PDA

View Full Version : Help with Windows XP???

Dirtcrasher
07-05-2005, 08:39 AM
Yes, I know this isn't the best forum to get PC help at but I'm comfortable with my fellow trike members and always ask here first.

I do fine with Win98 but XP is greek to me. My neighbor is running windows XP, they haven't been able to buy on EBAY for a year (IMAGINE THAT!!). Anyhow when we go on EBAY and try to bid or BIN, we get the page cannot be desplayed message with check your security settings and SSL-1.0 etc etc. So I went under internet options and checked the security settings and everything was set around medium and I couldn't see any problems. I compared it to my Win98 settings and they seemed about the same.

I went to Microsoft.com to run some updates but it highly reccomended that we backup before anything else and my neighbor needs a CDR before we can do that.

Does anyone know where this could be set up wrong and how to change it??

Thanks for any help!!!

ScottZJ
07-05-2005, 09:23 AM
Well first of all, I would do as you were trying to and get all the updates for the OS. SP2 is now out for XP and is something good to get installed. The warning comes up when you go to load it, cuz microsoft doesnt want to be liable for you loosing your data. This is just a caution measure they take, as they have already been sued twice for this.
If for some reason you just dont want to download it from the NET or you cant since you have dial up, I have SP2 on CD and can make you a copy of it. I got it from microsoft for 10$ and was well worth it compared to the hours of waiting even with broadband. Oh side note, all 8-10 of my computers other than one(has linux) has XP Pro on it and I have no problems what so ever.
Good Luck.

bigredhead
07-05-2005, 10:30 AM
First thing.

Go into explorer and click on
-Tools
- Internet Options
- Delete Temp and _ Delete cookies
- Click on the " Security " Tab at the top and click all the zones one at a time and click on " Default Level " for all 4 zones.

hit Apply and OK. and close. re-open explorer and try again.

if that don't work, do your windows updates.. don't worry about doing the CD-R backups.. just proceed on. 99 % of the time.. you will be just fine. those CD-s are a waste of time.

bigredhead
07-06-2005, 12:24 PM
how'd you make out man ?

btw : the SSL thing is regarding Sercure Socket Layer.. basically 128 bit or more encription.. used for internet banking credit carb transactions etc.. you need to have this patch to surf HTTPS sites.

atctim
07-06-2005, 12:41 PM
An easy suggestion is this, go to www.mozilla.org, download Firefox, and use it for browsing. It's a better browser, plus it's more secure and you don't have all of the silly little Internet Explorer Quirks.

Just my opinion and a good work-around.

foster
07-06-2005, 12:42 PM
Windows XP has excellent online support, too. I'm online with them right now, straightening out a glitch with my memory card reader, which isn't working. First time I ever tried this and I am impressed -- so far. You should have something on your machine called "Digital Lifeline." That could be helpful.

foster
07-06-2005, 01:30 PM
ON the other hand, I've been online with them for more than an hour and they haven't fixed my issue yet. :rolleyes:

bigredhead
07-06-2005, 01:34 PM
what's you issue exactly ?

( i kinda work in this field !! :p )

Meat-BoX
07-06-2005, 02:00 PM
Get MicroShaft windows XP Professional off the net using DC++ or some Bit Torrent site. I have had no problems with my copy. Is your computer new or is it old, as in over 4 years old? Ihave had to fix my Landlords computer many times because its just to old and low tech. I tell em but they dont listen.

I would offer you a copy for free but I believe that may be illegal :beer

Take what ya can and give nothing back :w00t:

Unless they are cool, like this site. I want to buy a 3WW DVD. Everyone send in video someone slap it together and BLAM 3ww has Videos 4 sale. Like that ATC 500 R Ripping up Banshees. That rules. I need a helmet cam :naughty:

Mike_Ham_250R
07-06-2005, 02:04 PM
Get MicroShaft wi...
Never heard that name before. Heh. Well, i am in this department too and id listen to scottzj and bigredhead, or download linux :D

foster
07-06-2005, 03:03 PM
My new machine came with Windows XP HOme edition pre-installed -- no install disk.
Now I find out I need it to get my photo card reader to work, and to transfer files from the old computer to the new computer. WTF??? Why didn't they include the . . . install disk? I just spent the entire afternoon online with tech support. Nice machine, great system, but geez. . .

bigredhead
07-06-2005, 04:07 PM
You should have received a copy of your XP Home cd.. call the guy you got it from or let me know.. i can locate you a copy fairly quickly.

As far as the card reader goes.. if you can get online. you can or should be able to download the " Drivers " for the thing from their website.

is it a USB device ? if so.. windows should pick it up on it's own.. but that can depend on a few things.

Dirtcrasher
07-06-2005, 05:38 PM
how'd you make out man ?

btw : the SSL thing is regarding Sercure Socket Layer.. basically 128 bit or more encription.. used for internet banking credit carb transactions etc.. you need to have this patch to surf HTTPS sites.

Hey, thanks for asking... Scotts gonna hook me up with the CD so I hope that helps and a big thanks to him :beer

But what I just read in your post makes me wonder.... you can surf EBAY all you want but when you click bid or buy it now I believe it becomes a secure transaction. I did restore her settings to the "default" and that didn't do it but I wonder if there is something simple that I'm missing??????

bigredhead
07-06-2005, 06:28 PM
in explorer click on

- Help
-About Internet Explorer

and check her " Cipher Strength ".. should be 128 bit.. if it's not.. there's your problem.

foster
07-10-2005, 02:54 PM
I resolved my issue with my card readers.
Still need the darned disc though to switch over my stuff from the old computer to the new one. Not sure why, but according to the transfer wizard, I need the disc.

Tri-ZNate
07-10-2005, 04:41 PM
I resolved my issue with my card readers.
Still need the darned disc though to switch over my stuff from the old computer to the new one. Not sure why, but according to the transfer wizard, I need the disc.

network them together, then just transfer the files over.

And dirtcrasher internet explorer sux like everyone has said. I use netscape and it is so much better. I think it was just an internet explorer "Special Moment" which is what likes to repetedly happen, thats why i dont use it.

bigredhead
07-11-2005, 08:12 AM
Hey foster.

if you got a cd burner on that old machine.. just open Nero and burn yourself a backup.

foster
07-11-2005, 08:16 AM
That old machine is pretty screwed up. I tried burning the few files I want to get out of it, and she won't do it. It's a real mess!
I'll try again this morning.

edog
07-11-2005, 08:21 AM
Mozila Firefox all the way baby.

bigredhead
07-11-2005, 12:50 PM
Hey foster.. you ever open a computer up before ?

if you take the hard drive out of the old machind and either set it as a " Slave " using those black plastic " Jumpers " You can hook it up to the new machine and copy files directly from one drive to another..

pretty easy to do. but if you've never taken one apart it can be a tad confusing..

no worse than a honda pull start assembly ! LOL.... no c - clips !

foster
07-11-2005, 06:24 PM
I'll take the starter any day over the computer. At least now I have the starter assembly down pat! I never opened a computer in my life.
I'm gonna bug the dealer to give me the disc so I can transfer the files. It's really nothing important in there, but the g/f has some stuff she wants. At least with the disc all I have to do is follow the instructions.

foster
07-13-2005, 10:32 PM
There!
I burnt all her emails on a cd, plus whatever files she wanted, and transfered them over. Thanks for the tips!