PDA

View Full Version : Why should 2-strokes die in '06?

ATC crazy
02-08-2003, 12:18 AM
Why won't honda make another 2-stroke, or Yamaha continue to produce their Banshee? I know about the emissions thing in 2006 but I dont think it will effect the 2-stroke dirtbikes will it? Why dont they slap in a CR250 engine into a 400EX chassis? Relocating it wont effect the emissions.

NOS_350X
02-08-2003, 12:44 AM
they where suposto stop production on them by 2000 but since the only compreable stroker was the yz400 they made keep pushing it back but now with hondas crf 450 and there soon to be crf250 and the suzuki/kawi 450 i wouldn be suprised if they stoped the production of the 2 strokes in bikes also

J.D.
02-08-2003, 12:59 AM
It's ridiculous...I mean, how much can one little engine pollute?

ATCRYDER
02-08-2003, 01:34 AM
Allthough theyve been saying this for years, I think its soon to come (within 8-10 years).

Why wont manufactueres make them?

1. Because the "big 4" are a bunch of "big corporate pussies"

2. (just a guess here...but) Performance (motocross bikes). To meet the emissions standards , year after year, each company will have to leave their machine tuned only to a "running setting", meaning they wont be tuned for perfect rich performance because they will go over the emission level.

jenndnn3
02-08-2003, 01:00 PM
They attack it because it is a minorty, Meaning not everyone in America owns one, so Not many people will be affected by this..This is a method. Take a little at a time...They tell you 2stroke incredibly bad so go to 4 stroke no prob you say, as long as I can still ride...Do you see them attacking the weedwhacker no because everyone in America owns one. Or the Incredibly big gas hogs in vehicles no becuase they would a bigger lash back..So they attack small. And slowly chip away. After 10 years they will come after your 4 strokes dont worry....The Manufacturers I think maybe pussy's as you term them but can you blame them when our judges grant the frivolous lawsuits against them.. For them They are makin money...They will bend to the market to make money. Or they will go out of buisness. It will only be a matter of time before they are suid for gasing their victums..... :rolleyes: Look at the Tobacco industry.

J.D.
02-08-2003, 01:27 PM
Electric quads/dirtbikes, THE WAVE OF THE FUTURE!!

ATCRYDER
02-08-2003, 01:31 PM
ATleast they could bring Triks back if they all went Electric.

Youd have to be a complete fool to crash a 3 wheeler that was 100 pounds and could only go 12mph.

PowerTrike
02-08-2003, 01:32 PM
God I hope not. No electric b.s. Thats about when i would quit ridin' and start off roadin' with a truck. :D

J.D.
02-08-2003, 02:11 PM
ATleast they could bring Triks back if they all went Electric.

Youd have to be a complete fool to crash a 3 wheeler that was 100 pounds and could only go 12mph.
So true....

ATC crazy
02-08-2003, 11:53 PM
Thats about when i would quit ridin' and start off roadin' with a truck.

Pretty soon they will all be electric too. When they make them electric then I will walk wherever I go. Everyone get your 2-strokes while you can.

NOS_350X
02-09-2003, 03:35 AM
i wouldnt talk so much trash on the electric things theres one of those little electric cars in my town (not sure what brand) but he can keep up with any car in a race its perty quick i'm not saying i like them but i'm just saying that they arnt as bad as everyone thinks

mudfreak99
02-09-2003, 04:26 AM
Hey ATC Crazy (and the rest of yuns)... Do you guys not read Dirt wheels or what? The big four, I agree, are a bnch of wusses, but gas gas now has their 300 model 2-stroke for sale in the US, and on an even bigger note Service Honda (not to be confused with Honda motor Corp.) is making new 250r's. They are taking the CR250R motors and throughing them into the 400ex's.. They even have the old style reverse kick on them. the good thing is that they are going about it the right way, and making sure the bike is not a chop job. They will be putting them up to the public within the next year or so I believe.

BIGKAHUNA
02-09-2003, 04:36 AM
Why dont they slap in a CR250 engine into a 400EX chassis? Relocating it wont effect the emissions.

Service Honda is doing exactly this and supposedly it'll be available soon. Yep a 2003 TRX 250R....thats if you got $8000!

mudfreak99
02-09-2003, 04:38 AM
did I not just say that...

jenndnn3
02-09-2003, 12:09 PM
Hey ATC Crazy (and the rest of yuns)... Do you guys not read Dirt wheels or what? The big four, I agree, are a bnch of wusses, but gas gas now has their 300 model 2-stroke for sale in the US, and on an even bigger note Service Honda (not to be confused with Honda motor Corp.) is making new 250r's. They are taking the CR250R motors and throughing them into the 400ex's.. They even have the old style reverse kick on them. the good thing is that they are going about it the right way, and making sure the bike is not a chop job. They will be putting them up to the public within the next year or so I believe.

Funny thing so did hondas when they stop making 3 wheelerss...Didnt they advertise their 1987 250r or 1987 350x.....Does anyone own one?? Trust me when 2 stroke are no longer to be made they wont be...it is not 2006 yet and the dates have been moved on a couple of occosions...

Joel85350X
02-09-2003, 05:47 PM
Well, personally, I see this as a problem that cannot be taken care of by a bunch of 3-wheeler guys and gals talking about it. This requires action.

Did you know that when you call your senator or congressman and ask him/her to vote a certain way, they actually take your words into consideration? There are very few people who will do things like this, and even though it does sound like a goodie-goodie school girl thing to do, it is the manly thing to do when it centers around something you care about: two strokes.

Even doing something simple like starting an anti-two-stroke-ban group and getting some documentation that can be taken to the local ride areas and have signed would help out a lot. If the government sees that the general public (aside from the crazies) does not wish to lose it's two-stroke buying priveleges, then it will not pass legislature of this nature. Thing of all the two-stroke guys out there that race professionally. Some people live for the smell of race gas burning their nose hairs.

Snowmobiles use a two-stroke save for 2 or 3 of the new ones, and their high performance and race markets are booming better than ever. I really don't think that the big four wants to loose these markets. I would bet that 40-50% of their sales are two stroke in nature.

atc's
02-09-2003, 07:26 PM
the way i see it is they tryed to kill three wheelers but couldn't because theres people like us who are keepen them alive i think when they finaly ban two strokes for good they won't die either.

ATC crazy
02-10-2003, 01:35 PM
Service Honda is doing exactly this and supposedly it'll be available soon. Yep a 2003 TRX 250R....thats if you got $8000!

I know they are doing this but at $8K not many people are going to buy it. Definately not me. I was trying to say that Honda should produce one...at around $4-5K ( :? You know they could if they wanted to)

Do you guys not read Dirt wheels or what? The big four, I agree, are a bnch of wusses, but gas gas now has their 300 model 2-stroke for sale in the US,

I read it and I wont buy something that is called Gas Gas, regardless of what products/materials they use. Im not saying that they are the worst in the world, but I would much rather have one of the big 4 make one. (pref. Honda)

i wouldnt talk so much trash on the electric things theres one of those little electric cars in my town (not sure what brand) but he can keep up with any car in a race its perty quick i'm not saying i like them but i'm just saying that they arnt as bad as everyone thinks

Im not really trashing them as much as I am stating my opinion. Plain and simple, an electric car will never be like a gas car. Some models you still have to plug them in at night.

mudfreak99
02-10-2003, 02:10 PM
well As far asa the gas gas goes, I believe that it is an excellent bike company, and I would love to own one, the only 2 companys I would pic over them is honda and Kawisaki. But other then that I think a gas gas would be a very good investment. They have already proven theirselves witht thier enduro and Trials bikes. They did alolt of extensive work on making thier quad, and if the rest of the companys would follow suit, I believe they wuld be alot better in the sales department.

J.D.
02-10-2003, 05:13 PM
Would somebody mind filling me in on this "Gas Gas" company? I've never heard/seen anything about them until now. And before you ask no I don't read Dirt Wheels or any mags like that....

TimSr
02-10-2003, 11:41 PM
"the "big 4" are a bunch of "big corporate pussies" "

C'Mon guys! Dont you think youre being a little unfair to Yamaha who still produces two of the largest selling two strokes of all time? Sure they may be forced to quit by govt regulations in the future, but considering everybody else quit more than 12 or 13 years ago, I think Yamaha should be COMMENDED not condemned! If the other guys were more like Yamaha, youd see a lot bigger fight on this issue.

J.D.
02-11-2003, 12:59 AM
YAMAHA RULES! SO DO 2 STROKES!

theeechozen1
02-11-2003, 08:23 PM
I read that the 2-stroke ban is not going to effect race only machines that are designed for closed course competition-- like the cr, kx,rm,yz machines--but as far as atv's go, there as good as gone :evil: I'm not sure if this will EVER happen, but yamaha's banshee is the only 2-stroke all out performance quad left in mass production, if they redesigned it for mx use (closed course) then they might be able to keep them alive. But this would cost millions to do cause the banshee is far from a good mx'er
Just a thought ;)

TimSr
02-11-2003, 09:36 PM
In Ohio MX racing in both CRA and AMA, the Blaster class is the largest or 2nd largest of ATV classes. This doesnt include other classes that they are eligable and do run in.

Kilborg
02-11-2003, 11:18 PM
I won't get into this topic too much, as it has been beat to death already. Simply put, the 4 strokes nowadays are powerful and can be produced effectively, the technology is sound, and they produce less emissions all while being more efficient with greater reliability (in a sense, this can be debated for days though). I'm the first one to tell you that I love 2 strokes, but technology is technology. That which is greater will prevail, so until something else comes along to phase out the internal combustion 4 cycle engine (in which case the technology is out and maturing at a phenomonal rate, 25 years I predict major changes in transportation).