PDA

View Full Version : RT 180

Yamaha_Rules69
02-05-2003, 12:50 AM
I have a yamaha RT 180 dirtbike, and the engine really does resemble the quads. Does anyone know of a suspension kit that you can put on a non- motocross bike, like my RT, to make it better? I just cant handle jumping it. The shocks kinda suck. thanx.

TimSr
02-05-2003, 02:45 AM
The RT180 was meant to be a budget dirt bike, and was built based on late 70's /early 1980's YZ technology. There is no practical way to upgrade it to modern MX susepnsion. If suspension is a real issue on this, youd be far better off to sell it, and buy an inexpensive mid 80's or newer YZ. The RT is a great bike, but not made for modern MX. Aside from its low price, it had great appeal to short guys like me who had trouble straddling newer YZ suspension, and it made an excellent trail bike as it was piped for midrange. Its very similar to the Blaster setup. My RT180 completed two Blackwater 100's.

Yamaha_Rules69
02-06-2003, 12:29 PM
cool. How well can you jump on your 180? Im scared to try a double.

TimSr
02-06-2003, 12:35 PM
I dont have mine any more but I wouldnt have done a double either unless it was very small and very close together. Look for pictures of MX tracks from the 70's and early 80's, and youll see a remarkable difference in the jumps sizes and styles compared to today. Those old ones are what your bike was made for.

Kilborg
02-06-2003, 06:46 PM
The Rt180 is basically a girls or younger guys bike. It is just meant to learn the basics, Don't waste your time jumping on one. You will end up with a broken bike and probably broken bones. The little Rt has an amazing way of turning people into suspension and traction when they try to jump them.