PDA

View Full Version : What chainsaw brand and why...

8bikesandcounting
02-02-2003, 07:18 PM
I own two poulan chainsaws and am fed up with them. I'd like to purchase a new professional one and would like some input on them. I'm thinking Stihl is the best but I don't know how much I would like to spend. Something in the 4.5hp range.

4cylinders
02-02-2003, 07:20 PM
stihl #1!!!!!!! ms290, best saw for your buck!!!!!

ATC crazy
02-02-2003, 08:20 PM
sthil chainsaws are the best, hands down. All the pros use them

whiteman350x
02-02-2003, 08:53 PM
I have 3 Stihl saws my dad has 2 more. Could not ask for better. 2 of them were commercial saws that were sold as worn out by loggers, that was about 1980-81. We still cut out firewood with those 2 now. Just got a Husky also. Looks good so far.

HemiChallenger71
02-02-2003, 09:36 PM
Well, Stihl are the best saws, but I've never owned one, I have used a few they are nice. We own Homelite's. A Weed whip and chain saw. We put gas in them and thats about it. Maybe a plug if i feel like it every couple years. We've had our weed whip for 5 years, and the saw 15. The whip is shot because we ran marine oil in it and it trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro it up, and it lost compression. It still runs, but no power. For $100.00 I'll buy a new one and never have to replace it again as long as I use the proper oil.

G-MAN-1
02-02-2003, 10:43 PM
STIHL are the best.......why question it.............. :shock:

86waterpumper
02-03-2003, 03:40 AM
I bought a husqvuarna w/ 20" bar not long ago, and it is the best saw I've ever owned or used. They are not cheap on the frontend but I am not easy on a saw, and it just takes it and begs for more. Motor has serious power and spins up fast. It takes alot and I mean alot to bog it down. I don't regret paying the money for it one bit...

tdup
02-04-2003, 02:25 AM
I own a stihl 036 pro it is about the size you are looking for. I have over 100hrs on mine and still kicking butt. It is about 2 years old now. You cant go wrong with a stihl or a husky. I have ran both and both are great. There does seem to be more stihl dealers around this area for parts if ever needed. That was the deciding factor for me. P.S. only run stihl, husky or echo oil in you saws.

FullBore
02-04-2003, 06:16 PM
Everyone seems to have got the right Idea,
Sthil are the best with Husky coming second.
tdup has got the right idea, only use Sthil oil at 45-1 and you'll have no trouble aslong is it is serviced at least every year by a Sthil dealer. I know, The company I work for is a Sthil Dealer!

Nat

350xRock
02-05-2003, 01:01 AM
I have owned Stihl Farm Bosses for years and really like them. Don't laugh,but I bought a Poulan Wild thing last year. I needed a lighter trim saw. When you are up a big tree trimming branches you need a light saw that runs good. And occasionally they get dropped.Better to ruin a cheap saw than an expensive one. I put quite a few hours on it this year and so far so good. For the money I paid I don't expect it to be a long term investment like the Stihls. I was also told by a chainsaw mechanic that the Huskys made in Sweden(he said made overseas and I am guessing that is Sweden) are much better than the ones assembled in the U>S>A>. This saddens me. But if this mechanic is correct,get the imported ones. My friends that have old Huskies swear by them. Just don't get a McCollough. I have never known anyone,including myself, that could keep one running. Total Junk.
350xRock