PDA

View Full Version : demo derby

atcpunk107
07-11-2005, 12:32 AM
hey does anyone else in here run in demo derbies, i know im not the only redneck in here so their have got to be me people who enter demo derbies, this year i am entering a 91 dodge spirit in the 4 banger class at the afton fair, let me see others cars before and after shots i would show mine but i dont have a scanner or dig camera

MTS
07-11-2005, 01:57 AM
we ran a 73 olds nighty eight in one with the 455 n killed lol..

foster
07-11-2005, 07:25 AM
As a younger man, I used to run demos all the time.
JUst don't let 'em hit on the driver's side! That can hurt!

foster
07-11-2005, 07:29 AM
The #7 car: putting on the finishing touches, drawing some eyeballs where the headlights used to be.

"The Green Plunger", so named (middle photo) because we glued a plunger on the roof with a flag that said on it, "Death To Stan." Stan was my racing partner. He's still racing today in SPortsman class and doing quite well. You can see the plunger on the roof in the photo.

That Pontiac in photo #3 was a real POS, but that's ok, I was a real POS myself in those demo derbies. I was pretty scared. Yet for some reason, I kept coming back for more! JUst like a first kiss . . . scared to death, no clue what I'm doing, yet I wanted more and more. :D

foster
07-11-2005, 07:32 AM
If you check out the rocks on the hood of the Plymouth, we used them as "window removal facilitators." :p Gotta remove all glass except for the front in order to enter the derbies around here.

That white Ford was a real death machine, death to me though and not to the competitors. Too small. The bigger the better when it comes to demolition derbies!

Oldshell4481
07-12-2005, 12:21 PM
that poor plymouth restoration project

Howdy
07-13-2005, 07:25 AM
I have ran 25+ Demo Derbies over the years. I always run the mini's, and I have done faily well. I have a bunch of Trophies to show for it. My favorite car to run was a AMC Pacer. I had one that held up good enough to run 8 times. The first 3-4 times I ran it I got first. The last time I ran it it got 2nd. The only reason I quit running it was the rear axle moved forward 4-5 inches on the last run alone ( it had moved forward before also ). After the first 3 derbies I had to start cutting the drive shaft down each time I ran it. It started out having a 100 inch wheel base, it ended up around 92 inch.

I have ran Pinto's, Pacers, Spirits, Gremlins, Fairmonts, Chevette's, and more. I always had the best luck with AMC though. Pinto Wagon's was another tough mini car.
Howdy

atcpunk107
07-13-2005, 10:21 AM
hey howdy how did ya do with the spirit, any weaknesses i have to look out for when i run mine