PDA

View Full Version : Building racing lawnmower

ATCkrazy
02-07-2003, 11:47 PM
Well since Im laid off at the farm I work at till april and after seeing this thing on the discovery channel on lawn mower racing I've decided to use my spare time to build a racing lawn mower, I've already found the tractor, a 1980something Massey Ferguson lawn tractor, 8hp kohler horz shaft, so far my plan is to pull the kohler and put a BSE 440T twin cyl snowmobile motor on it and then put a smaller pully on the tranny, I'l pickup the massey this week, I'm geting it for free (thats a plus :-D) , anyone have a any tips/ideas on this?? thanks for any advice.

atcpunk107
02-08-2003, 03:33 PM
ya might wanna extend the rear axle that way you wont roll it around a turn

ATCkrazy
02-08-2003, 10:44 PM
Good idea, but it's going to be more of a dragster, Im not worried about makeing it race legal, This should be intresting :twisted:

ATC crazy
02-08-2003, 11:32 PM
Put some Holeshots on the rear for good traction on grass (or whatever your on)

HemiChallenger71
02-09-2003, 01:24 AM
Put HUDGE rear tires on it, and weld the rear axles together so it's a locker, or get a heavy duty racing tractor trans. They showed some of them on that show.

Mobular
02-09-2003, 05:29 AM
Is Hudge a brand name? Never heard of them. Must be a lawn care products line. Are they good tires?

ATCkrazy
02-09-2003, 10:28 AM
I have an atc-200es parts trike with two good cheng-shin mud busters(25x12) Im gonna see if I can fit them on the tractor, I havent looked at the tractor rim's/hubs yet, I might have to weld em.

HemiChallenger71
02-09-2003, 09:01 PM
Huge, Hudge, I can't spell, excuse my poor spelling. You made me laugh though.

Mobular
02-09-2003, 09:18 PM
LOL! Glad you took it the right way! Cheers!

G-MAN-1
02-09-2003, 09:44 PM
i would love to own one also. maybe this year i will try something. lawnmower racing is getting larger now from what i have read and heard....

Coty
02-10-2003, 11:29 PM
HEY..I HAVE A GREAT IDEA.......LMX......"LAWNMOWER MOTO CROSS" WOULDN'T THAT BE COOL, HITTIN TABLETOPS AND WHOOP SECTIONS ON A LAWNMOWER. THAT WILL BE MY THIRD PROJECT, BUILDING A RACING MOWER, THEN I WILL TRY TO BUILD SOME KIND OF TRACK, NO REALLY BIG JUMPS MAYBE 2 FOOT, WITH MUD HOLES, AND SOME HILLS TO CLIMB. LET ME KNOW HOW THIS SOUNDS.

Jonathan
02-11-2003, 01:17 AM
NO REALLY BIG JUMPS MAYBE 2 FOOT. LET ME KNOW HOW THIS SOUNDS.
Sounds like you don't have much experience with riding mowers. Don't get me wrong, I'd try it (if fact I think I have tried it before, but couldn't get enough speed to get air), but I don't think the mower wouldn't hold up to much more than one or two 2 foot jumps.

FullBore
02-11-2003, 09:00 AM
Our racing mowers here in england will 35-40mph but I don't think they'll stand up to a jump. Have a look at www.google.co.uk and search for Lawnmower racing and you should get lots of info!

Nat[/url]

Wickedfinger
02-11-2003, 08:12 PM
... I can't believe Kilborg hasn't weighed in on this subject ....... after all he is the originator of the Screaming Tractor of Death

ATC crazy
02-11-2003, 08:34 PM
You dont want large tires for lawnmower racing. If you watch on TV their tires are about,,what 18',,or not even that. 18" holeshots or Fast trekers should do. If you want to jump a lawnmower you might as well take the plastic off a quad and bolt the front hood and rear fenders from the tractor on it. It would probably look pretty cheezy but who cares ;)

trikeman
02-12-2003, 10:33 PM
i made 1 over the summer it was only a 5hp massey we put different pullys on it and we could get it going like 35, that was pretty scary, on a small tractor, i have some pics of us jumping it, i'll have to dig them out.

HemiChallenger71
02-12-2003, 10:42 PM
If someone started a performance tractor part supply, they would make a lot of money, or even a special business devoted to a certant type of tractor.... Ever see some of these tuning sites like this: www.eiptuning.com They make some sierious money, enjoy what they do, and have some kick ass cars. Now all we need are companies like this for tractors..... More ideas for anyone that has the resources... Like a new three wheeler manufacture.

Ace Mon
02-13-2003, 11:44 AM
I too have seen a pic of "The screaming Tractor od death" But I thought it was called the "Flaming Tractor of Death . anyway I dont think Kil ever finished it .

85 200X
02-14-2003, 06:22 PM
We do a lot of garden tractor pulling in our area. We have 2 old sears and a massey each with 16 hp motors. They are probably more because we shave a lot off the heads and do some work to them, bore them out, and do some valve work and run them on turbo blue. We run stacks on them so they are pretty loud. We got wheelie bars on them so we don't pull too big of a wheelie and flip them over. Its a lot of fun! :)