PDA

View Full Version : TIGER detective work

Trikeaholic
02-05-2003, 10:04 PM
Today, I started thinking "I bet that my company has a branch in Eagan, MN, I also bet it was open since the mid 1980's" So I called, talked to the manager, who told me the branch was opened in the mid '80's, just like I suspected. He then told me that his District Manager was the Manager back then. Seeing as we sell nuts and bolts to manufacturing companies, (well, back then thats all we did) I think its a pretty good bet that this guy sold to Tiger ATV! I sent him an email, asking if he ever heard of the company, lets see what happens. I also bet that the ex-tiger employees (welders, machinists, etc) are all still alive and well working similar jobs in and around Eagan, MN. That is my next step, to have one of the salesmen out there to start asking around machine shops, and welding shops, mabey even bike shops. soon enough, if they help me out (most of our guys are pretty willing to help a fellow employee out, for any reason) we might just find a shed full of parts, literature or crated bikes! You never know...........If this doesnt work, I think I will place a classified ad in the local paper up there looking for info offering a reward for solid leads, that cant cost much, and may provide some good results.

mike from long island
02-05-2003, 10:12 PM
damn good idea hope something pans out man yo aint no nutty hick from upstate yous gotta brain hehe

HemiChallenger71
02-05-2003, 10:46 PM
That's really cool, and I wish you luck. I bet there's a ton of Tiger's in that area. Like depending on where you are in detroit you can tell by the vehicles and dealerships which company originated here, and has its headquarters in the area.

Trikeaholic
02-05-2003, 11:01 PM
:D @ mike

Yamaha_Rules69
02-06-2003, 01:16 AM
I live in southern MN, and Eagen is probly not even 50 miles away. I think I have seen the Tiger building there before. I wouldnt be suprised if some guy has a few of them in his barn. Ive seen a few rare trikes around here in the past. Just thought i'd let u know.

hrc200x
02-06-2003, 01:37 AM
What types of rare trikes have you seen yamah_rules? I know there is a Tiger in Lakeville or Farmington MN. I'm emaling an old racer for Tiger and he says that when the owner cut the business he was deeply in debt, so I don't know if he'll have any Tigers. I found out the first name of the owner of Tiger ATV, but this racer never new his last name.

That guy also said that he raced 5 different Tigers, but never owned one. He didn't like them enough to buy one. he loved the motors but the ground clearance wasn't in proportion to the suspension? Any idea what he's talking about Trikeaholic? I'm thinking that maybe he means that when the suspension is compressed the frame hits the ground before the shock fully bottoms or there is too much ground clearance for when the suspension is fully compressed. He said the quads were improved over the 3 wheelers.

Yamaha_Rules69
02-06-2003, 12:24 PM
I saw what looked to be a ciagva 200 in some guys shed. He said he sold it to one of his friends, but they havent paid him yet, and there it sits. I bet I could get it for $200 or under. It dosent have and decals or anything on it, so im not sure EXACTLY what it is, but it sure looks like a ciagva to me. It has white fenders in the front and back, and it has a white tank. The seat is green, which i dont know is factory. It also has front and rear suspension. He lives not too far from my house (15 min.) Do you guys think I should get it? He said it ran, but it needs the exhaust welded back on. Like I said tho, i dont know exactly what the machine is. Tell me what you guys think. Thanx.

Yamaha_Rules69
02-06-2003, 12:25 PM
Ooh yeah. WAS UP JESSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yamaha_Rules69
02-06-2003, 12:30 PM
Ooh yeah. WAS UP JESSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whiteman350x
02-06-2003, 01:59 PM
The factory Cagiva has orange fenders (fiberglass), orange tank (plastic), and green seat cover (marked Cagiva by Tricky Dick's). Motor will also be marked Cagiva. I sent pics of mind to Jared, he should post them soom so you can see what one looks like. Mine is all original as far as I know.

Dan Tenn
02-07-2003, 12:22 PM
Unfortunately the building that housed the Tiger factory has been torn down. I have talked with hrc200x, and he has spoken with a former mechanic for tiger. Unfortunately he will not give any names (probably due to the debt issue). I live less than two hours away from the former factory and have thought about taking a rode trip to look through the woods near by for any remnants. I have family in the area, and have them doing some detective work for me. I have thought about placing an ad in the local papers, but dont have the time to follow up on any leads at the moment. If anyone is interested in placing an ad, the local papers are the St. Paul Pioneer Press, and the Minneapolis Star Tribune. You can place adds online for both. If anyone has any leads, I would be happy to do the leg work (take pics, collect info, etc.) when im visiting friends in the area. Good Luck, hope this helps.

Yamaha_Rules69
02-07-2003, 12:24 PM
I was told this one had a suzuki 250 dirtbike engine. Maybe its not a Cagiva. I looks like one tho. Ooh well, I think he sold it now. I'll just keep up my quest for a 200x in the Minnesota area for under 600 dolars.

Jeb
02-07-2003, 03:06 PM
perhaps that was an old RM250 conversion. It still may be worth picking up if you can get it. you could probably get you money back selling it to a collector.