PDA

View Full Version : ATC 500R Project FINALLY started!

Derrick Adams
07-02-2005, 09:21 AM
After trying to buy my CR500 for 3 months, I finally got it and rode it only once. I found an issue with the shifter and had that repaired. Now, I'm finally starting on it.

This week I pulled the bike down to an engine and frame. The triples and forks were taken to the machine shop along with a set of 250R triples and front axle. While the forks are out, I'm having them rebuilt and set-up for MX and my weight. I hope to have the front end back together in a couple weeks.

After looking at all the other 500 conversions I could find, I decided to take a whole different approach to the rear axle swap. I want to re-use the stock swinger, since it already fits the bike and it's aluminum. My plan is to fabricate some brackets (modeled off the Banshee swinger) and run all Banshee parts in the rear. I decided on this because I felt it would be the easiest way to do it, as well as the plentiful aftermarket of parts available for the Banshee. After the initial set-up is done, I can swap to an aftermarket aluminum carrier and upgraded axle set-up if I decide to do so.

I'm also planning on running the Banshee rear brake set-up, since my 500 had drum brakes originally. This should make it fairly simple to maintain, and with any luck I can fabricate a mount to use an unmodified Banshee brake lever as well.

I still have to come up with a sub-frame design that will fit the 250R seat and plastic, yet lower the ride height of the seat a bit. I would also like to add some sort of an airbox and removable storage box.

With the Decompression kit installed I may switch to a modified blaster kicker, to try to get away from removing the rear plastic to start it, I've done some more research on that kit and found that it is everything they claim it to be.

I've got a long road ahead of me to get it the way I want it, but it should turn out great! I will be taking pictures along the way and will post a final "how-to" when it's all finished. Look for this one to have more polished aluminum than the space shuttle!

Jason Hall
07-02-2005, 11:44 AM
Give Me A Good Old Big Bore 250r, Pro-x Jug. Has Counter Ballancer, 50 Times Easier To Start, & With The Rite Rider & A Good Trans, Will Run Like A Big Dog. 500's Have Too Much Power To Hook Up, Especially On Dirt. But Thats My Opinion. In The End Traction Is King. If That 500 Ever Grabbed Some Good Traction It Would Chuck You Off So Quick You Could Never Let Off Fast Enough.

MTS
07-02-2005, 09:27 PM
Give Me A Good Old Big Bore 250r, Pro-x Jug. Has Counter Ballancer, 50 Times Easier To Start, & With The Rite Rider & A Good Trans, Will Run Like A Big Dog. 500's Have Too Much Power To Hook Up, Especially On Dirt. But Thats My Opinion. In The End Traction Is King. If That 500 Ever Grabbed Some Good Traction It Would Chuck You Off So Quick You Could Never Let Off Fast Enough.
You have obviously never riddin a cr500....when done up they blow 250's out of the water .... ;) :beer there not hard to start, if you know how to ride there great bikes, this hooking up problem is BS......and if your gettin kicked off learn to use a clutch :p , looks like a good start derrick, cant wait to see that sucker go... :D :beer

250r'en +TCB
07-02-2005, 10:29 PM
definatly post that step by step "how to" when your done, someday I building one of these beast!!!

3leggeddog
07-02-2005, 10:56 PM
i agree with both parties.

a 500 hundred will spin alot and good tractable power is more benifical.

on the other hand if you can get er hooked up who can argue with 65 ft. lbs. of tourqe

Maine_Triker
07-02-2005, 11:27 PM
This is going to be fun to watch. Good luck and I can't wait to see her all finished!!!!!

3leggeddog
07-02-2005, 11:28 PM
it'll be more fun to ride,i can't wait, GET ER DONE

RideRed250R
07-03-2005, 01:34 AM
CR500's are so ridiculously FAST that its funny lol, they can smoke a yz250 or cr250 on top-end in 3rd gear and still have tire spinn, i have a freind who never got his 500 out of 4th gear cause it started gettin traction and would lift the front skyward at close to 100 miles a hour!!!!!!!!!
adam
once you ride a 500 you will have a whole new respect for them

KASEY
07-03-2005, 12:46 PM
look close at the sterring stem neck angle,,, thats what makes bike conversions look so awkward ,,, as most people DON'T know stock atc 250r triple clamps have angle built in to them so if the stem angle isn't the same as a ATC fram you will have way to much rake on the frontend,, you might have to reduce the neck angle ,,,,

Derrick Adams
07-03-2005, 12:55 PM
I was already thinking of that. I noticed that most of the conversions still have the axle in front. I was thinking of running it in the rear, for starters. But, I was just looking at cutting the frame and pulling my stem back if neccessary.

The biggest issue I have right now is trying to find a tank and shrouds. I really wanted to run the stock Honda red stuff on this bike. But the tank on the 85 Cr is kind of Orangish-red. Doesn't look real good. I can't seem to find anything that I like yet. All the aftermarket tanks are made for the newer CRs with the seat going clear up to the gas cap. That wouldn't look like a trike at all. I'm going to mock up a ATC tank and see if I can get it to work.

jmack3986
07-03-2005, 02:57 PM
Hey derrick man good luck i hope it is an easy project for you and if you need parts let me know what you need and give me the money and i will get them cheaper than anyone else i get 20% off at work so let me know

jmack3986
07-03-2005, 02:58 PM
and if you need welding done then look up the guy at precise welding in lancaster he is one of the top welders in the usa

Louis Mielke
07-04-2005, 09:53 AM
The 88-89 tanks are red and not orange and should bolt right up

250r'en +TCB
07-04-2005, 10:11 AM
hey how much did you score that CR500 for anyway???
Hope you have an awsome time building the trike!!! :beer

Jason Hall
07-04-2005, 11:04 AM
Obviously Mr 500 Has'nt Bolted Himself On A Sweet BIG BORE 250-r, I'm Not Saying A 500 Convertion Would Not Be As Impressive As Hell (Let Her RIP DERRICK). I Personaly Think The Short Quick Revving 250 Stroke Will Be Easier To Hook-Up, & Hold The Throttle Pegged. I Raced Billy At Trikefest With His 500, & I remember Billy Saying He Was Having A Hard Time On The Start. We Ran So Close In Our Second Race Nobody Except Me & Billy Could Tell Who Won. Billys Ride Was Fast As Hell, But I Will Do Some Work To My Trans. & All I Can Say Is I'm Drooling Over My Chance To Run Those 500's Next Year. Little 3-TEN-R. By The Way Who Was The Guy At Trikefest With The Sweet Looking 500-R, That Got Smoked On The Drag Strip By The White 310. Twice. Billys 500 Was Alot Faster.

Derrick Adams
07-04-2005, 11:56 AM
I'm not really out to build a drag bike. I'm looking more for an over-all performer. I want a nice trail bike with more than enough power to torque up most hills in low gears. I also want the long travel suspension for the plush ride and good jumping ability. I would also like to run some Harescrambles with it, and maybe even some MX, if I can learn to control the torque.

Louis, I checked into the 88-89 tanks and although they're the right color, I really don't care for the way the seat comes way up. Thanks for the help, though.

I saw that p500r on .ORG has a 250R tank and shrouds on his CR frame. It seems to fit good, so I think I'll go that way.

On a side note, I got some more pictures of it today. Now if I can just quit getting out bid on my Banshee parts I need, I can get this thing sitting on three wheels!

Jason Hall
07-05-2005, 11:02 PM
How Is The 500 Coming? I Want To Make A Suggestion On The Swing Arm. If You Use A 400ex Rear Swing Arm Section (CARRIER SECTION), & Weld It To The 500 Swing Arm, You Can Keep The Honda Look, & Also Benifit With The Smaller Brake Rotor & Superior Brakes Of The 250r. Simple ( Stole By Yamaha), Chain Adjustment Also. I Bet There Are Alot Of Broken 88 & 89 250r Swing Arms Somwhere, I Had One I Welded & Twisted Back On A Old Beater 350x.

KASEY
07-06-2005, 12:37 AM
i kinda agree ,, when you are on dirtb where traction is the most important big power doesn't always mean your the fastest,,,, BUT put some paddles on in the sand with positive traction and the LITTLE 310er will get sand blasted everytime,,, cause horsepower ALWAYS wins,,, :D :D :D

Jason Hall
07-06-2005, 09:15 AM
Well Let The Sand Blasting Begin, Bring Her To Silver Lake & We'll See If How Long You Can Keep On It Without Wheeling Off Like Your Picture Shows, We Can Argue All Year Long. If That 500 Was About 20 Feet Long Maybe You Could Out Holeshot That Small Motor. If You Can't Use That Whole Motor What Sense Does It Make? Heres An Idea, Bring That 500 To Jackson & We'll Race 300' On The Road Where There Is No Tire Spin. Little 310 Has Plenty Of Horse Power (Auxilary Exhaust Port), Ever Rode One? Just Not As Much Tire Spinning Torque.

KASEY
07-06-2005, 09:28 PM
just so you know that picture is at 76 mph!! it was radared by the sand wizards in florence last year,,, i have a 6 inch extention ,, so i have very fwe problems getting off the line plenty fast enough,,, :D :D :D and since i will never be in the midwest there isn't much sense in an challenge ,,, :D :D

oh by the way ,, my best time in the 300 is 4.6 with paddles on sand,,, i would imagine if i took the small carb off and put a larger one with some drag porting it would be faster ,,, but it was built as a all around bike not a drag racer,,, :D :D :D :D

Derrick Adams
07-11-2005, 05:28 PM
The CR500 is now officially an ATC500. Just updating the post. I fabbed up my axle mounts today and cut/narrowed the swinger. Still waiting on my triples to get back from machining. Planning on sending out the rear shock for revalving after I get the swinger finished up and mocked.

Blown 331
07-11-2005, 05:54 PM
That was pretty fast, can't wait to get some pics and a ride report!

Billy Golightly
07-11-2005, 06:11 PM
Derrick, whats the status on the de-compression system? :D Inquiring minds (Mine!) would like to know.

350Xhilaration
07-11-2005, 06:27 PM
You bringing it to PA this weekend...? LOL

Derrick Adams
07-11-2005, 10:52 PM
Billy. I wanted to get my swinger finished up before I pull the motor. Need to get my sprocket alignment right. Once that's done i'm yanking the engine and hand delivering the cylinder to them. Probably 2 weeks, realistically. Then however much time it takes them to do it. (Hopefully while I wait! lol )

I plan on ordering my plastic this weekend and once that comes in I can tackle that subframe. I also need to pick up a grab bar.

I'd like to have this thing up and running by the Sunset Ramblers weekend. ;) :cool:

Red Rider
07-11-2005, 11:18 PM
Derrick, you could always make the grab bar part of the subframe, unless for some reason you need to have a removable grab bar.

Blown 331
07-12-2005, 08:33 AM
Derrick, you could always make the grab bar part of the subframe, unless for some reason you need to have a removable grab bar.

I would keep it removable. If you wheelie and drag it, it may bend so I think you should keep it seperate so you can change it.

Billy Golightly
07-12-2005, 10:35 AM
Billy. I wanted to get my swinger finished up before I pull the motor. Need to get my sprocket alignment right. Once that's done i'm yanking the engine and hand delivering the cylinder to them. Probably 2 weeks, realistically. Then however much time it takes them to do it. (Hopefully while I wait! lol )

I plan on ordering my plastic this weekend and once that comes in I can tackle that subframe. I also need to pick up a grab bar.

I'd like to have this thing up and running by the Sunset Ramblers weekend. ;) :cool:

Ah, that makes sense. Definetly want to make sure those sprockets get lined up. I imagine even a Titanium chain wouldn't last long with 60hp on the front sprocket and then the back one being out of alignment! :eek:

If you need any help on the subframe stuff or have some questions, leme know. I got my aluminum one finished up and its pretty snazzy I think. Are you sticking with the original orange tank, or are you going aftermarket? From what I've red the IMS ones dont have the built in scoops like the Clarke, but does not fit as well. Airscoops are still available from maier for the 85-86's in a couple different colors.

Derrick Adams
07-12-2005, 11:05 AM
Guess what I found out! I can run a factory 250R tank! I saw p500r has one on his CR500 converted trike (3wheeler.org) and it fits real well. Since I have one of those available, that's what i'm using.

Billy Golightly
07-12-2005, 12:17 PM
Really? Very interesting. Mounts are the same and stuff? Wonder which one is heavier... :p

3Razors
07-12-2005, 04:43 PM
Hey Billy you should reproduce that Leager 3 wheeler conversion. Since you have all the parts it would be easy to have that outsourced and manufactured. Could make you some good $$$ while your at it. Id buy one for sure.

Billy Golightly
07-12-2005, 07:38 PM
I'm not gonna hi-jack Derrick's thread but I'm really only about one part away from having all the bases covered. If someones interested in more details they can PM me.

Derrick Adams
07-21-2005, 09:45 PM
Swinger is going back on tommorrow for final mounting of the rear brackets. Still waiting on the triples. Hopefully they come soon!

Derrick Adams
07-24-2005, 10:24 PM
Here's another update. Just secured a complete Banshee axle assembly for the project. Including the full rear brake set-up and a set off wheel spacers!

Derrick Adams
08-27-2005, 11:59 AM
FINALLY... Some progress today! I'm told the triples and forks are finally done and I should be able to pick them up this week. So, if everything goes well I should have it down on 3 wheels by next weekend.

Next on the list is pulling the cylinder off and having the decompression kit installed.

honda200
12-15-2005, 10:56 PM
any pictures?

any more progress??

Curtis

200xcellent
12-16-2005, 01:42 AM
Its been on three wheels for a while but dagnabit Derrick get that hot rod done!!!!

Derrick Adams
12-16-2005, 04:55 PM
The next 2 weeks off work should help this project along!

3leggeddog
12-16-2005, 08:07 PM
yeah i wanna ride it!!!!!!!!!!

X350X
12-22-2005, 01:32 AM
please post some pics of the swing arm. thats the only thing holding me up from doing this.

Yamahammer490
12-22-2005, 10:46 AM
please post some pics of the swing arm. thats the only thing holding me up from doing this.

Ditto on the request for pics!

conig
12-22-2005, 10:58 AM
Ditto on the request for pics!

me three thats the only part my brain can;t work out.

Derrick Adams
12-22-2005, 10:54 PM
There will be pictures but not yet. I'm documenting the whole build-up but i'm not going to put any of it up until it's finished. Just dont want a 6 month old thread.

200x Basket
12-22-2005, 11:23 PM
There will be pictures but not yet. I'm documenting the whole build-up but i'm not going to put any of it up until it's finished. Just dont want a 6 month old thread.

that sucks, i like to see progress!!!

69HemiGTX
12-23-2005, 12:51 AM
that sucks, i like to see progress!!!

I agree. There is a thread on Moparts that is documenting a member's restoration of a 71 Dodge Challenger, and it was started on 24JUL05. It has had over 11000 views, and has 581 replies so far. People love to see how much work is done between posts. It keeps them coming back in anticipation to see progress. Trying to cram it all in at the end will bore people to death.

Derrick Adams
12-23-2005, 09:03 AM
I agree. There is a thread on Moparts that is documenting a member's restoration of a 71 Dodge Challenger, and it was started on 24JUL05. It has had over 11000 views, and has 581 replies so far. People love to see how much work is done between posts. It keeps them coming back in anticipation to see progress. Trying to cram it all in at the end will bore people to death.

Maybe, but I bet you read it! LOL