PDA

View Full Version : lawn mower back firing?

85 250sx
07-11-2005, 09:07 PM
Hello i have a Cub Cadet riding mower that i bought last summer. Well every time i mow the yard and i go to turn it off it turns off then back fires realy loud and flames shoot out of the exhuast. What do you guys think could be causing this? It only back fires after i turn it off never while im riding.

MTS
07-11-2005, 09:13 PM
rich carb.

wheelie king
07-11-2005, 09:15 PM
Yeah, too much gas. The cool thing to do is..... try and calculate the time it takes to do it, and as you are walking away, make a "shooting" motion in the air -- right as it backfires. It would look like something out of a cheesey 80s movie. :p :p

bigredhead
07-11-2005, 10:01 PM
unburnt gas in the exhaust igniting .

I'd change the plug.. clean the air filter.. put some gas stabilizer thru it for a tankful, how old is this thing ?

nouseforaname90
07-11-2005, 10:16 PM
Hello i have a Cub Cadet riding mower that i bought last summer.

I guess its a year old.

85 250sx
07-11-2005, 10:48 PM
I guess its a year old.

no use for a name is correct its a year old

bigb9582
07-11-2005, 11:03 PM
my dad has a cub cadet and it does the same same. never had any probs with it so maybe it a cub thing?

on a side note. my buddy had a old john dear riding mower and we got the idea to make it faster. so we stripped it down to just the motor, seat, fuel tank, and wheels. we clocked it, 10 mph wide open. so then we put a smaller pully on the rear and a smaller belt then reclocked, 30 MPH! it had a slow take off till about 10-15mph than it would haul ass to 30mph. it was crazy flying through feilds wide open on it. it lasted about 2 months before the rod finaly went through the side from running wide open (we bypassed the governer, which allowed us to run it way pass the high setting on the throttle lever).

Maine_Triker
07-11-2005, 11:41 PM
on a side note. my buddy had a old john dear riding mower and we got the idea to make it faster. so we stripped it down to just the motor, seat, fuel tank, and wheels. we clocked it, 10 mph wide open. so then we put a smaller pully on the rear and a smaller belt then reclocked, 30 MPH! it had a slow take off till about 10-15mph than it would haul ass to 30mph. it was crazy flying through feilds wide open on it. it lasted about 2 months before the rod finaly went through the side from running wide open (we bypassed the governer, which allowed us to run it way pass the high setting on the throttle lever).
Now that sounds like a blast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Our tractor backfires as well, not as bad as what your saying though. I think it's cool, sounds kinda like when you get of the seat you're letting one RIP! LMAO

bigredhead
07-12-2005, 09:07 AM
Since it's only a year old.. you could surely call up the place you got it from and ask if it's " Normal " for the thing..

hey. is this motor a Briggs or Tecumseh or .. .. . .. . .

Flames shooting out could be a fire hazard.. no spark arester thingy on that thing ??

Dry lawn and fire go Woooosh.

oddball3
07-12-2005, 09:43 AM
Let it idle down for a little bit before shutting it off. See if there is an electric solenoid on the bottom of the carb. When you shut the key it releases a plunger to shut the fuel flow through the main jet. Make sure it is working properly. If you turn the key on you will hear a click.

bigredhead
07-12-2005, 10:21 AM
Good point.. my 10 hp tecumseh snowblower does that if i just snap the gas off quickly.. but if i gradually slow it down until it stalls it does not backfire.

I bet it happens when you cut the spark. the engine still goes thru a few cycles and pulls gas into the pipe.. wich ignites from the heat and goes BOOM !.

A good mufler should hold up ok. but an old rusty one would eventually glow itself out !! lol...