PDA

View Full Version : What alloy are aluminum rims?

Yamahauler
08-15-2005, 09:18 PM
I need to know the alloy on my Tri-Z rims. I found a place that can reanodize them. Its a place in Ontario, there website is http://www.qualityanodizing.ca.

My rims are pitted, so I was thinking of sending them to a differant place first (www.carcone.com) to get the old anodization off and get the pits out of the rims.

This will probaly be very pricey, I emailed them asking for ballpark estimates, so if anyone knows another alterantive, I'm open to suggestions.

250rAL
08-15-2005, 10:34 PM
As long as you're redoing them, why not start with new ones? Except maybe that 12" front!

Yamahauler
08-15-2005, 11:28 PM
They have to be completely stock, 100%, its going on my OEM tri-z. Unless you can find stock looking ones.
Is there anyway of finding out the alloy of aluminum?
Someone teach me something about this alloy stuff, I don't know what I'm talking about :rolleyes:

corndawg
08-15-2005, 11:29 PM
we have a foundry in our metal shop at school that we produce our own alum stock in. sombody brought in an "alum" wheel off of z400 for us to melt. i know for a fact that those aluminum wheels have some amount of magnisium in them. we attempted to melt it, it melted but we noticed that the incenerator thing wasnt acting quit right so we pulled the pot out. wow the brightest white/silver flame i have ever seen. we put asbestos ceiling tiles underneith our molds when we pour so we dont mess up the concrete floor, this stuff ate right through the asbestos in less than 10 seconds. some idiot yelled get water. thank god me and a few other people in there knew that that would just make it worse

3 weelin geezer
08-16-2005, 02:07 AM
Yeah, cold water on molten aluminum with burning magnesium on top. Very smart. Next time step away and let smokey the boob at it. Whats he doing in a foundry if he doesnt know this just makes it worse? Btw, where do you get firebrick for the foundry? I have been looking to make me one out of a 55 gal drum but I can't seem to find any suppliers. I wanna make an aluminum guitar similar to Joe Satriani's 'chrome boy'.

corndawg
08-16-2005, 10:29 PM
Yeah, cold water on molten aluminum with burning magnesium on top. Very smart. Next time step away and let smokey the boob at it. Whats he doing in a foundry if he doesnt know this just makes it worse? Btw, where do you get firebrick for the foundry? I have been looking to make me one out of a 55 gal drum but I can't seem to find any suppliers. I wanna make an aluminum guitar similar to Joe Satriani's 'chrome boy'.
not really sure where we get them, we've been using the same equipment as long as ive been in that school. we go back friday, ill ask the instructor then