PDA

View Full Version : Turn me on to some new metal!

Pistonhead
08-07-2005, 11:58 AM
Hey, I know there are lots of metalheads on this site (including myself :) ). So I'd like to hear of some new (to me not "oh havent you heard this is the new genre of metal") bands that are awesome. 80's or new as long as they are awesome! I'd make a list of the bands I already have cd's from but that would take along time (check the first page under the lets see what you coolect post!). I'm going to go buy that new Mastodon "leviathan" cd pretty soon because it rocks.

Mobular
08-07-2005, 07:35 PM
So you like power metal?? Check out Wolf ( www.wolf.nu ). They're from Sweden (where most of the good stuff nowadays is coming from!), been around for a couple of years and are in my current top 5 list. Also check out Dream Evil, Widow, Seven Witches, 3 Inches of Blood(from Van.) and Storm Warrior. All highly recommended!

Pistonhead
08-07-2005, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the tips man! I'll be onto those bands as soon as I'm done my current metal search, Today I discovered Exodus and Forbidden. :twisted:

Pistonhead
08-07-2005, 08:48 PM
Oh yeah Widow was in the back of the july issue of brave worlds and bloody knuckles thanks for reminding me to check them out!

Mobular
08-07-2005, 10:13 PM
You just found Exodus and Forbidden??? Holy crap, man! I was listening to that stuff when it was new. I'll have to go through my old goodies and dig up some treasures! Check out Testament and Metal Church (first 2 albums)too!

Pistonhead
08-07-2005, 10:22 PM
My problem was I wasn't alive when all the awesome 80's stuff came out! I already know of testament and own practice what you preach, I'm also buying low soon. I just heard metal church today for the first time and also like most of their stuff. I am a thrash kind of guy!!

Six Stroke
08-07-2005, 11:59 PM
Did you ever get into any Mudvayne? I kinda dig math metal.

Mobular
08-08-2005, 02:00 AM
Check out Destruction. They were the the top of the heap of German Speed metal in the mid 80s. Albums to check out would be Sentence of Death, Infernal Overkill, and Eternal Devestation.
Some other cool 80s groups would be Carnivore, Armored Saint, Exciter, Anvil, Helloween, Manowar, and Running Wild.
Ya like Machine Head? Look for Vio-Lence. That was Robb Flynn's outfit prior to M.H.
A great resource site is: http://www.bnrmetal.com/ Loads of info there!

Pistonhead
08-08-2005, 02:00 AM
I was never a huge mudvayne fan, although most of the babes around here like them.

Pistonhead
08-08-2005, 02:26 AM
Thanks man! I just found anvil today as well.

Mobular
08-08-2005, 04:46 AM
When checking out Testament, the albums The Legacy and The New Order are a must!

AZ250R
08-08-2005, 06:59 PM
You just found Exodus and Forbidden??? Holy crap, man! I was listening to that stuff when it was new.
EXODUS "tempo of the damned" came out in 2004, how new do ya want!?!?!? IMO its their best album so far BTW.

Check out NEVERMORE, love that band, singer is from the 80s band Sanctuary which I wasn't so into @ the time.
How bout a couple good old Arizona Hardcore bands, Flotsam and Jetsam (they just had a new album come out last week), and Sacred Reich.
Another I'm really into right now is Arch Enemy (new album last week too), its a chick singer with a super rough voice so if your not into that then they might not be for you. She sounds like "Golem" from Lord of the Rings on crack IMO. But way 80s guitar rifs.

I always thought the 80s metal sound could possibly die out, thank GOD it looks like it NEVER WILL!!! :beer

Pistonhead
08-08-2005, 07:20 PM
For sure man metal (especially the 80's sound) had almost died out amongst the kids here, especially where I live, but thanks to a few diehard metal warriors like myself and my buddies we are going hard again and "spreading the disease"!!!!!

SpeedBump
08-08-2005, 09:03 PM
http://www.disturbed1.com/ Can't seem to get a couple of their songs outta my mind...Sickness and Stupify....crank em! Here is a link to hear a few.. http://www.mtv.com/bands/az/disturbed/artist.jhtml

Pistonhead
08-08-2005, 10:05 PM
Yep, I got the sickness album and the believe album back in grade 9. Theyre okay, I'm more of a thrash person though.

CHAINSAW
08-08-2005, 10:58 PM
Ill share a few of the hidden good metal bands I like
First off Brick Bath. These guys are un f'n believable and its beyond me why they are not known like Lamb of God and others.
You might of heard about them, but Diesel Machine. This is Pat Lachmans (the lead singer from Damage Plan) old band. He plays guitar and sounds like a Dimebag clone in his riffing.
Byzantine is another really good band, but they are getting more well known. They have influnces from everywhere, and it shows in their music.
A band that Im not sure if they are still around or not, Syx, not styx.. I didnt misspell.. haha. They are a really young band and only put out one CD.
Another young band is Sicks Deep You might of seen their lead singer on the show Battle For Ozzfest. Check out their stuff because its all got a good.
If your into the heavier stuff, I reccomend Decaptiation, and Glass Casket. If you wanna hear the best drummer in death metal, listen to Decaptitaion. That guy has the double bass going like a couple of machine guns on the song Spheres of madness,,.. so check that one out.

And if you havent allready bought it.. BUY THE NEW DEVIL DRIVER Cd... IT OWNS!

Tri-ZNate
08-09-2005, 06:00 PM
How bout theory of a dead man? I just started listening to them and they're not too bad.