PDA

View Full Version : any scuba divers in here??

Oldshell4481
07-07-2005, 08:05 PM
im very interested in getting into scuba diving.. i was wondering if certification is required and how to go about doing this, approximate cost for the course.. i would eventually like to end up going scallop diving up here in maine, and do dive jobs on moorings/boats for the other lahbsterman up here.. any info appreciated, my uncle was a diver before he died.

Oldshell4481
07-07-2005, 08:36 PM
give me some diving stories too, id love to hear em

3 weelin geezer
07-07-2005, 08:50 PM
I would like to get certified but alas, I live right in the middle of the country where there is plenty of sand but not much ocean. I guess I could go to one of the 'nearby' lakes but they are too far. I'm not sure if there are any instructors near here.

Maine_Triker
07-07-2005, 09:22 PM
Diving is also a plus when you sink your trike in the river. LMAO

renotrikeguy
07-07-2005, 09:28 PM
Im a diver. Have been since 1986.. I was one of the last people that were able to certify as a "Basic Diver". John Swinehart "jeswinehart" is a diver also.

ejc042
07-08-2005, 07:58 AM
I am a certified diver. Yes you need to be certified. In order to get your tanks refilled or to rent tanks, dive shops are supposed to see your cerification card. They are not supposed to fill or rent to someone who is not certified. Depending on where you go I believe the current price for Open Water(the basic certification) is in the $200 to $300 range. Then you have to look at buying or renting equipment to dive with.

Oldshell4481
07-08-2005, 03:09 PM
yes i was going to buy the works, used of course, and take the course.. my friends father dove for the navy on the UDT (Underwater Demolitions Team), and his son dives frequently so i would have a friend to dive with until i was comfortable enough to go alone..

LonesomeTriZ
07-08-2005, 03:22 PM
I am certified to go down as well. :naughty:

I am also a scuba diver.

ejc042
07-08-2005, 03:24 PM
until i was comfortable enough to go alone..

That is one thing I will not do. I always dive with a buddy, you never know when something may happen.

3 weelin geezer
07-08-2005, 09:02 PM
now that might be a problem for me. I can't think of anyone I know that dives. but 300 $ doesnt seem that much just finding the chance to attend classes and where in the middle of the desert?

Pistonhead
07-08-2005, 11:59 PM
Holy cow thats some cool stuff there man you've inspiried me next summer I'm gonna go take lessons. I guess it makes sense that youd find things with all the people dropping gear.

Oldshell4481
02-04-2006, 09:50 PM
just figured id let you guys know that i got scuba lessons for christmas and have had a few classes and am finally headin to the pool for a dive with the class tomorrow, i have a good friend who is takin the class with me, its kinda weird his father and my uncle were some of the best divers on the coast of maine but they have both passed away so i guess its just us that are carryin on the generation of divers in the families. im real excited to finally be jumpin into some gear, i have a feelin its gonna be pretty kick ass just learnin how all the equipment works underwater

200xman
02-04-2006, 10:34 PM
Yeah, there is nothing like diving. I got certified in 1990 and have been going down ever since. They don't call it innerspace for nothing. You see some of the coolest things underwater. Have fun and be safe.

Jeffro33
02-05-2006, 10:00 AM
I got certified in 1994. It is really cool. Down here in Florida there are so many places to go. I have not been sence 1998 but I have been thinking of getting back into it. Under water is a compleatly diffrent world. My best experiece was over in Coco Beach, Fl. there is an 18 foot eel that lives in one of the man made reefs. Nobody told me about him. I was cheeking out the reef when I seen a green thing moving. I figured it was som sea weed so I grabded it. The next thing I knew my dive buddy started freaking out. I looked where he was looking at and there was the head of the 18 foot eel. It had to be about 6-8 in round. So we decided to surface to get our bearings back. The dive master was laughing so hard because he seen it all. I can laugh about it now but then I was freaking out. Now I am prepared for anything and everthing. The class is hard but it is so much fun after it is all over.

daputz
02-05-2006, 10:25 AM
I've been certified since "95". At one of the local dive lakes (the one the scuba school uses), you dig through the rocks to grab crawfish and the bass will swarm around you......................then you hold the crawfish out, once you let go the bass will suck it up like a vacum.

BLAZERONE22
02-05-2006, 04:03 PM
I'm a diver also, I have logged over 200 so far, Its the only way to go fishing, I'm lucky to live close to one of the best diving spots in the world, Puget Sound. I've also dived at the Keys in Florida, Cabo, Hawaii. but the cold water is the best. lots to see.

Oldshell4481
02-05-2006, 04:36 PM
i live up in maine where the visibilty is about 10 feet but i still cant wait to bail into the water. the class today was wicked fun, we learned the basics and went through all the procedures of emergency situations and stuff. it was real fun finally getting suited up though.

Klondike1020
02-06-2006, 07:56 PM
Yeah im scuba certified fer like a year bought my gear adn ive gone on a few dives

4 up here in ny and 10 seperate dives in teh bahamas last winter

its awsome