PDA

View Full Version : 1987 Jeep Cherroke 4WD problems...

Russell 350X
06-30-2005, 10:09 PM
Ok, a bud of mine just bought this Jeep for 100$, near perfect shape, or at least we thought so. Its a 5spd, 4WD, with a 4cyl in it, pretty ballsy. Anyways I was driving it and I got to this little ditch, not very big and I went into it, the front tires got hung up. The ditch was less that a foot deep but I didnt get a good enough run on it. I put it in 4WD and gave her some gas and let the clutch out and the front end started grinden, clunken, a bunch of things, does it in 4Hi and 4Lo so I dunno, its definetly not the *-joints its somthing in the transfer case or somthing. The 2Wd works fine so it aint the tranny. What could it be?? Also were the hell is the tranny fluid dipstick on this?Thanks

Russ

PowerTrike
07-01-2005, 01:30 AM
Try the 4x4 out on a level surface, but it in Neutral and then try to enguage it. Sounds like the t-case might not have fully enguaged. A fluid change might be a good idea. Can't tell you where the tranny fluid dipstick is, i have a 6 banger '87. If the T-case is screwed up, I wouldn't bother with a rebuild. They are cheap and pretty easy to find (Should be a NP 231 or 242) Sounds like your friend got a helluva deal!

foster
07-01-2005, 08:59 AM
A friend of mine sends this piece of advice.

It could be the *-JOINTS or the Axles Ujoints. I know I have a bad one and it only clunks in 4wd HI and LO.

As for the TCase dipstick, well, it's not a dipstick, it's just a BOLT / COVER and would be on the rear of the TCASE. needs to be full up to the bolt when you remove it.

Guess, he's looking for tranny disptsick, not sure where that one is.
Hope it's helpful and good luck. Hope one day that I find a Jeep for $100 that runs, too!

ScottZJ
07-01-2005, 03:02 PM
Yeah it really sounds like the axle * joints near the wheel to me. Esp if you have it turned while you were trying to put it in 4x4. If that isnt the case, then you need to open the T-case and see what it looks like inside.

CINCH
07-01-2005, 03:20 PM
it's a 5 speed, there is NO transimission dipstick

pop the pumkin cover and inspect the gears

84honda 200X
07-01-2005, 11:48 PM
You should check the axles to you might have a broken axle and only notice the noise when its in 4 wheel drive.

PowerTrike
07-07-2005, 02:02 AM
On second thought, does it have a vaccum disconnect Dana 30 front axle? They are known for problems...just look for a vaccum canister and line running into the axle tube near the pumpkin. Good luck.

...fer shits and giggles heres an older crappy pic of my '87 (shes changed a little since then) Poser flex

http://jupiter.walagata.com/w/fisher/4xj.jpg

strick9
07-08-2005, 12:18 PM
on mine there was a plastic yep plastic shift fork in the front end that engaged the hubs. when that broke it did the same thing it was only like 30 bucks for the part, but was a pain iun the @#$ to fix

ScottZJ
07-08-2005, 12:32 PM
Oh I dont have that vacume crap on my XJ anymore....hehehe I have "real" hubs now. Gotta get out to lock.

Oh and there is a pic of mine ramping just alittle bit, but you gotta be careful cuz I almost went to high lol.