PDA

View Full Version : Never thought I'd be posting this myself...Friend died

PowerTrike
07-13-2005, 11:16 PM
I've read a couple sad stories here on the forums here before about peoples friends' dying in the past but never thought I'd ever have to go through it myself at my age (18). Now I know exactly how it feels. Friday night a very close friend of mine was driving north on a major local highway when out of the black a drunk driver in a SUV heading south in the wrong lane crashed into him at a high speed. My friend Joe tried to swerve out of the way but was broadsided hard on the passenger side. He was killed instantly. I don't know if he was wearing his seatbelt, but i dought if it would have mattered anyway. I saw his car at the impound later on and it was completly totaled. It was depressing just to look at as I remember riding in it with him just the other week singing along to Alan Jackson... I'm really going to miss playing poker, fishing, ridin, and playing football with him. It just tears me up seeing his family. Its just wrong when parents have to bury their kids. Please don't drink and drive guys. I'm really going to miss him. It feels like a big part of my life is gone.
Just feels better to vent...

I apologize to anyone who I haven't replied back
to for various e-mails, ect. This has been a rough time for me and I will get back to you asap.

jmack3986
07-13-2005, 11:56 PM
hey man i know how that feels i have been there and been through. my best frined wasnt driving or hit by a drunk driver, but i watched as he was taken from his house on a stretcher from a distance, and later found out he had hung himself. look man i know it is hard and things are going to be ruff. but remeber all the good times you had and think about all the bad. it is ruff to loose a friend. in my case i also lost my father when i was seven. and now that it will soon be 12 years july 31st i still cant believe it has happened.
and i am sorry to hear that.

Pistonhead
07-14-2005, 12:16 AM
Sorry to hear that man. My cousin was riding his motorcycle over a hill one night several years ago when some drunks in an SUV were in the wrong lane and hit him, he unfortunately is no longer with us also.

Lomax
07-14-2005, 11:20 AM
I know what your talking about man. When I was 18 I had to watch my best friend get laid to rest. He had just left my house 30 minutes eariler and lost control of his truck in some loose gravel and flipped it 2 times If I remember correctly. Things where hard for quite some time and I still think about things alot. Just remember everything thats fun and enjoyable.

threewheelin-feelin
07-14-2005, 11:12 PM
sorry to hear what happend man.....im just curiouse what happend to the drunk driver?

PowerTrike
07-15-2005, 12:35 AM
Thanks guys. I appreciate your thoughts and feelings. The drunk driver and his 2 passengers were hospilized for their injuries but all should live. I know that the driver is out of the hospital and in jail now awaiting trial. Ironically my friend was wearing his seatbelt, something I've never seen him do before.

Mike Fort Laud
07-18-2005, 12:38 AM
Man I know how you feel. I had one of my best friends get stabbed along with myself by a guy and luckily I had a pair of Fox gloves in my jacket pocket that stopped the puncture to my stomach. I still got cut 7 times on the arm and head. My friend died before we could get him to help. Then a few months later I watched my best buddy flip an airboat and kill himself right in front of me. I had to call his parents and wife while I watched him get airlifted then drive his boat and truck home. It is tough for a while, but I always look back at the fun and crazy things we did and it just makes me smile. I actually went on my airboat today and visited the places my friends died. Good Luck

PLJ.
07-26-2005, 11:40 PM
Very sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. I posted this same thread a few years back, on this same page, when I lost one of my dear friends on a street bike. I, like yourself, had a very difficult time thinking and struggled writing about it. But, I was overwhelmed by the kind replies that members on this board took the time to write. This is truly a great bunch of people and reading the replies and how others have dealt with these issues did help. Now my own two cents: This tragedy is another example of how frail and fleeting our own lives are. We brush death by inches every day when traveling down a two lane road! When skipping an ATC down a trail past trees, climbing into a sewer trench, etc, etc, etc. When I think about a tragedy and a loss such as yours, it reminds me that some day I will be in the same predicament and it actually forces me to think ahead and look to what is important.

Sincere condolances. I have been there also.