PDA

View Full Version : 900cc Quads

dirtydan
08-02-2005, 09:26 PM
I want to hear some bets on how long and who do you think will come out with the first 900cc quads, because each year we see the cc range just going higher and higher and I was just wondering who can best guess when and who will they come out?

P.S. I think that in 2007 Polaris will do it. (and i'm only saying that because they came out with the first 800)

ATC crazy
08-02-2005, 09:27 PM
Late 2007, arriving for the 2008 season.

OldSchoolin86
08-02-2005, 09:33 PM
I thought there was a limit on how many cc's were alowed???

250r'en +TCB
08-02-2005, 09:35 PM
^^^ How big is the chassis??? LOL that seems about the only limit these days!!!

wheelie king
08-02-2005, 09:36 PM
Polaris will do it. I'm sure that Wickedfinger will gig me for this, but......We can always count on polaris for a hurried, underengineered, impractical, heavy, machine that is the "newest thing" in the ATV world- with some name like the "thrasher". :rolleyes:

Just look at that waste of a sport quad with IRS. Huh???? :crazy:

dirtydan
08-02-2005, 09:44 PM
I thought there was a limit on how many cc's were alowed???

If there is such an animal i've never heard of it

250r'en +TCB
08-02-2005, 09:58 PM
I agree wheelie king, polaris should just stick at what they do best, snowmobiles!!!
......IRS sport quad, what a joke.....................

200xadam
08-02-2005, 10:08 PM

yea i saw that, wasnt it called the "Outlaw" or something, it was in a dirtwheels issue.

but hey you need some crazy company out there to try new stuff out, maybe IRS will be the new thing for TT races. or maybe it will be the beggining of the true sport utility quad...

but i think that suzuki will be the first to make a monster 900..they just seem like there ready to let loose and make some crazy machines. i say it will be released late 2006 with a 2007 tag on it.

AirManCam
08-02-2005, 11:41 PM
I don't know why all you guys are dogging the outlaw. I say, don't dog it untill you ride it. It's only 24(ish?) lbs heavier than the preditor, and I know damn well you will be able to ride it faster in the woods, and possibly on the track. It will take up bumps better, and most likely cornerbetter, but all in all ride better period. Just hope they have good stock shocks, wouldnt wanna buy 4 elkas LOL.

thehickfarmer
08-03-2005, 11:06 AM
the maximum they can do is either a 800 or 900. beacuase anything bigger is no longer considered an atv. i think its then a ruv or a small car. i'm gonna look into this.
Marko

edog
08-03-2005, 11:20 AM
Yamaha will.

thehickfarmer
08-03-2005, 11:21 AM
we already have a 900 cc quad.. its called a smart car.

Wickedfinger
08-03-2005, 12:29 PM
I personally don't think they will go much over 800cc's. There simply is no reason for it. Bombardier putting a 62 horsepower v-twin into that 4x4 is pretty over the top. Even though I'm 100% that its an outstanding machine in everyway - the chassis cannot simply use that much power. The same can totally be said for the Brute Force. The motor overpowers the quad. Also, there is a weight issue that has to be a factor in going too big - the motors are going to weigh too much. I know the 800efi motor in the Sportsman pumps out a rediculas 55hp stock according to AAENs dyno - more impressive than that is that it delivers a chassis shattering 51.8lbs/4800rpm of torque. Thats just far more than is needed in any conceivable situation. It needs it though to a certain point because of the near 800lb dry weight. If you are talking pure horsepower - in comparison: the twin 700efi sportsman puts out 45hp - the '05/06 version of the Predators Fuji/Subaru 500 motor pumps out 50hp - and its probably close to half the wieght of the 600/700/800 twins. I know that the twins are going to have a much higher torque number - but - if you can get that much horsepower, reliably out of a smaller, lighter motor and for probably half to 2/3's the cost of the twins ...... do the math. I guess I'm just not a 4x4 guy and torque means not a lot to me. I don't see the need for such monster motors except for bragging rights. Yamaha seems pretty content to leave the Griz at 660 for now. I would, however, be completely shocked not to see it use the Raptor 700's efi motor soon though.

200xadam
08-03-2005, 12:52 PM
I don't know why all you guys are dogging the outlaw. I say, don't dog it untill you ride it. It's only 24(ish?) lbs heavier than the preditor, and I know damn well you will be able to ride it faster in the woods, and possibly on the track. It will take up bumps better, and most likely cornerbetter, but all in all ride better period. Just hope they have good stock shocks, wouldnt wanna buy 4 elkas LOL.

i dont think that it will be able to corner better, if you think about it comming into a corner both shocks on one side will compress and it will lift your other side off the ground, and you will probobly flip because the shocks that are not compressed will decompress. but i think it would be good for TT, because when your lowered theres really not too much of the suspension, but if you go into a corner and both tires sink on TT you will go around the corner better i think.

YAMAHA_Jim
08-03-2005, 05:09 PM
Yamaha has a 4 cyl 1000cc snowmobile and thats still classefied as a snowmobile,not a vehicle
A 4 wheeler is a 4 wheeler or quad, Its one of many machines that are classisfied as atv's,,dirtbikes,trikes,jeeps,sandrails,etc are all ATV's.I didnt know of any laws or regulations stating a limit to cc's for quads.
I'm waiting for some gearhead to throw a supercharged 350 chevy into a quad chassis; hey,a 350 was built into a streetbike ** why not a quad????
Anyways,thats my 2 cents,,,,carry on :)

Wickedfinger
08-03-2005, 05:49 PM
I'm waiting for some gearhead to throw a supercharged 350 chevy into a quad chassis; hey,a 350 was built into a streetbike ** why not a quad????... git'er done Jim!. How about a Tri-Z 350(ci)

MTS
08-03-2005, 08:54 PM
They also make the boss hoss with a 572 in it...hah

deathman53
08-03-2005, 09:28 PM
one place where I ride alot of these guys ave these "ute" quads, they are like jeeps, I don't know which is bigger. I can see a 1000cc "ute" quads in the near future, these things are 700-800 pound dry wieght, they need big motors to move them and some guy is gonna want to have the bragging rights to say "I have a 1000cc motor in my 900lb quad". you guys know whats really funny, our trikes have more than half the weight as these "mini" jeeps and have motors almost half as big and will fun cicles around them "mini" jeeps. I find that just plain pathetic, 20 yr old bikes with half the weight and half the motor size running cirles around these "mini" jeeps. god forbid you get one of them stuck in the mud, good luck getting them out.

corndawg
08-04-2005, 12:24 AM
2 words, Geo Tracker......my buddy bought one that had been rolled over and cut all the body off of it and built a rock crawler looking cage for it and put a plastic body on it , it is just one huge assed quad lol and i think its got a 1600cc engine, it will fit most places on the trails where a sportsman will

AirManCam
08-04-2005, 11:38 AM
2 words, Geo Tracker......my buddy bought one that had been rolled over and cut all the body off of it and built a rock crawler looking cage for it and put a plastic body on it , it is just one huge assed quad lol and i think its got a 1600cc engine, it will fit most places on the trails where a sportsman will
That whole sentance didn't make sense. Rephrase it, spell check it, and put some damn periods in there will you please?

rm125zr440
08-04-2005, 02:39 PM
I sure as hell hope they put an end to the CC war soon, All these big machines have destroyed many trails that i used to love going dirtbiking on when they were dry and only had small ruts but now since there have been atv rally's with dozens of these 1000 LB beasts the trails are notihng but long stretches of mudholes. Another thing that should be considered about these things is the safety, I know around here alot of the people that own the 650+ CC quads are the type that gets drunk and goes quading all day and people end up in the hospital with broken necks because trhey flipped there 800 pound quad on them or even worse they let there 10 year old kids ride them :confused: . But anyhow thats just what i tihnk about huge quads like those.

corndawg
08-05-2005, 12:30 AM
That whole sentance didn't make sense. Rephrase it, spell check it, and put some damn periods in there will you please?
I guess thats what happens when im running on a couple hours sleep.

2 words:Geo Tracker......My buddy bought one that had been rolled over. He cut all the body off of it,built cage for it, and put a plastic body on it. Its pretty much just one huge assed quad. I think its got a 1600cc engine. The tracker AKA "Rokon" will fit most places on the trails where a sportsman will.

Tri-ZNate
08-06-2005, 07:50 PM
As long as there is a market there will be bigger and bigger quads. I dont think there is a cut off for CC's though because our Polaris ranger either has a 500 or 750 cc engine in it but it is classified as one of them Utility vehiculars like the Gator.

monster 84r
08-06-2005, 10:21 PM
sorry if this offends anyone, but utility atv's are way too large these days. me and my dad hunt every year on a 4x4 300 fourtrax, this bike has gone through hell, and brought back a few elk on its journey back, it does the job and some. but how are you suposed to hunt on a 800cc atv? their so huge, that they wont fit on the trails we use. polaris needs too learn to make a more potent motor, and that you dont need so many cc's. im perfectly content with a honda 300: powerful, and reliable motor, that makes great power for its size. ive seen a few 650's and 800's that couldent make it through a tight trail, or maneuver over big rocks, logs, and mud. giant utility bikes arent as awesome as everyone makes them out to be. makers need to squeeze more power out of their motors, because in my opinion, atvs these days are too big. if someone really needs something that big, get a max 6x6. 24horse b&s, 6 wheel drive, and it floats!

brapp
08-16-2005, 09:20 AM
http://www.twistercrankshaft.com/Images/custom2.jpg i ahve seen a 920cc banshee tripple motor and i have seen dual cr500 cylenders on a bansheebottom end also

chris200x
08-16-2005, 09:26 AM
sorry if this offends anyone, but utility atv's are way too large these days. me and my dad hunt every year on a 4x4 300 fourtrax, this bike has gone through hell, and brought back a few elk on its journey back, it does the job and some. but how are you suposed to hunt on a 800cc atv? their so huge, that they wont fit on the trails we use. polaris needs too learn to make a more potent motor, and that you dont need so many cc's. im perfectly content with a honda 300: powerful, and reliable motor, that makes great power for its size. ive seen a few 650's and 800's that couldent make it through a tight trail, or maneuver over big rocks, logs, and mud. giant utility bikes arent as awesome as everyone makes them out to be. makers need to squeeze more power out of their motors, because in my opinion, atvs these days are too big. if someone really needs something that big, get a max 6x6. 24horse b&s, 6 wheel drive, and it floats!

i agree 100%. I was at a dealership yesterday snooping around and I was amazed at how large some of these quads are getting. :crazy: My first thought was Holy smokes!!! I would hate to have to push that thing home or out of a mudhole! Save yourself the trouble and get a winch. btw I had one of that 6x6's at one time an it was awesome!

RedRider_AK
09-15-2005, 02:04 AM
I heard Bombardier is making a 1000 Outlander...

350xBomb
09-20-2005, 08:54 AM
Polaris will do it. I'm sure that Wickedfinger will gig me for this, but......We can always count on polaris for a hurried, underengineered, impractical, heavy, machine that is the "newest thing" in the ATV world- with some name like the "thrasher". :rolleyes:

I couldn't have said it any better.

Xhumeka
01-15-2018, 11:26 AM
Stumbled across this thread... interesting to see who's predictions came true over a decade later! (leave it to the Russians to get the top secret intel back in 2005!!)

super90
01-15-2018, 11:41 AM
This is pretty funny. To the moon.

lndy650
01-21-2018, 12:22 PM
ya its neat to see what predictions were right or close. i like how people were picking on the outlaws irs it happens to be the best riding 4 wheeler ive ever rode. ill take 25 pounds of weight to have 4 fox or ryde fx shocks under me. and its not tippy at all

Xhumeka
01-21-2018, 12:59 PM
ya its neat to see what predictions were right or close. i like how people were picking on the outlaws irs it happens to be the best riding 4 wheeler ive ever rode. ill take 25 pounds of weight to have 4 fox or ryde fx shocks under me. and its not tippy at all

DirtTrax loved it - wonder if they still love it so much with all the new sport quad options...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azhxCcFjIE4

lndy650
01-21-2018, 05:18 PM
someone up above thought it might lean around corners but it has a stabilizer/anti-roll bar in the rear so its actually really nice. im on my 2nd 525 irs and i personally prefer it over the newest 450s. i may be a little bias but on the tight trails around here i kick the crap out of 450s.249563