PDA

View Full Version : Bearing Failure?

jasenr
02-09-2003, 09:00 PM
How can you tell when a bearing is failing? My front right hub makes a little noise when rolling. It still rolls freely and smoothly. The rear axle "shimmies" about 1/8" side to side in the eccentric and it will rock up and down in the eccentric about the same. My Trail Boss doesn't do this. Is this something I should worry about now or later? All wheels turn smoothly. Any thoughts? Thanks...

ATC crazy
02-10-2003, 08:46 PM
Put your hand on top of the wheel and push in and out. If if rattles or clunks or you feel free play in it then its time for replacement. Sounds like your rear bearings have gone too

jasenr
02-13-2003, 05:14 PM
Yup, they were out. I replaced front and rear. There is no longer any free play and they turn smoothly. However, they do not seem to spin as long as they did with the old ones. Some people have told me that after a couple of rides, they would spin longer. Has anyone noticed this on anything else? After I torqued down the hub nuts, they turn longer and even smoother. I thought I may have over tightened my front hub nuts, but they seem to turn smoothly with no problems. I think I may have discovered a problem with my torque wrench.

skippy
03-12-2003, 08:29 PM
sounds like your on the right track!