View Full Version : Gotta love General Motors

Blown 331
06-29-2005, 09:39 AM
http://www.pistonslap.com/ :eek:

Maine_Triker
06-29-2005, 09:45 AM
Just goes to show that a GM is a POS. I like this quote:

"The very evidence provided by the manufacturer
(GM) to indicate this condition is not a problem ultimately demonstrates that it is a problem."

LMAO

ATCWRENCH
06-29-2005, 09:52 AM
that just tickles my button. I am a Ford fanatic and my brother is a G.M. freak and we fued all the time over who is a better vehicle maker.
G=Get a
M=Mechanic
C=Called
Yea I know there are about a million dopy names for ford but the one thing I can say about Ford that is that everything they sell is afFORDable compared to G.M. and they back it all up.

F7Firecat
06-29-2005, 09:55 AM
Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news but here is a link for recalls. If you look every manufacturer is on it & for MANY various reasons. So those who are brand loyal don`t be tooting your horn too loud LOL.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/recalls/news.html

ATC crazy
06-29-2005, 10:16 AM
that just tickles my button. I am a Ford fanatic and my brother is a G.M. freak and we fued all the time over who is a better vehicle maker.
G=Get a
M=Mechanic
C=Called
Yea I know there are about a million dopy names for ford but the one thing I can say about Ford that is that everything they sell is afFORDable compared to G.M. and they back it all up.

Its the same way between me and one of my friends too. Im a Ford fan and he's a GM fan. Poor guy....I almost feel bad for him

:p

OldSchoolin86
06-29-2005, 10:23 AM
Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news but here is a link for recalls. If you look every manufacturer is on it & for MANY various reasons. So those who are brand loyal don`t be tooting your horn too loud LOL.

Exactly, you can find a ton of dirt on all the maufactures.

Blown 331
06-29-2005, 10:38 AM
I don't see how you can compare a company admitting they have a problem and taking steps to correct it to building vehicles that knock and denying it's a problem.

F7Firecat
06-29-2005, 10:47 AM
Well Ford had a problem a few years back with the tires & they knew while building the vehicles that the tires they were using were GARBAGE !!! It was stated as so from one of the GM`s ( General Managers ) that they had learned of the problem but continued to use the tires on new vehicles anyway. I think I`ll take an ENGINE KNOCK over a possible life ending accident anyday but that`s just my thought I don`t know I might be wrong in feeling this way. Also there has to be many other things that never get to the media that not one of us ever hears about ( money hides alot of problems ) all brands have had some hidden things that will never surface. I`m just giving you a heads up that there are far worse recalls by other companies that had to be forced by the Federal Government before they ever materialized.

OldSchoolin86
06-29-2005, 10:53 AM
I don't see how you can compare a company admitting they have a problem and taking steps to correct it to building vehicles that knock and denying it's a problem.
Every company has problems that they ignore. If they aren't forced to do a recall or it's cheaper to do one then head up some law suits they will all deny as long as they can. Old news.

ATCWRENCH
06-29-2005, 10:58 AM
The tires used on Fords SUV's were not junk they were good tires. People would buy an SUV and expect a cadillac ride out of a off road orientated vehicle. without complete suspension revision the next best thing to get a decent ride out of an SUV was to lower the tire pressure. Well with lowered tire pressure comes sidewall fatigue and damage resulting in a tire blow out. Granite the largest portion of blow outs happened on the highway due to higher tire RPM's and tire heat allowing the rubber to "let go" a lot easier.

F7Firecat
06-29-2005, 11:04 AM
I beg to differ with you. If the tires were good tires then Why would Ford spend all that money to give the owners of the vehicles new ones ? Was it because they were good ? I wouldn`t think so but hmm maybe they needed a tax break & what better way to do it than waste a bunch of money

400ccHomemade
06-29-2005, 11:28 AM

A cat guy saying all manufacturers have they're problems? BIG suprise. (I'm a Ski-Doo guy, just bustin)

ATCWRENCH
06-29-2005, 11:31 AM
cuz the majority of society are like sheep, if they are all running and one goes off a cliff the rest follow. if one guys tire blows up on his truck cuz of lack of air pressure and wants new tires from the auto maker, everyone else wants new tires for free cuz he's gettin them for free. it was cheaper on Fords behalf to just supply new tires to everyone than try to take it to court to prove a simple point. a tire with the correct amount of air pressure is less likely to have a malfunction than one with less than recommened air pressure. My parents own a 2000 Expidition and it had the supposed bad tires on it and we never had any trouble with them cuz there was the correct amount of air pressure in the tire. when we had them changed after, I repeat after they had warn out from time and ware on the road we had them inspected for unusual damage and ware, nothing looked different. it looked like a normal driven tire. I have several friends that had worked and some still do work at our local Ford dealer ship tell me that was the only problem with those tires, lack of air pressure.

OldSchoolin86
06-29-2005, 11:44 AM
The tires used on Fords SUV's were not junk they were good tires. People would buy an SUV and expect a cadillac ride out of a off road orientated vehicle. without complete suspension revision the next best thing to get a decent ride out of an SUV was to lower the tire pressure. Well with lowered tire pressure comes sidewall fatigue and damage resulting in a tire blow out. Granite the largest portion of blow outs happened on the highway due to higher tire RPM's and tire heat allowing the rubber to "let go" a lot easier.
Who are you saying lowered tire pressure, the auto owner or the auto maker?

ATCWRENCH
06-29-2005, 12:03 PM
dealerships would lower tire pressure to a spongy cuz auto owners would complain of a to stiff of a ride in an SUV. if you buy an off road orientated vehicle you should expect a stiff ride.

OldSchoolin86
06-29-2005, 12:20 PM
dealerships would lower tire pressure to a spongy cuz auto owners would complain of a to stiff of a ride in an SUV. if you buy an off road orientated vehicle you should expect a stiff ride.
Sorry but that is a load of BS. Ford did not do a serial number specific tire recall because dealers were lowering air pressure. If your threory was correct then they would have recalled all of the tires which they did not. There WAS a bad run of tires that they traced by production time. ONLY those were replaced. Also I'm sorry but Ford did not and would not replace tires when all then might have needed was air pressure. That's just plain silly. IMO this whole tire example shouldn't even be in this thread, they wern't FORD tires they were a batch of Firestones. I have a hard time fualting Ford for getting a bad run of tires.

trikerider2oo7
06-29-2005, 12:20 PM
everyone i know who has a ford has problems with it. rarely do i hear problems with chevys except for on the internet.

Blown 331
06-29-2005, 12:28 PM
everyone i know who has a ford has problems with it. rarely do i hear problems with chevys except for on the internet.

I work for a maint. management company for fleet vehicles. Most of them are Fords and trust me there are PLENTY of problems with Chevy. Granted fleet vehicles lead a rough life but we usually have to replace a 4L60E (trans) and fuel pumps more than once for the life of each Chevy vehicle. The fuel pumps are about $500 just for the part and if we run a vehicle to 200k it will most likely need at least 2 or maybe even 3. Same with a 4L60E. Even though we manage more Fords we do more transmissions for Chevy. I have documentation to back this up. We manage all 50 states and Canada.

F7Firecat
06-29-2005, 12:36 PM
I`m in no way brand loyal as I own a Ford pickup, Dodge caravan, Chevrolet S-10 pickup & Blazer. I was just pointing out the fact that all manufacturers have their own problems & I would be willing to bet that we see at most 80% of them posted on any type of websites. The battle between good & evil is a neverending cycle. Brand loyalty runs deep in some people & it is more of a choice than a thought out process as to which you buy. I for one will buy whatever is the better buy at the time I`m looking it makes no difference as to what brand it is.

ATCWRENCH
06-29-2005, 12:49 PM
The single biggest reason why I am brand loyal to Ford is I am a pretty big guy and chevy and dodge do not have the amount of room a ford does in my opinion. I work at an upholstery shop I have had the chance to drive a lot of vehicle from a lot of auto makers and the fords, what ever make it is, have more cab space than anything I have driven or ridden in.

MassTrike
06-29-2005, 06:44 PM
Im a big chevy guy but I like ford as well, they bolth have there moments, as for the new fords had some major issues with 2 of the 450's and their crappy trannies. I live building GM motors and they have treated me great. Every ford motor Ive had has had a problem within the first run. All in all I lean towards GM for old speed. BUT you cant kill a 88 F-150 with the old 300 straight. my father is the origional owner and it has over 300,000 on it and it runs like it new. Rotted like a SOB but its a runner.

Why hasnt anyone thrown DODGE under the bus yet??!!!!

OldSchoolin86
06-29-2005, 07:52 PM
Why hasnt anyone thrown DODGE under the bus yet??!!!!
Way too easy!!!

84honda 200X
06-29-2005, 08:06 PM
Im a total Ford fan because every chevy up here that i know of and my friends chevys and dodges always fall apart. I own a 94 F150 with a set of pipes lift and tires and i have yet to have a single problem with it. The only thing that was wrong with it when i got it was it had some rust above the rear fender wells and one cab corner and the back fual tank had a leak in it but i never use it so i never fixed it.

deathman53
06-29-2005, 08:43 PM
amen to the f-150 with the straight 300, my brother has a 90 or so and over 300,000 miles, not one problem, he got it from where I work and it got a new tranny, distibuter and radiator and I think starter from a few problems over the 8 years the company had it, but my supervisor drove it everyday 200-300 miles a day and never left him stranded. My brothers the back fuel tank has a leak in it too, but he never uses it, he drives the truck 10 miles each way to work. I had a fork ranger and had problems with it, defect in the brake rotors causing it to eat brake pads, those plastic handles to move the seats broke, front 4x4 hubs, air conditioning condenser, rear leaf string rotted out(the dealer tried to tell me that I used the truck to tow and ramp a boat on a regular basis, I never owned, nor towed a boat in my lifetime, then they blamed it on hauling my dirtbikes and quads the occasional trailer), the normal termistat being stuck closed, and finally the crank shaft broke with 94,000 miles on it(and they refused to cover the motor as it was 2 months out of warranty), they would give me a discount on a new ford, but at that point I was so sick of the truck and I refuse to buy another ford ranger. I bought a 92 issuzu pickup with 134,000 miles as temparery transportation for $500 and still have it 1 1/2 later, I also have a 98 nission frontier that my dad gave me. Where I work I drive a 87 gm diseal mail truck and it is very reliable, and we have a fleet of ford work vans and they seam pretty good, considering how much they are driven.

Troll 2
06-30-2005, 08:22 AM
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/archives/23/ford_pinto.html................. :naughty:

86250RZ
06-30-2005, 10:09 AM

You have got it all wrong! Ford is at fault for a portion of the problems. The Ford Exploder rides like a hard tail Harley, it a joke of a ride, so what do the geniuses a Ford do... (Ford Tech Talking) DUH DU DUHHHHH... Why dont we let some of the air pressure out of the tires maybe that would help. So the dumb fu@#$ Let the air pressure down and posted a lower air pressure for thier customers to maintain in thier tires.

I beg to differ with you. If the tires were good tires then Why would Ford spend all that money to give the owners of the vehicles new ones ? Was it because they were good ? I wouldn`t think so but hmm maybe they needed a tax break & what better way to do it than waste a bunch of money

Ford had to replace the tires because they were partly at fault for the blowouts by being the stupid arses that they are they decided they knew more about tires than firestone and recommended about 10 PSI less than firestone had recommended.

ATCWRENCH
06-30-2005, 10:10 AM
ok yea the ford pinto was a bad idea but what about the chevette, monza, citation. those were all horrible half-a-cars from both of those auto makers

ATCWRENCH
06-30-2005, 10:19 AM
hey 86250RZ I understand where you are coming from and like you said the explorers ride like a hard tale cruiser. WITH OUT(not yelling just emphicizing)complete suspension revision the next best thing was to lower tire pressure but not that low. and if anyone who has half a damn brain would look at the tire to make sure how much pressure is supposed to go in the tire.

again people expected a superplush ride out of a Off Road Vehicle. My parents expidition rides like a hard tail until you get some people in the back then it softens quit a bit.

bigredhead
06-30-2005, 10:19 AM
Hey now.. don't dump on the chevette.... one of my friends had one and we BEAT THE LIVING HELL out of it and then some...... it ran like a champ.

Ugly SOB's but tough as nails.

ATC crazy
06-30-2005, 07:15 PM
Dont blame Ford for the tire problems. Ford did not manufacture those tires. Firestone did. Firestone was at fault for not properly designing a tire that could hold up to the Ford's weight and driving style of the owners.

threewheelin-feelin
06-30-2005, 07:38 PM
well ive got news for you....everything will have problems....company and dealershits want your stuff to breakdown.....then they get money for parts a labor to repair them....all companys put out cars and trucks that you will never have a problem with....and then some that are lemons....just hope you get a good one....and take good care of it

hrc85250r
07-01-2005, 12:23 AM
that is wierd how those engines knock....gm has always been reliable, oh well....did you guys here about those ford cruise control switches on the master cylinders...they wont recall all of them and there is still cars catching on fire!!! HOLY $#!T