PDA

View Full Version : Mmi

DIGGER DOG
07-30-2005, 09:19 PM
well folks ive just completed clinic1 engines, transmissions and final drives at motorcycle mechanics institute in orlando fl (MMI) and just finished week 1 of clinic 2
frame, suspension,wheels ,tires and last but not least brake systems.

Clinic 1 was awesome i tore down from top to bottom a 350X engine approximately 4 times they also had 250ES engines and liquid cooled 250R engines.
I did not however have a chance to play with the ES or R engines as Im old ,havent been to school for a couple of decades and was behind on other B.S. tasks that I will probably never utilize in the industry.
I also tore down top to bottom a XR 100 engine and the top end of a harley big twin this clinic was fun!!!!!

I tripped out as soon as I walked in the door of clinic 1 to find a shelving unit filled with ATC engines about 8 each 350X 250ES and a few 250Rs .
I doubt seriously that I will work on any more ATC stuff while im here at least untill I get to my electives HONDA and YAMAHA approx 17 weeks down the road.

I highly encourage those of you ( if anyone actually reads this thread) that are in high school or just out or those of us older than dirt folks thinking of a carrer change to check out MMI It is awesomely fun and in the 10 weeks ive been here have actually learned alot and somehow miraculousely retained it .
some of the instructors are cool and others dont really care if you learn or not
that kinda tweaks me as im spending $18,200.00 for this education but even in the one clinic where the teach could care less I got a 4.0 GPA from the clinic.

Any how the school is awesome this is coming from a 37 year old that hasent been to school for about 15 years if you do decide to go dont get discouraged the first six weeks because that is all book work in theory oddly, enough i learned alot there that has helped me out trmendously in clinic1 and no doubt in other clinics to come .
you also get killer discounts on snap on tools 50% discount while attending MMI
discounts at sears for crafstman, also discounts at a place called MSC for things like vernier calipers and micrometers dial bore gauges etc.. its like a whole sale tool clearance house or somthing??

So far these clinics have been reletivly easy but Im sure its going to get harder down the line like I believe clinic 3 is electrical systems something I cant do too well nor do I like electric systems either but hopefully ill get an instructor thats cool and wants to actually teach something other than not giving 2 chits ,that has been my only gripe about the school is some not all but some instructors dont care about teaching they will instruct a group of students for instance how to properly use a dial bore gauge and in turn those students will show another group of students and so on and so forth and when you dont get it and ask the teach. they are a smart ***** about it.

I guess im rambling Im good at that the school is awesome check it out i would definately check it out if you are planning to go to the other bike school ATI I think is the name ?? not sure I think MMI is better and the big 5 in the industry spend big $$ on MMI + the job placement I also mentioned MMi and The other school in Daytona at my local small shop and they said If I went to MMI I would be hired definately they said the leaders in the industry prefer MMI grads over any other school.

Yatta yatta writing a book here school is great check it out .

jeswinehart
07-30-2005, 09:54 PM
I am glad too hear that all is going well.

john

BIGCRIP28
07-31-2005, 02:05 PM
steal all those engines and put them on ebay. :D

MTS
07-31-2005, 02:19 PM
I will keep this in mind, i intend to go to one after highschool, i am starting my apprenticeship allredy though RAP in my school, as a motorcycle tech, basicly i log all the hours then go to school and have enought to go through 1st and 2nd year apprectice allredy, flordia is a bit of a stretch for me tho LOL. maby.

Kintore
07-31-2005, 05:47 PM
I was thinking of doing the same thing of like a mechanic. This year for grade 11 I am going to be apprenticeship of my local ATV/motorcycle shop. I cant wait to start, I love tweaking engines!

DIGGER DOG
07-31-2005, 09:35 PM
actually the engines are trashed I would never try to run one you might be able to scrounge a few parts off of them though like kick starter shafts maybe an inner case
or outer case most all the bolt holes in them are stripped out and heli coiled ( hate em heli coils) out of 8 engines you might and thats a big might walk out with 1 complete engine but i even doubt that after all the heli coils ive seen these motors have been taken apart literally thousands of times ive also seen on most oth them the mounting holes that you would put bolts through to mount to the frame have all been bent to where you couldent even mount it to a frame I dont know if they have been dropped repeatedly or if the Honda factory or dealership hammered them in so they could never be mounted on a trike but they were fun to take apart .