PDA

View Full Version : Washing the DOG !!

bigredhead
08-02-2005, 04:54 PM
Ohh Man.

Once a year, only once. Thank god. :lol:

Get out the soap and mix it up.. get out the at least 3 beach towels it takes to semi-dry her out, Take the shirt off.. and the watch, and the phone, and leave all that in the kitchen. Kuz you know ****'s gonna get WET !!!

By this time.. the dog has figured it out, she's hiding some place in the house.. usually under the kitchen table between the chairs with her tail lodged between her legs.

So.. gota resort to blackmail " Hey Sandy !!.. Want a TREAT ! ".. :twisted:
But even that don't do it.. she knows better at this point.... so i chase the thing around the table for a bit and finally get my hands on her.

Now.... not sure how many of you are familiar with " Samoyed's ".. 40 lbs of white hair.. kinda looks like a husky, loves snow.. hates water. They repel water very well.. so it takes for ever to get her soaked down... but once she's wet.. my god man... i bet she weighs double.

Got love the part where you reach over for the soap and they Fly out the tub and run for their lives thru the house all soaped up.. leaving a trail 30 feet long ... 2 treats later she's back in the tub !! :D

Then is the dredded hair blower... that thing is like god zilla, one wrrrrrrrrr and that's it.. she freaks.... so i let her !. and just chase her around the bathroom for a half hour with it until she's fairly dry.. then i let mother nature take over....

I just got done this horrible job. Glad it's over.. She had a Rrrruf time i tell ya.

nouseforaname90
08-02-2005, 05:03 PM
Yup.. I know what you are talking about. It takes me, my brother, and my dad to wash my dogs. Me and my brother hold 'em down, while my dad washes them.
Our one dog, Maggie, is a white lab and very old (almost 15 years).. she hates water, so since she is so old, my dad doesn't bathe her anymore.. we just let her be.. nice and peaceful.

My other dog, who is a year and a half old, also hates water and it takes a TON of water to soak him down, alot of soap to get him soaped up, and even more time to get all of the soap out of his fur. He's one giant puff ball of hair when he is dry, but when he is wet, he's TINY! He hates baths, and you should see the effort it takes to hold him in that wash tub.. lol (its a big metal tub my dad has just for washin the doggies.

Here are a few pics:

This is the little mutt Max in his pen:
http://www.supload.com/thumbs/default/DSCN0542.JPG (http://www.supload.com/free/DSCN0542.JPG/view/)

Heres a close up of Max.. hehe.. so cute:
http://www.supload.com/thumbs/default/DSCN0547.JPG (http://www.supload.com/free/DSCN0547.JPG/view/)

And here is Maggie last winter havin fun in the snow:
http://www.supload.com/thumbs/default/Snow Maggie.JPG (http://www.supload.com/free/Snow Maggie.JPG/view/)

MTS
08-02-2005, 05:08 PM
haha my friend has a samyoid i cant belive you actually washed it hahah he takes it to the groomers for 50$ and is done with it lol

wheelie king
08-02-2005, 06:18 PM
Three times a month for mine. He doesn't even fight it anymore. He knows the drill! :lol:

bigredhead
08-02-2005, 07:08 PM
3 times a month ???? For medical reasons or what gives ? That's way too often, it dries their skin out what not.....

And well i rather spend 50 $ on the trike, Sams are the kind you usually bring in but i'm too cheap . Besides , i don't have a car and this animal sheds like crazy , all the time, and not many of my friends like having her aboard their new cars !! lol..... only the friends with dogs understand this concept !

I just got done clipping the nails and trimming the hair between the paws.. she'd gettin it all done today damit !

And even tho i used the hair dryer for over a half hour, and walked her in the wind outside for another hour.. she still leaves wet spots when she lies down.. arghhhh

Now i gotta de-hair my bed !

MTS
08-02-2005, 07:14 PM
3 times a month ???? For medical reasons or what gives ? That's way too often, it dries their skin out what not.....

And well i rather spend 50 $ on the trike, Sams are the kind you usually bring in but i'm too cheap . Besides , i don't have a car and this animal sheds like crazy , all the time, and not many of my friends like having her aboard their new cars !! lol..... only the friends with dogs understand this concept !

I just got done clipping the nails and trimming the hair between the paws.. she'd gettin it all done today damit !

And even tho i used the hair dryer for over a half hour, and walked her in the wind outside for another hour.. she still leaves wet spots when she lies down.. arghhhh

Now i gotta de-hair my bed !
well this is a outside dog so she gets really dirty haha...wash or get out the sheep shears!

OldSchoolin86
08-02-2005, 07:39 PM
About once every 2 months here. LOL, I just put the swim trunks on, turn on the shower and get right in there with the dogs. They calm down an AMAZING amount when you get in there with them. I know it's wierd but hey, it works great.

azhondagrl
08-02-2005, 07:59 PM
I take a shower with the dog while I wash her......she still puts up a little fight, but she'll deal with it to be pet and cleaned. =)

jjjg-02
08-02-2005, 08:34 PM
We have an 80 lb black lab, and she gets one once a month, if not twice. She knows the drill and takes it like she should, cause she knows once she's done, it's over and she can be a dog again....

ATC crazy
08-02-2005, 09:19 PM
Our dogs dont know what a bath is....they are outdoor pets 98% of the time.

wheelie king
08-02-2005, 09:32 PM
Not for medical reasons. Just cleanliness. Fleas and tick are really bad here in FL, especially in the rainy season (now). They need baths with flea shampoo often, or they can really suffer. Me personally, I use the old Florida bird dog hunter secret.....I cannot believe I am revealing it.......BLUE DAWN soap. Yes, the blue dawn dish soap- do not ask me why-- discourages fleas and ticks like an expensive commercial shampoo. Works great.

bigredhead
08-03-2005, 12:12 PM
After all that work. i may as well post a picture !!

Here she is.. nice and clean ! :w00t:

foster
08-03-2005, 12:31 PM
LOL, Sandy seems to have a 'pained' look in her eyes!
My doggie-dog goes to the groomers' three or four times a year. I let them deal with it.

Here's Cody, king of all he surveys!

bigredhead
08-03-2005, 12:39 PM
Yeah.. the pain thing is from an intense brushing session..

You gotta brush them BEFORE you wash them.. and again after.. otherwise they get all matted up and the only way out is scisors.

Samoyed's are awsome.. and they keep clean for a white dog, teflon coated or something.. but bath time royaly sucks.

nouseforaname90
08-03-2005, 01:08 PM
Yeah.. my dog is like that too. You have to brush the CRAP out of him. We get about 4 5 gallon buckets or more of hair off of that dog in the summer.. and thats just the first brushing session of the year.

Lots_Of_Nothing
08-03-2005, 01:18 PM
Try washing this fool;

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/3541/119fm.jpg

Husky/st. bernard mix. Good ol' hairy mutt.

No need to clean him in the winter, he enjoys burying himself in snowbanks and running like a maniac.

In the summertime, Good luck keeping him clean. All that hair, even if you do get him trimmed, he still likes to dig a nice deep hole in the dirt and lay there all day. While eating dirt and whatnot. (notice his dirt-stained "beard", I gotta trim that everytime)

When bathtime comes, you have to shut all the windows in the house, all the doors, etc. There has been plenty of times where he has made leaps of faith out the window and hit the ground running. :crazy:

bigredhead
08-03-2005, 01:22 PM
I brush mine every week.. sometimes a few times a week. depending on season.

It's easier to detail a trike than a dog.. at least the trike don't move as much !

I've been collecting a bag full of the cleaner brushings and will have it spun.. gona have a good winter neck cover to go under the helmet !

DX Rider12
08-05-2005, 11:31 AM
Here is my brittany spaniel named Elton.

Dammit!
08-05-2005, 12:00 PM
I just tie the dog up out on the backporch and use the hose. He doesn't like it but he doesn't put up much of a fight. Much easier to rinse the soap out with the higher pressure of the hose than a removable shower head or a big cup.

And before anyone says it's cruel because the water is cold, there's no such thing as cold tap water here. :p

3 weelin geezer
08-06-2005, 07:48 PM
Not mine. I call them and they stand at attention all pointer like. Cops were driving by one snowy day and they parked across the street and watched me wash my dog. I use warm water so they don't get all cold. If they start to shiver, I start pouring more water. I keep them in the house so its at least once a week. Like it or not its bath time not time to chase cats or cars or the mail man. They get their treat afterwards so its not like they know its coming they know they will get something good. Means to an end or whatever they say.