PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep birds away?

Yamahauler
08-11-2005, 01:34 PM
I am trying to keep the pigeons away from making nests behind the sign at the place I work. I went and pulled all the nests down yesterday and put mothballs up there thinking it would stink enough to make them not want to put a nest up there, but there back.
So what can I do short of shooting them? Is there a magic potion I can make?

bigredhead
08-11-2005, 02:10 PM
Get creative..... i'm sure there is a say.

Fan blades come to mind..........

Tri-ZNate
08-11-2005, 02:24 PM
spray wasp and hornet spray up there. If nothing else it will give them a head ache. or let them make their nest then mix rat poison and water together and put the mixture in their nest. It will get on their wings and as they clean they will lick the stuff and die. thats just off the top of my head. Like bigredhead said. Be Creative. ooooo and if it is a steel building use lighter fluid :twisted: . Ever seen a flying ball of flames? :D

Ah HA I'm a genious! start feeding them bread at work. Then one day put an antacid in the bread and pop goes the pigeon :naughty:

1984kxtTECATE
08-11-2005, 02:42 PM
12 gauge shot gun works dandy :twisted: or instead of shooting em, fill a coke bottle with some gun powder, use duct tape and tape around the pottle, get a electrical fuse and your set. :twisted:

bigredhead
08-11-2005, 03:05 PM
there are better ways than to kill them....

In the garden aluminum foil works well... lay down a crinkled piece and weigh it down with a few rocks for a week or so... they hate the stuff.

Kintore
08-11-2005, 04:23 PM
My uncle to kill Seagulls used to throw antacid and french fries out the door, like 250sxwheeliepop said, pop goes the birdie!

Mobular
08-11-2005, 05:24 PM
Get a pound of grain, soak it in the cheapest liquor you can get. When it's good and soaked, leave it out for their supper. Once they've had their fill, simply pick up the soused birds and dispose of them.....

jeswinehart
08-11-2005, 06:00 PM
i think if you get a very good look alike owl and put up near the sign the pigeons will loose interest in the sign.

john

Lomax
08-11-2005, 06:37 PM
We put rubber snakes in our fruit trees at the house to keep all the birds out from nesting or eating the fruit. Works great, If I could only keep the raccons out now.....

Yamahauler
08-11-2005, 06:51 PM
tin foil actually works? I dont think I can blow them up since theres often people walking under the sign
I wonder if I could kill one, and leave the body up there. maybe the other ones wouldnt want to make a house right beside there friend's dead body.

wheelie king
08-11-2005, 09:08 PM
String FISHING LINE everywhere. It is clear, cheap, and the pigeons will hate it cause they cannot fly freely in an out. Works well.

Yamahauler
08-11-2005, 09:10 PM
they've been kicking all my mothballs down, so ive been throwing them at them, keeps them off the sign for about 30 seconds.
I'm going to try and find a chemical that stinks bad and maybe they'll go away

Dammit!
08-11-2005, 09:14 PM
Around here people use roofing shingles with nails sticking up through them. No where to land.

Lots_Of_Nothing
08-11-2005, 10:16 PM
you can get bird electric tracks.. kind of like an electric fence, but its "tracks" that lay across the roof/whatever and are hooked to a power source. they land, zap. Doesnt kill them, but it sure as heck makes them think twice about landing.. Something like this would be very easy to make out of stuff laying around the garage.

bigredhead
08-11-2005, 10:35 PM
Get yourself a Super Soaker or even better a pressure washer !!!!!....

They smell bad.. giv'em a bath !

seadoo650
08-11-2005, 11:19 PM
When I workded at a dealership a ways back they had the same problem and found some stuff from your local hardware store. It's kind of like silicone sealant but it stays sticky. You even put it on with a caulking gun. They make it specifically for birds.

Yamahauler
08-12-2005, 01:04 AM
O ya, I know of that acoustic seal you put in spearker boxes, you put it in a caulking gun and it doesnt dry, well, at least not very fast, but I will have to look for something when I go into the city

Mobular
08-12-2005, 10:43 AM
Yep, that gooey stuff works good too! Once they stick their boney footies in it, they won't return...

bigredhead
08-12-2005, 11:11 AM
Yeah.. but it will make a permanent MESS of the place...

Lay a piece of plastic or plywood or something under the stuff so you can remove it later on.

83200e
08-12-2005, 12:59 PM
One method we use to keep birds off the fruit trees is to use reflective things,such as vcr tape,crappy discs you get in the mail,or thick strips of cellophane.Anything that is refelective that moves easily with the wind.Looks kinda tacky but works well.

bigredhead
08-12-2005, 01:15 PM
Hey.. how bout seran wrap !!!

I can imagine them now " Hey george.. stay away from that place.. it's got frickin invisible walls man... weird stuff. ".. lol...

AirManCam
08-12-2005, 02:50 PM
Put some pneumonia around the area you dont want them, works like a charm.

bigredhead
08-12-2005, 03:02 PM
uhhhh.. that's " Ammonia "

and yes.. that's actually a very good idea..

My neighbor had a horrible time with birds tearing up his garbage bags apart and now he sprays them with ammonia and they are left alone......

Check the grocery store in the cleaner section for it.. cheap.

slothminx
08-12-2005, 03:22 PM
Hey.. how bout seran wrap !!!

I can imagine them now " Hey george.. stay away from that place.. it's got frickin invisible walls man... weird stuff. ".. lol...

lmfao thats great first thing i have properly laughed at all day. i dont know but would coating the area in thick grease make them think about getting their little feeties dirty lol i might exsperient with this i gonna go put some bread out and coat it thick in grease.

bigredhead
08-12-2005, 03:32 PM
Try the ammonia.... it gives off fumes that birds HATE.......just leave some in a cup or put it in a spray bottle and mist the area.... ( migth want to dilute it a bit if it's painted in color.. as it's pretty corosive.. )..

Yamahauler
08-12-2005, 06:50 PM
How could I keep the ammonia from washing away when it rains?

AirManCam
08-12-2005, 07:13 PM
Yes sorry, I had the cold's version there :-p

bigredhead
08-13-2005, 12:05 AM
It's cheap stuff... just refill them once in a while.

They should stay away while you have fresh coat on there and in time they will find another place to go....

Just load up a spray bottle and spray around the place they nest at once a day for a few days... see how it goes.

foster
08-13-2005, 12:33 AM
The 12-gauge shotgun: the solution to -- and the cause of -- all of my problems . . .

corndawg
08-13-2005, 12:59 AM
bird baths full of antifreeze?? thats how we keep mice out of our pole barn. kills them within a day. only bad thing is it will kill cats, dogs, or any other animal :wondering

YAMAHA_Jim
08-13-2005, 08:16 AM
I say have some fun with it and get some of them spring loaded Victor rat traps,,or mouse traps if ya just want to pinch thier beaks,haha.I dont know what to use for bait cuz I dont know what they eat I dont like hurting animals but when they dont get the message,you gotta do what ya gotta do, lol

Tri-ZNate
08-13-2005, 08:21 AM
I dont know what to use for bait cuz I dont know what they eat

Well anything that might be diseased like the corn from cow *****, they love that stuff

bigredhead
08-13-2005, 08:45 AM
A deck full of mouse traps would be entertaining as hell.......hahahahahaha..

Get a camera if you can ... i can imangine it now.

Clap.... clap ....... clap clap.. clap clapclap...

AirManCam
08-13-2005, 10:54 AM
Well, I thought I would add, WD-40 birds absolutely HATE that smell..espicailly pigeons. Sounds absurd, but try it trust me.

Oldshell4481
08-15-2005, 07:36 AM
haha ammonia wont bother them they live in piles of their own feces that lets off ammonia, i would invest in some pigeon traps and trap them and either have them relocated or tie a rope to the trap and toss it in a pond for about 5 minutes (55 gallon barrell full of water would work also), fake owls work for a little while but they eventually get used to them, birds can land around shingles with roofing nails, and they could also end up being a hazard, when my grandfather wanted to get rid of the pigeon problem at his work he had to have the pigeons caught and exterminated due to the fact that pigeons will find their way back.

bigredhead
08-15-2005, 09:03 AM
BB Gun with Salt shot !

nouseforaname90
08-15-2005, 10:51 AM
A supersoaker filled with acid that burns real bad when it hits you. Birdy burn to a crisp = birdy that ain't gonna bother you any more.

bigredhead
08-15-2005, 11:14 AM
That would do a nice job of the paint on the store too !!!!... hahahah don't think that's such a good idea !

AirManCam
08-15-2005, 02:31 PM
haha ammonia wont bother them they live in piles of their own feces that lets off ammonia, i would invest in some pigeon traps and trap them and either have them relocated or tie a rope to the trap and toss it in a pond for about 5 minutes (55 gallon barrell full of water would work also), fake owls work for a little while but they eventually get used to them, birds can land around shingles with roofing nails, and they could also end up being a hazard, when my grandfather wanted to get rid of the pigeon problem at his work he had to have the pigeons caught and exterminated due to the fact that pigeons will find their way back.
I'm gonna have to disagree, if he sprays ammonia up there, they WILL stay away. Same as WD-40. Both WILL work.

bigredhead
08-15-2005, 03:10 PM
I agree.. their poop and cleaning ammonia are wayyyy different.

AirManCam
08-15-2005, 03:45 PM
Not only that, their craap dries in like 30 seconds, and after its dry it doesnt smell.

Yamahauler
08-15-2005, 07:02 PM
I'm going to try WD-40 tomorrow, I think it might work. They kicked down all the moth balls, so much for that idea, haha.

3 weelin geezer
08-16-2005, 01:54 AM
I had a problem with mournng doves making a nest above my truck and all I did was to spray some flourescent green paint right where they made the nest so that I could see them if they were there to shoot them with my .22 bb gun. They used to come looking for the nest I burned down look around at all the green and realize: "hey! I stick out like a sore thumb!" and they left. A few have come looking at the 'real estate' but find the white left now that its been bleached by the sun to be a very unpleasant color. That and all the burned carb cleaner smell used to get rid of stinky bugs and ants eminating from down below.

3 weelin geezer
08-16-2005, 01:59 AM
Not only that, their craap dries in like 30 seconds, and after its dry it doesnt smell.

Dude! you havent been up top to those carports at gas stations where pigeons live have you? Its just that the air currents waft the smell right over your head. It does stink and it stays there. All you need is some cool air and moisture and that poo is unbearable :drool: . Worse than cow manure I think. 100% guano.