PDA

View Full Version : New style engine

cmracer15
02-09-2003, 02:42 PM
Has anyone else heard about the new engines?? they are suposed to be a mix between a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke. the reason why im guessing is because all the complaints about the 2 strokes being banned here soon because of polution. well from what i have heard right now..its going to be a 2 stroke,but not burn oil..it will have a different sort of lubricating system on it..but still have the same sound and power as the 2 strokes do today..they just wont "polute" because they wont be burning oil. im not sure who is going to make them or what size they would be..this is just what i heard from my neighbor who had to go to some big meeting about them..but they probly wont be out for quite some time. sounds like a good idea to me though

ATCRYDER
02-09-2003, 08:35 PM
It doesnt sound like you are sure about what youre talking about, sounds like one of the folowing to me:

1. Fuel Injected 2 stroke

2. New Lightweight Piston 4 strokes (like the CRF450). It allows them to rev almsot as far as the ol 2 strokes.

maybe? no?

Rob

HemiChallenger71
02-09-2003, 08:52 PM
Anyone remember 2 stroke diesel's? That's probably what they're doing, or some other kind of method for induction and exhaust with 2 compression rings and one oil ring.

cmracer15
02-09-2003, 08:52 PM
your guess is as good as mine. i dont realy know all the facts..but ill ask my neighbor again here soon and ill let ya know..he told me this a couple weeks ago so i cant realy remember it all.

Chris

FullBore
02-11-2003, 12:04 PM
Not too sure what you're talking about!
The 2 stroke diesels had to be supercharged, and usually had 4 exhaust valves per cylender and inlet ports like 2 strokes with wet sump this resulted in lots of unburnt fuel in the exhaust and they were very bad on emissions http://auto.howstuffworks.com/diesel-two-stroke.htm You are maybe talking about the strato-charged engine, its 2 stroke and they use a special inlet system, I'm not sure how it works but its here http://www.zenoah.net

Nat

TimSr
02-11-2003, 01:23 PM
Anybody remember Suzuki's rotary engines? I guess you could call it a 3 stroke!

350Xrider
02-11-2003, 02:10 PM
Yep, I have a TS and a TM 400 Suzuki and they don't have reeds or anything, the old rotary valve motors were probably the best reliability wise and everything, no reeds to ever buy or wear out or anything.

lushatc200x
02-11-2003, 03:08 PM
yeah what he said he's never ridden one but he knows the reliability of them ;) just a thought but until you ride it you really cant say much for it. :D sumtin to think bout jes'us

theeechozen1
02-11-2003, 06:07 PM
I think a rotary motor would be perfect for offroad, they are small, powerful and can be modded almost like a 2-stroke (port and polish--big gains from intakes, xaust modifacations) hey why not??

wanta250r
02-17-2003, 01:00 AM
they used to make 3-stroke motors back in the 1920's or something.

TimSr
02-17-2003, 01:30 AM
Suzuki used an actual rotary engine in some of their street bikes in the 70's. This was not the TM or TS which was a normal two stroke before reeds became commonplace. The piston was like 3 sided and it did a staggered rotation instead of going up and down. Really strange. Mazda was rotary engines in cars. Must not have left much of an impact since even the oldtimers dont seem to remember them!

Ace Mon
02-17-2003, 03:25 AM
I believe the rotary suzuki was called the RE .

YTZ250N
02-20-2003, 11:24 PM
The rotary motor is called a Wankel motor it is a tru rotary motor, used in snowmobiles and that little mazda... RX-7 I think.
http://www.wankel.net/awankel.shtml

TimSr
02-20-2003, 11:46 PM
Ahhh, you guys know what Im talking about in the last two posts! Hers what I found - http://www.rotaryrecycle.net/re5.asp

I know a guy that has one of them bike. I am 99% sure it's the same.
Howdy

theeechozen1
02-21-2003, 11:39 AM
Nice find Tim! I guess I'm too damn young to know they actually made such a thing, I wonder what kind of power they could get out of one of those if made with todays technology?? Prolly make one hell of a streetbike, the turbo rx-7 makes 260++ h.p. out of just 1300cc! My neighbor is competeing in a backyard race deal where you have 2000.00$ to buy a car and build it into a racecar without going over budget, He found an old RX-4 witch has the 13b rotary--they converted it to carberation from fuel injection and they are actually going to be pre-mixing their gas!! The thing that sucks about this race is that you have to drive the car to Florida to compete--long haul from AZ

ATCRYDER
02-21-2003, 11:45 AM
A buddy of mine ended up with a little red Merc coupe with an RX7 engine dropped into it, last summer. Im no car guru anymore (got that out of my system when I was a boy!) but I always thought his little Rotary powered Merc convertible was the utlimate road toy without being some little trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro driving around in a wasted Civic. UNFORTUNENETLY: A few months ago, he was taking a turn and his steering column locked on him. He was sent whirling into a tree. THe car was totalled, he was a little bumped but for a guy not wearing his seatbelt (and crashing @ 45mph)....he was in perfect shape. The thing I remember about that little rotary was the sound, it was like a deeep deep throat 2 stroke almost.

theeechozen1
02-21-2003, 12:48 PM
a rotary is pretty much like a 2-smoke, well I guess 3-stroke....no valves or anything like a four stroke

theeechozen1
02-21-2003, 12:49 PM
uh huh huh.................you sed deep throat-- :D

Falstaff
02-27-2003, 06:47 PM
Rotary engines (Wankel) are 2 strokes. They do have a unique sound, I have one in a snowmobile!