PDA

View Full Version : Cryogenics

YAMAHA_Jim
06-04-2005, 07:33 AM
I need to do this to my ATV motors,frames and parts to get more life out of them.

Americans guzzle 65 billion gallons of fuel a year and lately we have been paying a pretty penny at the pump. NewsChannel 4 has done reports in the past on how to get the most out of your gas. Now we introduce you to a new way to save on those gasoline dollars.

There is a man who fills up his tank once every two months. One tank of gas, literally, lasts him two months. He is freezing the price of gas by freezing something else.

People complain about the price of gas and we are all spending dearly to stay on the road these days. The money we spend on gas seems to burn up faster than the fuel.

While there may be little rhyme or reason to why the prices are on a perpetual roller-coaster, there is one man who has found a way to freeze them in their tracks, literally.

David Hutchison is a Cryogenics expert. He built this Cryo-Process himself. He runs a business out of his garage where he cryogenically tempers all kinds of metals. He submerges them in a frozen tank of nitrogen vapor that is 300 degrees below zero.

David says, “During that time, at minus 300 degrees, the molecules slow down. Then they reorganize themselves. That's when the actual chemical change happens.”

Hutchison cryogenically tempers machine parts, tools, golf clubs and even razors. He says it makes them last three to five times longer.

A few years ago he began an experiment on his hybrid Honda, freezing the engine components. The results were a fuel-efficiency dream.

David Hutchison says, “You should expect a “Cryo'd” engine to last anywhere from 600,000 to 1 million miles without wearing out.”

A hybrid Honda typically gets really great gas mileage anyway, around 50 miles to the gallon, but David Hutchison's cryogenically tempered engine has been known to get close to 120 miles a gallon.

“It's just a very efficient vehicle.” Hutchison says,

Racers have picked up on David's trick of cryogenically freezing car parts. It is now widely accepted among NASCAR and Indy-car racers.

Hutchison has no plans of taking his Honda to the track. His prize is in his pocketbook.

David says, “I thought about selling it, but gas prices keep going up. So, I thought, I'm not going to sell it.”

Hutchison tells us cryogenically tempering car parts has more benefits than just fuel efficiency. He freezes all of the brake rotors at a car dealership near his home in Missouri. It makes them last three to five times longer.

chris200x
06-04-2005, 07:41 AM
Hmm,,, kinda hard to believe. I'm skeptical but who knows this guy may be onto something here.

Tri-ZNate
06-04-2005, 09:46 AM
If thats true that is pretty neat

BIGCRIP28
06-04-2005, 02:20 PM
not really relevant here but, benelli cryo treats the barrels on the super black eagle 2 shotguns.

CHAINSAW
06-04-2005, 04:10 PM
Big ATV Drag racers allready do that to internal transmission parts for strength. If you just machine out a set of billet gears, they wont last much longer then a stock OEM set on a 100-200 HP machine, when it came from the factory with 38-42 HP. But if you cryo your gears, they are almost indestructable, and can withstand the big HP beasts people are making these days.

So I dont know about the fuel economy part of it.. but what he says about strength is completely true.

3 weelin geezer
06-04-2005, 07:53 PM
only if ya remember to change your oil regularly.

lghtspeed
06-05-2005, 11:18 AM
I personally have cryoed gears in my 250r (265cc powervalved) motor, im cranking 71-73 hp, no problems yet, but as for this dave hutchison saying he's the pioneer of cryo'ing ? What about a company called 300 below in decatur Il. THey also claim to be the pioneers? 300 below is where i had my motor parts done.

1984kxtTECATE
06-05-2005, 02:27 PM
Anybody know how much money cryoing costs. I think I am gonna have to try it out.

lghtspeed
06-07-2005, 08:56 PM
Cryogenically treating parts @ 300 below costs a minimal of 75.00 ($3.00 a lb) so at 75.00 you can have upto 25 pounds done for that much. I sent in a bunch of stuff like my pocket knife, some endmills for machining and the cylinder.