PDA

View Full Version : Can a scrambler wheelie?

Muddy200x
07-04-2005, 12:07 AM
You bet it can!
I only tried for a couple minutes, but I bet I can learn to ride one for miles on this thing. Surprisingly easy :)
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/muddy2OOx/images/scrambwheelie.jpg

TravEX
08-21-2005, 01:20 AM
yes, they sure can. when i had mine, i could get bout 100 yds from a dead stop or very slow speeds. Longer than that is difficult cause the speed starts building up cause of the narrow balance point. I still get on my friends 400 scram to see if i can still do it, but the EX has spoiled me, so much easier.

Wickedfinger
08-21-2005, 08:31 PM
Trav, you are right on with that ballance point statement - there is a VERY narrow spot where you can hold a wheelie on a Scrammy, unlike other quads. If you go a fraction over it, you are on your back instantly. Theres no "breathing room". I don't know why it's like that on them - swingarm issue?. Got me.

Jason Hall
08-22-2005, 11:28 AM
I have a 88 tecate 4 that wheelies the same way, very small balancing point. The tecate front end seems heavy, its great for power wheelies, but loves to try & blow over on ya. Its probly a combination of alot of things, to much weight in the front & maybe swing arm length or rear shock geometry.

performula
08-23-2005, 11:21 PM
Are the two stroke 400s reliable?

250r'en +TCB
08-24-2005, 03:31 PM
^^^ It's a polaris quad..........................A.K.A. no

You can get any machine to wheelie. It just requires the balls to stand on the rear grab bar thats all.........

TravEX
08-24-2005, 05:38 PM
from what i have seen (first hand ) they are reliable, between me and my brother and friends, we've had 4 Scrambler 400's and never 1 problem outta any of em, and you sure don't need to put your feet in the grab bar (sissy way) to wheelie these, they wheelie easy enough as it is. And hoppin' them up is cake too, I sold my Scrambler to a friend and he put the AAEN top end pipe and clutch spring in, and it will smoke my 400EX (my EX would beat it before the pipe, and the other 3 Scrambler's). Wheelieing with your feet in the grab bar is sure asking for trouble, I've never even tried it, or needed to to wheelie anything.

Wickedfinger
08-24-2005, 06:12 PM
Are the two stroke 400s reliable?
From the factory, the stock ART pistons are cast and have had problems with dropping their skirts under heavy loads or in a high horsepower motor. ART pistons are used by every manufacturer as OEM in almost all Japanese motors - I wouldn't call Polarises "unreliable" because of them. One of the first recomendations I make to anyone with any 2-stroke Polaris is to replace the ART with a Wiseco right away. Its any easy swap and well worth the piece of mind it gives. They're as reliable as any other 2-stroke powered ATV - its just the nature of the pinger requires more maintenence. If anything, the CVT tranny keeps the motors within their operating RPM's alot better than a manual tranny that has the human element to it (missed shifts, overev, etc.). I will say this though - for some reason, Polaris quads are alot like Dodge trucks - either you get a great one, or a problematic one. Every manufacturer has its issues though. An current example would be of the numerous reports of Kawasakis V-twins grenading their top ends. I personally know of two, one of them is on these boards.

Tri-ZNate
08-28-2005, 10:51 PM
I did on my friends 400. went up a little hill, punched it and rode it probably 50 feet without trying. That was the last time I rode it.

RedRider_AK
09-15-2005, 01:13 AM
I don't know why it's like that on them - swingarm issue?. Got me.

Hmm... maybe a weight distribution issue?