PDA

View Full Version : Is there an inexpensive way to ship wheels?

emac1972
07-25-2005, 03:50 PM
I need to ship a pair of tires and rims. I put both of them in one box and it's going to cost a small fortune to ship them this way. Anybody know of an inexpensive way to ship these?

Thanks.

TimSr
07-25-2005, 04:00 PM
UPS or Fredex ground are going to be least expensive. Make sure your box is cut down as small as possible and fits tight because a pair of rear wheels are usually within an inch or two of being oversize. You can go to UPS, FEDEX, and USPS websites and enter weight an dimensions and zip codes and get shipping cost.

Dammit!
07-25-2005, 08:39 PM
My new front tire from service honda arrived via fedex ground without even being in a box. It just had a shipping label right on the tire. You could probably put some kind of plastic wrap around them for just enough protection to keep the rims from getting scratched and ship them that way. Seems weird but people do it. I heard you can even ship frames that way.

90nut
07-25-2005, 08:56 PM
you are talking about ATV wheels correct? If so I ship mine just wrapped in shrink wrap with a labe stuck to the shrink wrap. Heck that is how i get my wheel/tire combos from rocky mnt. ATV. If you talking about like car wheels then it is probably exspensive. My buddy just got a set of 24 inch wheels shipped and that was high $$$

TimSr
07-25-2005, 09:29 PM
If you shrink wrap them instead of boxing them you will will pay an extra $5 service charge for non-satandard packaging.

x.system
07-26-2005, 03:11 AM
If you shrink wrap them instead of boxing them you will will pay an extra $5 service charge for non-satandard packaging.

Not with usps. I shipped out a couple sets of rears, should have took pics I guess but I bolted the two rims and tires together and wrapped them in plastic. I made a built in handle with the threaded rod and they just fit under oversize at usps. They were 20 inch tires on wheels, anything bigger and it would have been oversized and alot more expensive. Also, let the air out of the tire if you do it this way, may make a difference in size with some tires.

Kintore
07-27-2005, 02:50 PM
I sent my stock tri-z tires to OC250r with shipping tape. Put the 2 tires together and used a full roll of tape. They stayed together and UPS didnt have any complaints, was actually the UPS girls idea. They just stuck the label right on the one tire and away it went!

TimSr
07-27-2005, 05:26 PM
Its not a problem and they dont care, and they wont complain, but its an extra $5 charge. When you use their software or take it to one of their counters, and they enter it, there is a box to check for either standard or non-standard packaging. Its figured right into your total. Yes, you can do it. Nobody is saying you cant, but you need to decide if its worth the extra $5 charge. I shrink wrap all frames, and pay the added $5 charge. On tires, I dont, because they are too easy to box.

I believe x.system is correct in that I dont think USPS has this charge, but typically on heavier items like this, their shipping charge is usually a lot higher.

Banage
07-28-2005, 02:37 PM
i got 2 tires fron rockymountainatv.com, they were just in shrink wrapping together, and a lable on that.

skippy
08-01-2005, 11:52 PM
go into kinko's w fedex and drop them off.. it will be cheaper then the post office, even parcel post, without a box!

ScottZJ
08-02-2005, 07:00 AM
I use Fedex ground all the time and with tires they are the cheapest. I usually just tape and zip tie them together and it works. There isnt any extra charge at mister fredex. I have also put them in a box and shipped them at that. I dont think they were ever over 25$ to ship, but it depends on the area.