PDA

View Full Version : Audio/Electician Experts (Question)

atcmatt
08-20-2005, 07:13 AM
I was installing a Kenwood Cd player into my ute yesterday and I accidently touhed 2 speaker wires together. I figure I killed/fried the inbuilt amplifier in the headunit because I can still hear sound when on full blast, though it is really faint and distorted and with ANY bass it muffles and crackles.

Is there anything else I could have fried?

I know I can just use an outside amp to run the system, but at this stage cannot afford it.

Does anyone know if these inbuilt amps can be replaced?

What to they look like? Physically that is? (Picture would be nice)

Thanks for any help.

Matt :wondering

Lots_Of_Nothing
08-20-2005, 12:11 PM
There should be a few fuses underneath the cover. Kenwood is usually really good about that (put a fuse on everything to prevent expensive damages). Take it apart and look through them.

TeamGeek6
08-20-2005, 10:36 PM
Its destroyed the final amplifier (yes, Ive got 20+ years in electronics service). It must not be short circuit protected or it should not have been damaged.

There might be a flat- pak amplifier IC with 8-20 pins, try taking it apart and look for a big black thing near where the speaker terminals connect to the board. It might say "STKxxxx" on it. They arent terribly expensive, but are a bugger to change.

yes, kenwood is (or was) good stuff, I wouldnt expect that to happen.

atcmatt
08-21-2005, 12:55 AM
Thanks for both replies.

Jared, I took it apart and there was only one fuse in the whole unit.

Teamgeek, if I was to pull it apart and get you a photo, would you be able to tell me what needs to be replaced if it has blown the amplifier?

Thankyou both.

Matt

TeamGeek6
08-23-2005, 11:33 AM
Possibly not. Its better to take it apart and trace the output leads into the circuit board and see where they lead to. The final amplifier IC is usually the largest ones inside, except for maybe a power regulator.

AZ250R
08-23-2005, 07:54 PM
Take the picture, let us look @ it. More often than not I'll find whats wrong just by it being BURNT physicaly. And the "pre-amp" curcitry usually has less tollerance for shorting out than the final "power amps". Troubleshooting can be as simple as visual / olfactoral (not sure of the real word but I mean smell) in some cases and is well worth a try. Then you can go into some actual circuit analisis and start the "hair pulling". :mad:

atcmatt
08-24-2005, 06:47 AM
Meh, dont worry about it, I got angry with it and smashed the absolute crap outta the thing. Theres my damn temper again. What a waste of $40, oh well lucky it wasnt more. Im thinking of now buying a xplod headunit for 40 bucks, are they any good ?

Thanks Anyway.

Matt

seadoo650
08-24-2005, 04:44 PM
Meh, dont worry about it, I got angry with it and smashed the absolute crap outta the thing. Theres my damn temper again. What a waste of $40, oh well lucky it wasnt more. Im thinking of now buying a xplod headunit for 40 bucks, are they any good ?

Thanks Anyway.

Matt

NOOOOO!!! We always had problems with Sony Xplod equipment at my shop. You're better going with either Alpine or Eclipse. Eclipse has a three year warranty if it is installed professionally and they start in price from $179.99. Pioneer is also decent along with Kenwood.

In my honest opinion I would not to buy any audio electonics online. 90% of the stuff brought to us to install is faulty.

Just a little background. I've been installing car audio systems professionally for 14 years now. Try going to a local retailer or speciality shop. Stay away from the net for these purchases. You get what you pay for.