for night riding. :w00t:

corndawg
05-26-2005, 10:31 PM
i know how it is to not be able to find any kind of frame for any decent money, my grandpa runs a lawnmower repair shop and he gave me a new 20 horse v twin briggs because i told him i wanted to build a go cart with somthing like that but now i cant find any kind of frame for under $100, and the cheapest ive found had half the steering missing and just the one wheel drive and werent long enough to fit a person taller than about 4'5" :(

hondatrikesrule22
05-26-2005, 10:46 PM
I guess I got lucky. I got a 2 seater with a roll-bar and a 5 horse briggs for $100. All it needed was a spark plug. :cool:

MTS
05-26-2005, 10:52 PM
http://img93.echo.cx/img93/4990/gokart2uh.png thats what mine looked like that i made, if you want i can get the mesurements, it was like 30$ worth of 1x1 tubing and would fit a 6 year old nicely, had a 5 horse brigs with a centrifical clutch run to a jackshaft then down to the axel....workd pretty good for me!

3 weelin geezer
05-27-2005, 11:55 AM
here's what I came up with using pieces of an old abandoned bike. Funny how photoshop 5.0 le doesn't seem to have a round circle tool. I guess thats what limited edition means.

renotrikeguy
05-29-2005, 09:40 AM
I have plans for the simple yard kart from years back. I can zip all them into one file and email im you want them.

Pistonhead
05-29-2005, 09:31 PM
Reno do you think you could send those kart plans to heavy_chevy_8@hotmail.com please?

bassman
05-29-2005, 09:38 PM
Wow, I had no idea they are in such demand.....You guys might hate me for this, but just 1 month ago, my mom amde me get rid of all the stuff behind our garage so I could keep my 200x. One of the things back there was a gokart. It was mostly complete, minus the pedals, and rear tires. I took the motor off (2 stroke 5 horse snowblower motor), and gave away the frame ot a guy at my dad's work. Then I gave the engine(it was running too) to my buddy, and he is gonna put that in his pcoket bike. If I would have known, I would have just given to one of you guys, if you would have paid shipping. I was home built, and I used heavy duty everything. My brother-in-law welded everything, and setup the steering. I pulled it around the yard with my 200x with my brother in it one day, to see if it could handle 30+ mph, and she took it like a champ. It wasn't boxy, either.

Wow......

Kook
05-31-2005, 11:10 AM
Reno, that would be great! Thanks for the offer. jim-iso@echarms.net