PDA

View Full Version : CannonDale quads..

Lomax
08-08-2005, 03:07 PM
I found a couple of CannonDale quads this weekend. A Moto and a Canibal. They are both basically a basket case but the potential is still there to make some truley remarkable machines out of them. I know that brand new both these machine were right around 20 grand. I can get them both for 1300 bucks as is. Does anyone on here have a Dale or know anything much about them? If nothing else I was thinking that a fuel injected 440cc trike could surely be something interesting.

Jason Hall
08-08-2005, 11:31 PM
If I had a cannondale I would somehow flip the rear axle & carrier & put a 250-r engine in it, until I could find some other 4-stroke engine besides the origional engine. From what i have heard the origional engine's don't hold together, & are hard to get parts for. I raced two of them on the ice with a 89 250-r about 3 winters ago, & they do run pretty good, & handle real good. But before long one would not start after a spin out. I guess you have to mess with the mapping on the feul injection/timing. The one was owned by a quad dealer service guy, & he had er running sweet. But it still had a tough time hanging with the old 89-r. For that money I would have to have them!!! Wanna tell me where they are? :lol: :wondering

Billy Golightly
08-08-2005, 11:47 PM
BUY IT! You can have ATK (www.atkusa.com) go through the whole motor and update the crankshaft and fix ALL the problems that they had for around a 1,000 with labor and then you have an awesome quad. Theres still not much out there that compares to them. Definetly nothing technology wise.

CHAINSAW
08-09-2005, 02:08 AM
If your mechanically inclined, buy them!! Ive got a 2003 Speed, and its the nicest machine Ive ever owned or even ridden. Infact I wouldnt mind having another one or 2. This thing is killer, and I love it. You can update the motors so they will be reliable, and I strongly suggest it on all pre-owned cannondales. It wasnt until May of 2003 that they finally started balancing the cranks, so that is the big problem with them. You will also want to do the stage 8 bolt update, and motor mount update. Ive been doing a lot of research on them, since I got mine.

One thing about them, they are high maintanence compared to other 4 stroke machines. If you have been around old 2 stroke 3 wheelers, it wont be anything new for you though. You have to change the fuel filter every 5 hours of ride time, and change the oil every 10 hours. Everyone that I have read that does follow that, hasnt had any problems with them at all. Its the people who get on them and ride the piss out of em, and do no maintanence that have troubles.

Also, the Elka shocks off the moto are almost worth the price for both machines, not to mention the bead locks if they are still there. Parts are still available. With ATK making them, and updating them, along with Dinli coming out with theirs next year, parts are still around. Just think of it this way.. its like a newer 3 wheeler (only made a few years, then died an early death). The parts are out there.. its just a matter of finding them. The only thing that is getting hard to find, is cosmetic stuff, like some colors of fenders. But again, with Dinli coming out with the same machine, just different plastic, there will be new stuff available soon.

Ive had a lot of luck with these 2 forums.
http://www.cannondaleriders.com/
http://www.cannondaler.com/

Also, if you do buy them and have extra parts, I might be interested in some of them. Lemme know if you do get them, because its well worth the money.

Lomax
08-09-2005, 12:25 PM
I have been doing alot of research on them and I have learned alot in the last 24 hours. Thanks for the links chainsaw. It seems like a sound investment to me and if/when i get them and get at least on of them running again it will get an easy life for sure. Mainly just a trail rider with the occaisional sand trips. I am going to contact the owner of the machines this week and arrange a time that would be good for both of us. wont be until the end of September so I have to see if he can let them hang around that long. shouldnt be a problem because most people dont want them because eveyone is kinda scared of them as far as parts and things. I kinda look at them like the old Tigers in a way. Around for a few years, gone most of them got tossed and 20 years later there worth a mint. Kinda wonder if the Cannondales wont do the same thing??

CHAINSAW
08-09-2005, 01:27 PM
I think it will come around, where they will be worth a lot. They were way ahead of their time, there is no denying that. The aluminum frames, oil running through the frame, the reversed cylinder, the cassette tranny, and EFI... this quad was designed perfectly. The reason the price was so high, each one was hand made, every frame was tig welded by a person, not a robot. Its a damn shame the company had to let the quads go, because they really never got a chance to fix all the little problems, and show how advanced they were.

ATC crazy
08-09-2005, 07:23 PM
Also, the Elka shocks off the moto are almost worth the price for both machines,

I thought all Cannondale's used Ohlins? :wondering

CHAINSAW
08-09-2005, 09:40 PM
Im not positive, but as far as I can tell every year is different, and most machines are setup different.
From the info I can find, the Cannibals had either Arvin, or Ohlins up front, and always Ohlins on the back. The Speeds and the Glamis always had Ohlins both front and back. Now the Blaze, and Moto's had Ohlins on the early years, but I know at least one year (might of been 2003 only) had Elkas in front and back,.. or was at least an option.

Info on these things, are about like the info on a tiger or cagiva trike... its hard to come by and you get lots of conflicting info.

chris200x
08-09-2005, 10:16 PM
This is a DuMB question but why did they stop making them?

Lomax
08-09-2005, 11:38 PM
The company spent so much money into R&D and the development of the machines that they counldnt recover there loses fast enough. The machines never had time or the sales to pull themselves out of the negative from what I understand. Oh, the CannonDales are mine, they are just waiting on me to pick them up

CHAINSAW
08-10-2005, 12:05 AM
Sweet man. If you are wanting to make some money back, Id be interested in some parts. Mainly just cosmetic stuff, especially if one has a full fendered front. The guy owned mine, liked race cut, and I dont like the race cut look.

Lomax
08-10-2005, 01:31 AM
Well, i didnt have the full amount i needed to get them both (been a slow last couple of weeks, self employed can suck at times) so I am letting a buddy of mine pick one of the up (prolly the canibal) for some of the mentioned price there is a 3rd set of aftermarket fenders in the lot. stock moto's stock canibal's and an aftermarket set of Reds. When i get them here and we decide what we are going to do then I might have a set left over, it depends on if he wants them or not.

CHAINSAW
08-10-2005, 01:13 PM
yeah man if you would. Even if you decide not to get all of them, find out how much he wants for a couple of sets.